The Student Room Group

Labour threat to democracy - outlawing 'Islamaphobia'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by German123
No, i was stating a simple fact.

Islam unlike Christianity has some brutal portions stated about people who do not comply with their beliefs.

I think when you get into subjects like killing gay people and eye gouging. Which set of texts is slightly less atrocious, than the other, becomes irrelevant.
Original post by dyslexicvegie
I think when you get into subjects like killing gay people and eye gouging. Which set of texts is slightly less atrocious, than the other, becomes irrelevant.

No, it becomes relevant because culture tends to have an impact on religion and people need to stop generalising.
Original post by Europhile
Jews are a race of people. Islam is not a race.

No they are not. There are jews from all around the world. Either everyone should be protected under the law or no one should be give special treatment
Original post by German123
No, it becomes relevant because culture tends to have an impact on religion and people need to stop generalising.

Ur comment makes little sense.
So are you saying that it is Islamic culture rather than their texts that make regula Muslims so much worse than Christians?
Original post by golden tribe
No they are not. There are jews from all around the world. Either everyone should be protected under the law or no one should be give special treatment

Jews are 'more of a race' than muslims. There distinct genetic differences (like unusually high intellect).

Belief and race are protected under the same legislation in this country.
Original post by dyslexicvegie
Ur comment makes little sense.
So are you saying that it is Islamic culture rather than their texts that make regula Muslims so much worse than Christians?

Well, it could do.
Reply 86
Jews are a race of people. Islam is not a race.

So that makes Muslims a race?
Reply 87
Original post by Ahem-
So that makes Muslims a race?

Nobody said that.
Reply 88
Nobody said that.

Well if Jews are a race then surely that makes Muslims a race as well.
Reply 89
Original post by Ahem-
Well if Jews are a race then surely that makes Muslims a race as well.

Logic isn't your forte, is it? :rofl:

Good grief. I thought when Easter finished all the kids would go back to school. I was soooo wrong.
Reply 90
Logic isn't your forte, is it? :rofl:

Good grief. I thought when Easter finished all the kids would go back to school. I was soooo wrong.

Do explain and resorting to personal attacks, how mature.
Reply 91
Original post by Ahem-
Do explain and resorting to personal attacks, how mature.

It wasn't a personal attack. It was a general comment made towards a section of TSR as a whole that included you. However, you weren't singled out.

As for the logic comment, well its pretty obvious that the rule is not applicable in all cases.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/23d8qr/eli5_why_are_jews_treated_more_like_a_race_than/

Hope the above helps clarify. I've neither got the will or the time.
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/newspaper/top-stories/labour-to-outlaw-islamophobia-says-miliband-in-an-exclusive-interview/

No offence but anything should be allowed to be criticised. Typical again that political parties in the UK want to remove even more freedom of speech and infringe upon our rights as human beings.

How can you even define Islamaphobia? Someone gets a bit angry that you said something bad about their beloved religion or God and the next thing you end up with a criminal record.

What a farce.

What is Islamaphobia? What Do People Have Against Islam?
Reply 93
lol @ people trying to compare anti semitism laws to islamophobia laws.

You've gone from supporting plaid Cymru to ukip in a matter of days. Why?
Reply 95
Original post by Davij038
You've gone from supporting plaid Cymru to ukip in a matter of days. Why?

Registered to vote in England as opposed to Wales. Wont vote for the establishment parties so UKIP it is. Plaid were also happy to give a referendum on the EU, may I add.

Also, I'm not staying in the country so it doesn't really affect me anyway.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Bizarre. Religiously aggravated crimes are already outlawed. I don't understand what he is intending to legislate here.

This. Contrary to what some of the righties are trying to infer, all he's really talking about is Islamophobia as an aggravation of other crimes, rather than Islamophobia as such being a crime. But iirc that's already the law. :confused:
Original post by cake_lover
So like anti-semitism or what? Can't be bothered to read the article.

Debating religion is fine, being discriminative to someone because of their religion isn't. I guess for some they get confused between the two.

Define discrimination.
Original post by averageteen16
What really confuses me is that why you people only pick out these kind of points from the labour party and then act like they're the basis argument on why not to vote red? You can get a criminal record for being anti Semitic and the Jewish people have crimes against them reported under a special category but no one complains about this? There is so much hate present for a group that is only 5% of the UK. How can we close the anti integration gap when people like yourselves rely on media orientated specific views of Islam to dictate your opinions? Every religious group has/had extremist members, nobody bases Christianity off Hitler and Judaism off Slave ownership. Why can't we just all live with tolerance in a secular society in the UK?

One sensible comment here amongst a load of nonsensical morons thinking they are teenage Einsteins. An apt username (average teen), whilst the others claim to exhibit some sort of political/social masterclass by targeting Islam as the root of all evil looking to take over the world, somehow discussing tactics and using the Labour Party as their tool to rule Britain. TSR seems to be a hotbed for an intolerant bunch these days who crop up on the same threads, crying about the 'status quo political correct establishment' and thinking UKIP will save the UK from some sort of crisis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by golden tribe
Unfortunately much of the Islamophobia is fueled by the jewish community

You ever lived in West Yorkshire? I've met few white people (we have Bradford and Dewsbury - produced at least 4 terrorists in the past decade) who have much positive to say albeit there's a Muslim group vs Muslim individual problem (i don't think people dislike individuals, but they have a negative perception of them as a group).

It's also interesting that while down south it's common for very white constituencies to vote anti-immigration more than immigrant constituencies however in my parents and uni constituencies (Batley and Spen, Leeds West) there's a lot of immigrants and the 'racist' 2010 vote was still 2-3 times the national average. This may reflect immigration from Muslims round here rather than eastern Europe down south.

The final thing to say is that i think the reason why London likes diversity but people don't here is that in London and Bradford for example the proportion of white Brits is the same (45%) however in London the second largest group is 12% and Christian/atheist like the UK, in Bradford it's 25% Muslim and increasing. So in London you have genuine multiculturalism, in Bradford you have one group replacing another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending