The Student Room Group

How long would it take to be proficient in HTML/CSS?

I'm more or less a novice and have been using online resources to teach myself HTML. Realistically, how long would it take me to be at a level where I could make a fully developed website? (like those powered by Shopify). I hear HTML is basically child's play compared to actual coding languages.

Scroll to see replies

HTML is the basis for most languages so having a good knowledge is always extremely helpful.

HTML isn't too tricky to learn once you wrap your head around the basics.

Try learning from sites such as codecademy and you'll pick it up super quick. I would however also pair that with reading some literature on it and maybe look into some night classes or such? :smile:
Reply 2
It actually depends on how much effort you put. The more you play with it, the more you'll know.
I picked up html when I was 15. :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by GnomeMage
I picked up html when I was 15. :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm after the duration really. 15 to when?
Original post by jpow
I'm after the duration really. 15 to when?

15. I was trying to make a point that html is easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by GnomeMage
15. I was trying to make a point that html is easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I gathered. So would you say a month or two?
Reply 7
You can't make a fully working application like Spotify in HTML alone. You need other PROPER programming languages web programming languages like PHP or Javascript, which takes years to get good at it. To be able to make something like spotify, you'd need at least 2-3 years of experience to be able to make it to that standard. There is more to spotify than meets the eye. There's security, algorithms, data management, servers, there's so so much involved.

Also spotify makes use of databases, which is something you have to learn how to use.
Reply 8
Original post by Async
You can't make a fully working application like Spotify in HTML alone. You need other PROPER programming languages web programming languages like PHP or Javascript, which takes years to get good at it. To be able to make something like spotify, you'd need at least 2-3 years of experience to be able to make it to that standard. There is more to spotify than meets the eye. There's security, algorithms, data management, servers, there's so so much involved.

To make something /like/ Spotify you might need a few years to know where to get started, but one person with that much experience couldn't get close to building something to that standard - Spotify is probably the result of thousands of developer-years at this point.
Reply 9
Original post by estel
To make something /like/ Spotify you might need a few years to know where to get started, but one person with that much experience couldn't get close to building something to that standard - Spotify is probably the result of thousands of developer-years at this point.

Thousands of developers? I doubt it. Definitely not a thousand, I don't think you need a team of more than 50 developers to create spotify. I could easily develop a fully working Desktop version of spotify myself in less than 1 month with my less than 2 years experience in programming.

Offcourse there will be a lot of bugs, and holes, but you get the idea. I'd be able to create a working project. Only thing is that, I probably won't develop it to industry standard, because I haven't had such experience. But I do know where to get started, and I know the type of things to get an app like that to work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Async
Thousands of developers?

Err... You need to learn to read better. You're replying to someone talking about developer-years, that is number of developers * time working on it.

But the OP was actually asking about Shopify.

Edit: I've just looked on the Spotify website and they're hiring 25 technical people right now (primarily engineers) so they clearly have more than 50. I don't think you realise how many people you need to develop something that complex at that scale...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Push_More_Button
Err... You need to learn to read better. You're replying to someone talking about developer-years, that is number of developers * time working on it.

But the OP was actually asking about Shopify.

Edit: I've just looked on the Spotify website and they're hiring 25 technical people right now (primarily engineers) so they clearly have more than 50. I don't think you realise how many people you need to develop something that complex at that scale...

I have acute dsylexia, I don't read words word for word, I just eye ball words and my brain just takes a guess.. Happens to me all the time, and it sucks during exams.

Anyway, I was talking about spotify for one platform not multiple platform. I know they have way more than 100 developers working on the different ends, I'm talking about the amount working on a specific platform. Does doing the actual coding. I don't think you'd need that many developers.

But I have no doubt that it has taken developer years.
Original post by jpow
Yes I gathered. So would you say a month or two?

if you are really dedicated i'd say two weeks.

CSS on the other hand is significantly more complex
Reply 13
Original post by Sycamores
HTML is the basis for most languages

...?
Original post by Planto
...?

I'm unsure as to what you don't understand? :confused:

Most people start out with learning HTML before then going onto other programming languages.
Reply 15
(ignoring the Shopify stuff that op actually cares about)

Original post by Async
Anyway, I was talking about spotify for one platform not multiple platform. I know they have way more than 100 developers working on the different ends, I'm talking about the amount working on a specific platform. Does doing the actual coding. I don't think you'd need that many developers.

It totally would, even for one platform.

Like most large applications, Spotify's technical problems are mostly those of scale. And it's a really, really, really difficult problem. After that, building software for multiple platforms is relatively a piece of cake.
I'm unsure as to what you don't understand? :confused:

Most people start out with learning HTML before then going onto other programming languages.

I'm willing to say this isn't true for 'most people.'
Reply 17
Yes HTML is child's play compared to programming languages. It's a markup language.

More importantly a site like Spotify will use multiple languages in combination.
For example:
HTML for the content, JavaScript for interactivity, CSS for the styling and positioning. C# for logic on the server. SQL for interacting with a database.

If you focus on HTML and CSS you could probably learn to create a basic site in a couple of weeks. The CSS will be tricky to get exactly how you want it but that comes with practise.
It will be no spotify though :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't say there's any difficulty to HTML at all. I still don't get CSS positioning :erm: though.
The time it'll take to learn HTML (not a hard language to learn at all) will depend entirely upon how much time you're able to dedicate to learning it and how serious you are about learning it. Also, it'll be an ongoing process as you'll need to make reference to the docs here and there and that will definitely be the case with HTML5.

HTML is the basis for most languages

This isn't true. HTML is a markup language and has no impact on someones ability to learn scripting languages or general purpose programming languages. There are lots of people who add content to websites and can use HTML but have no ability at all when it comes to scripting or programming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending