The Student Room Group

PhD work payments

Hi there... I was wondering could any of you tell me about payments PhD students receive for doing work on University (teaching, grading, demonstrating, ecc.).
Does this only apply to taught PhD or research PhD students as well?
And most importantly, if you are funded by a scholarship- do you still get paid by the university for doing this work?
Tnx
Reply 1
Very much depends on the uni and department I think. At mine, PhD students are paid hourly on a casual basis for things like lecturing, marking, lab assistant work etc. Each bit of work has a separate one-off casual contract and nothing is stipulated in PhD contracts about having to work. There was no distinction between different PhDs (although none of ours were taught) and the source of funding wasn't taken into account.

The department did go through a year of not paying us to teach, on the grounds that it was professional/career development and therefore a training activity. That was firmly sat on when the department was moved to a different faculty and payment was resumed.

It has to be said that the undergrad students didn't like being taught by PhD students where I was, as it was looked on as a cost-cutting exercise. There were therefore only occasional opportunties to teach or lecture. It may be different elsewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
PS. Taught PhD? Or do you actually mean taught Masters?
Original post by sydneybridge
PS. Taught PhD? Or do you actually mean taught Masters?

Maybe a professional PhD? (http://www.docs.sasg.ed.ac.uk/academicservices/staff/curriculum/what_is_a_professional_doctorate.pdf)
Reply 5
PhD students get paid hourly for marking/demonstrating/tutorials etc at my uni and it comes through the university HR payroll and is completely separate from the stipend we get monthly through the uni from research councils or whatever charity is funding us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a straightforward AHRC or similar research council studentship, then taking on any teaching hours would be the decision of the student and would be paid.

There are however some 'University provided' funding arrangements that have a certain number of teaching hours as a condition of the funding. These positions are often called something like Graduate or Teaching Assistantships.
Reply 7

Thank you very much, you all answered my question. I am on AHRC scholarship so everything is clear :smile:
Original post by Acis
Thank you very much, you all answered my question. I am on AHRC scholarship so everything is clear :smile:

No problem. Any money from teaching will be in addition to your stipend. There is a maximum amount of hours you can work over your research time whilst receiving AHRC money, but can't imagine that any department would let you touch that ceiling as a GTA.
Reply 9

Postgraduates teaching in arts and humanities subjects are the least happy with their pay: they work the longest hours and earn the lowest per hour in real terms.

Students in STEM subjects work the least hours and receive the most pay per hour in real terms.

Surprising. :colonhash:
Reply 10
A larger proportion of students from Russell Group universities did not receive a contract. Around 42 percent of students at Russell Group institutions were not given written contracts according to the data, compared to only 30 per cent at all other institutions.

WTF?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending