The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Applying to King's but not one of UCAS choices?

I called KCL's admissions department a few days ago and was told that I can contact them in August post-results day and, depending on my grades, they may consider me for the Religion, Politics and Society degree as places are usually available. I have offers for universities through UCAS and I'm starting to reconsider the choices I wanted to firm.

I have yet to firm but SOAS is my first choice, with City being my insurance choice. However, if I have the opportunity to go to King's, I would.

My question is; if I firm now, can I not change my mind by August? Can I withdraw my place at SOAS for a place at King's without complications (student finance, UCAS application etc.)?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I think you could, based on your grades if King's is higher you can do it through UCAS extra.
Phone king's up and ask this as they are the ones accepting you.
And yes it's recomended that you go to the uni you firm, but techincally you can call them up and say i'm not going, and they can't physically drag you there :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
So, just to confirm, you can technically contact directly to the admission office for your desired course after you have had your results? (even given that KCL was not one of your choices on UCAS?)

Thanks in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello, I am firming SOAS for IR, but planning to go through Adjustment in August.

You can make SOAS your firm and, only if you exceed the condition of your offer, register for Adjustment after results day in August. Than you can call universities asking them if they have vacancies. If you do so, you won't lose your original offer. If you eventually get an offer, you will have to ask you original firm and insurance choice to release you. Regarding student finance, you have to apply before August, but you can call them and adjust your details if you get accepted. The most difficult thing is accommodation, but if you are planning on doing just King's it will not be a problem.

Of curse, if Adjustment doesn't go well, you can always give up on your original offer and reapply next year, you aren't bound to SOAS.

Why don't you want to go there, btw?

Hope it'll be useful :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by marsbms
Hello, I am firming SOAS for IR, but planning to go through Adjustment in August.

You can make SOAS your firm and, only if you exceed the condition of your offer, register for Adjustment after results day in August. Than you can call universities asking them if they have vacancies. If you do so, you won't lose your original offer. If you eventually get an offer, you will have to ask you original firm and insurance choice to release you. Regarding student finance, you have to apply before August, but you can call them and adjust your details if you get accepted. The most difficult thing is accommodation, but if you are planning on doing just King's it will not be a problem.

Of curse, if Adjustment doesn't go well, you can always give up on your original offer and reapply next year, you aren't bound to SOAS.

Why don't you want to go there, btw?

Hope it'll be useful :wink:

SOAS has slipped again the league tables for 2016, falling almost 10 places. The overall reputation, credibility and academia of the university has been declining for the past decade and I can pretty much see myself regretting the decision three years from now. I've also experienced the notoriously poor administration as an applicant so I can't imagine what it's like being a student!

I applied for Social Anthropology but I'm thinking about applying for International Relations for Adjustment! I contacted King's the other day and was told that it was oversubscribed and popular, so it'll be unlikely to get a place. I may also apply for Queen Mary.
Reply 5
Original post by jakepro94
SOAS has slipped again the league tables for 2016, falling almost 10 places. The overall reputation, credibility and academia of the university has been declining for the past decade and I can pretty much see myself regretting the decision three years from now. I've also experienced the notoriously poor administration as an applicant so I can't imagine what it's like being a student!

I applied for Social Anthropology but I'm thinking about applying for International Relations for Adjustment! I contacted King's the other day and was told that it was oversubscribed and popular, so it'll be unlikely to get a place. I may also apply for Queen Mary.

Hello again Jakepro94!
I was wondering if you managed eventually :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by marsbms
Hello again Jakepro94!
I was wondering if you managed eventually :smile:

Hey, thanks for asking! I actually didn't meet my predicted grades (unfortunately) but was still accepted into SOAS. I attempted to get a place at Queen Mary and KCL through Adjustment but, obviously, there were other applicants with much better grades and I was rejected. I actually had a dilemma between City and SOAS but eventually opted for SOAS. Considering my grades, I'm grateful for the opportunity and will try to make the most out of my experience, despite the negative perceptions of the institution.

How about you?

Hey, thanks for asking! I actually didn't meet my predicted grades (unfortunately) but was still accepted into SOAS. I attempted to get a place at Queen Mary and KCL through Adjustment but, obviously, there were other applicants with much better grades and I was rejected. I actually had a dilemma between City and SOAS but eventually opted for SOAS. Considering my grades, I'm grateful for the opportunity and will try to make the most out of my experience, despite the negative perceptions of the institution.

oh the irony.
Reply 8

How about you?

I exceed my offer, so I called King's, Warwick and Exeter.
KCL offered me BA Geography, that is interesting but not really what I wanna do, so I'm going to Warwick in September :smile:

I am still not completely sure about my decision though, letting go London was sad and SOAS would have been exciting.

You'll be fine, I'm sure. After all SOAS is great for IR/Anthropology and it has some amazing opportunities abroad!

Keep me informed, so I can know if I should regret SOAS or not :wink: ahah

Quick Reply

Latest