The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester - Pros and Cons

Hello. I'm going to be studying in UoM, Architectural degree, and I would just like to know the pros and cons of UoM and Manchester in general.

Thank you in advance :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dkak
Hello. I'm going to be studying in UoM, Architectural degree, and I would just like to know the pros and cons of UoM and Manchester in general.

Thank you in advance :biggrin:

That's a pretty broad question!

What sort of thing are you in to? What's important to you in a uni? If you can tell me those things I can give you an answer that's tailored to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
That's a pretty broad question!

What sort of thing are you in to? What's important to you in a uni? If you can tell me those things I can give you an answer that's tailored to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm into sports (cardio and tennis to be exact), outings and looking for fun things to day most likely something different every time, technology, and art.

I think I would like a university that has a lot of facilities, professors who will be able to assist us, friendly atmosphere, close to the stores that are essential (ex. markets), and class schedules. And I'm wondering how the courses are in Architecture (ex. projects, homework, tests) and if I'll have to register for classes of my choice for each semester.

and also general knowledge of the structure of the university since I'm new to the British system.

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Dkak
I'm into sports (cardio and tennis to be exact), outings and looking for fun things to day most likely something different every time, technology, and art.

I think I would like a university that has a lot of facilities, professors who will be able to assist us, friendly atmosphere, close to the stores that are essential (ex. markets), and class schedules. And I'm wondering how the courses are in Architecture (ex. projects, homework, tests) and if I'll have to register for classes of my choice for each semester.

and also general knowledge of the structure of the university since I'm new to the British system.

Thank you :biggrin:

The university has got several subsidised gyms (Armitage Centre, Sugden Centre, Aquatics Centre), some of which also contain tennis courts. There's a tennis club, and the uni even puts on free cardio tennis fitness classes http://www.sport.manchester.ac.uk/sport/tennis/

Manchester is so big (and student centric) that if you get bored there you're doing it wrong. When I got to the end of my degree, I really didn't want to leave!

In terms of technology, the university has some really good facilities, ranging from 24/7 access to computers in the learning commons to staff who will fix your personal electronics for free (how good is that?!). If you like the history of technology, have a look at the Museum of Science and Industry (which is huge).

The university owns its own art gallery, The Whitworth, which has just reopened after a major refurbishment. It's looking fantastic now, and it's starting to be shortlisted for various prizes. If you like something a little less highbrow, you can find lots of street art in Manchester, particularly in the northern quarter.

You'll tend to find that in the UK academic staff are actually pretty approachable. They will all have office hours where you can pop in and see them every week, and I always found that they really want you to do well, and they're willing to help you.

I found Manchester to be pretty friendly - you'll find when you move in during fresher's that everyone just wants to make friends, because you're all in the same boat. You can also make friends through your course and any societies that you join - I know that architecture has quiet a good social life attached (not all courses do).

The university is on the southern edge of the city centre, and as it's a large city there are lots of shops, from the standard (e.g. Market Street, Arndale Centre) to the quirky and vintage (Northern Quarter) to the upmarket (King Street). There are markets in town depending on which day of the week it is, and there's a food market on campus most Tuesday lunchtimes in term time (next to Alan Turing building) where lots of local independent traders sell street food. The uni is also on the busiest bus route in Europe, which means that you'll never be stuck for transport between halls, uni and town.

Architecture is quite unusual in that it is a joint course with MMU. You'll spend most of your time on the MMU campus because they have some very nice art studios that only opened a couple of years ago. However, it's not something to worry about - the two campuses are right next door to each other. You live in UoM halls, so you tend to find that your friends will be a mixture of architecture students and UoM students. Being a student at both unis simultaneously does have some advantages - for instance, you get easy access to the facilities at both unis.

The course is quite art based (there's no need for a calculator, which may or may not be what you want!) and you'll spend a lot of time making portfolios and models. You also get the chance to work on some pretty cool projects e.g. in second year some of my friends got to design and build a pavilion at Dunham Massey, a local National Trust property
http://www.5plusarchitects.com/art-architecture/msa-2nd-year-pavilion-project-strata
http://worldlandscapearchitect.com/student-project-the-chime-pavilion-manchester-school-of-architecture-year-2-students/#.VT6K4zH6Eqw
http://nelarchitecture.tumblr.com/page/5
The work can be pretty time consuming, but there are no exams, just coursework. I'm not really sure how course unit registration works for architecture students, but there is usually some form of registration process for students, though it's nothing to be worried about!

Let me know if you have any more questions :h:
Hi,

I have been reading a few stats sites comparing my course (Spanish & Arabic) at UoM to the course at Leeds, which is the other Uni I'm mainly considering.

One thing that stuck out was a low figure for feedback quality/time taken to receive feedback on work. So I just wanted to hear from a UoM student (particularly a language student but I don't really mind) about whether this is true, and other things to consider in making my decision.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Hello,I'm looking to do architecture for my degree,

I've currently just finished my AS and i'm taking: English literature, Geography and Photography, for A2 I'm picking up AS Art too.
I live in London,
For my GCSES I got: 3 A's 2 B's and 5 C's2 of those A's are in Art and Textiles,

My university options are in order as to which I want to go to the most:
1) University of Manchester - MSA
2) Liverpool
3) Sheffield
4) Kent
5) Westminster

I think I'll be predicted: AAC/ABB/ABC

I really, really want to go to Manchester, it's felt like my soul city always, its sad because I don't know what to do, my portfolio I'm starting now and I have always been fascinated with architecture since a young age

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with applying and rejection and how it worked out when you didn't get your predicted grades

And whether there is a chance Manchester will accept me?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest