The Student Room Group

Mathematics Degree

How bright is the future for someone with a 1st class degree in Mathematics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
without personality, without work experience, very bleak

with personality, with work experience, and with a bit of luck, amazing, so long as the degree is not from a Mickey Mouse University.
(edited 7 years ago)
Which uni?
And if you've just graduated, if you have the work ethic and sociable personality then nearly any graduate job is within your reach
Reply 3
what would you class as a mickey mouse university?and i have no work experience

Original post by TeeEm
without personality, without work experience, very bleak

with personality, with work experience, and with a bit of luck, amazing, so long as the degree is not from a Mickey Mouse University.
Reply 4
why is personality so important?

Original post by Kyou
Which uni?
And if you've just graduated, if you have the work ethic and sociable personality then nearly any graduate job is within your reach
Reply 5
I do not wish to offend but most (and not all) Non Russell Group Universities are not great
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
i go to a russell group university but isn't their a standard of teaching that all universities must abide by? I'm sure if anyone got a 1st class in a STEM degree then where from isn't such a big concern?
Original post by TeeEm
I do not wish to offend but most (and not all) Non Russell Group Universities are not great
Reply 7
Standards sadly are not the same as Universities are nothing but businesses competing for students. Being Autonomous they often exploit loopholes in teaching but mainly not being entirely honest in the assessing of exams (Personal Opinion)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
is there any proof behind this or is this a theory? because at the end of the day it is still legitimate lecturers who assess the students.. right?

Original post by TeeEm
Standards sadly are not the same as Universities are nothing but businesses competing for students. Being Autonomous they often exploit loopholes in teaching but mainly not being entirely honest in the assessing of exams (Personal Opinion)
If you look at degree content alone you can see the differences between higher and lower classed universities. Some stuff I do in first year may not get touched until second or even third year at some universities.

I'm in third year and had an exam last week on a topic which is considered a masters module by a lot of universities.

Anyway, personality matters because companies are employing people rather than degrees. I personally am looking to graduate this summer with a 1st and have a job offer from an actuarial firm to start in September.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheIrrational
If you look at degree content alone you can see the differences between higher and lower classed universities. Some stuff I do in first year may not get touched until second or even third year at some universities.

I'm in third year and had an exam last week on a topic which is considered a masters module by a lot of universities.

Anyway, personality matters because companies are employing people rather than degrees. I personally am looking to graduate this summer with a 1st and have a job offer from an actuarial firm to start in September.

where can you see the degree content please? i'd like to investigate all of this. And that's awesome, i hope you graduate with a 1st :smile: i was also looking into acturial science. well because of the money really
Well, these are the first year modules at my university: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/

If you google " 'university name' maths undergraduate course content" so something similar, you will usually get the course content.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, these are the first year modules at my university: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/

If you google " 'university name' maths undergraduate course content" so something similar, you will usually get the course content.

warwick is a fantastic university, well they definitely have a good reputation. i have just looked through your universities modules and i i have actually also don all that content in my first year, so i think its wrong to assume that other universities that aren't top 5 or top 10 will not do the same thing. At the end of the day they have to prepare us for the real world of work. I really doubt they will teach "easy" stuff to mathematics students just because they don't attend universities like oxford or cambridge.
Reply 13
Given that you posted a thread a few days ago asking how to find the argument of a complex number, I somehow doubt you've done stuff like the Spectral Theorem in first year.
Original post by Noble.
Given that you posted a thread a few days ago asking how to find the argument of a complex number, I somehow doubt you've done stuff like the Spectral Theorem in first year.

i didn't ask how to find an argument of a complex number. i needed clarification. Also me asking a question on something i didn't grasp immediately doesn't mean i have done stuff like "spectral theorem" thankyou :smile:
The vast majority of universities will cover similar content, but some lower down ones do cover less. I'm not saying outside the top 10 is bad, or that lower down universities are bad, if people want to study maths then they should, it's a great subject.

I'm just saying there are different levels of content in different degrees. http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/mathematics-and-physics/bsc-hons-mathematics/#structure has no analysis until year two and group theory is completely optional and can't begin until 3rd year, for example.
Reply 16
Yes, but to point out the obvious you were asking clarification on something that's A-Level material. If my tutor is to be believed (who used to run the maths department of a Russell-Group university before coming to Oxford) there's a massive difference in mathematical education (and quality of students) across the spectrum of universities - to the point where he doubts more than a handful of the students at his old university would manage a 2:1 on Oxford's course.
The vast majority of universities will cover similar content, but some lower down ones do cover less. I'm not saying outside the top 10 is bad, or that lower down universities are bad, if people want to study maths then they should, it's a great subject.

I'm just saying there are different levels of content in different degrees. http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/mathematics-and-physics/bsc-hons-mathematics/#structure has no analysis until year two and group theory is completely optional and can't begin until 3rd year, for example.

oh woww.. i just looked at unistats aswell and 46% of their degree is coursework. and 48% graduate with a 1st class degree.. ok maybe you are right then
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but to point out the obvious you were asking clarification on something that's A-Level material. If my tutor is to be believed (who used to run the maths department of a Russell-Group university before coming to Oxford) there's a massive difference in mathematical education (and quality of students) across the spectrum of universities - to the point where he doubts more than a handful of the students at his old university would manage a 2:1 on Oxford's course.

i did a level maths so it is not a level maths. and have you ever considered that i just forgot? loool of course not. oxford students never forget things. :smile:
Original post by Noble.

maybe i should've gone to oxford. I think its not right that a 1st class degree is not equal at different universities

Quick Reply

Latest