The Student Room Group

nitration of benzene derivative (ch6) -please help

For my coursework we carried out a 2 part experiment And I'm stuck on some of the evaluation questions.

preparation 1: Nitration

I converted methylbenzene carboxylate (methylbenzoate) to methyl-3-nitrobenzenecarboxylate by adding sulphuric and nitric acid and keeping the temperature below 10°c, then pouring the solution over ice, filtering and washing it then recrystalising it from hot methanol.

preparation 2: Hydrolysis.

I converted the methyl-3-nitrobenzenecarboxylate to 3-nitrobenzenecarboxylic acid by refluxing it, mixibg in concentrated hydrochloric acid then cooling it, filtering it, then recrystalising it.

1) suggest why the yeilds in preparation 2 are higher than in preparation 1.

2) state the nature of the initial product of the reaction of methyl-3-nitrobenzene carboxylate with aqueous sodium hydroxide, and explain why this is substantially more soluable in watrr than the 3-nitrobenzenecarboxylic acid finally obtained. Explain also why it is here in preparation 2, necessary to acidify the reaction mixture.

3)outline a simple technique whereby you could confirm experimentally that the mr value for 3-nitrobenzene carboxylic acid was approximatley that hiven in your instruction sheet. (Think the answers titration but not sure what to write).
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Thank you, I didn't know how to put in a forum on my mobile.

Quick Reply

Latest