The Student Room Group

Labour will outlaw "Islamophobia"

Prepare for more people being thrown in jail for voicing their opinions...

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/04/25/miliband-labour-would-outlaw-islamophobia/

Scroll to see replies

I am so glad I'm not muslim.

I would have hoped islamophobia was covered by current anti discrimination laws. But then I'm not a lawyer. So if it needs to be specifically outlawed then it should.
(edited 8 years ago)
Labour are just becoming the BNP of the left.
Are they going to define Islamaphobia first?
Original post by dyslexicvegie

I would have hoped islamophobia was covered by current anti racism laws. But then I'm not a lawyer. So if it needs to be specifically outlawed then it should.

Islamophobia is just a made up word used to slander those who criticise Islam

I would have hoped islamophobia was covered by current anti racism laws. But then I'm not a lawyer. So if it needs to be specifically outlawed then it should.

Maybe because islam/muslim isn't a race.
It is already illegal to discriminate against, or incite violence against Muslims under the 2010 equality act.
How do you ban an "irrational fear"? The Thought Police would love this one.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe because islam/muslim isn't a race.

oops sorry long day, should have put discrimination laws.

Having done a bit of research, religion and beleaf, along with race and sex etc are "protected characteristics" under the 2010 equalities act. So yes it is covered under the same legislation.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Islamophobia is just a made up word used to slander those who criticise Islam

Lucky - discrimination against muslims is already illegal

https://www.fpb.org/business-support/equality-act-2010-protected-characteristics-and-types-discrimination
Miliband's statement is mangled. It is not clear if he is saying that a new crime of Islamophobia will be created or if Islamophobia will be an aggravating factor in existing crimes such as assault. Obviously the former would be a very big change and essentially the end of freedom of speech on religious matters in this country; the latter would be a minor administrative change that only affects people who are already guilty of violent common law crimes. The Muslim News website seems to have run with the broad interpretation and Breitbart has followed, but it's probably more likely that Miliband plans to make a minor and inoffensive change.
Original post by thesabbath
How do you ban an "irrational fear"? The Thought Police would love this one.

Same principle as homophobia.

If you're a homophobe, ur not scared, ur an a** howl. - Morgan Freeman
Same principle as homophobia.

If you're a homophobe, ur not scared, ur an a** howl. - Morgan Freeman

That's just an obnoxious attempt to justify totalitarian political correctness (which suits you just fine, because you agree with it).

Looks like we'll have to update Winston Smith's observation:

Freedom is the freedom to say that Islam is a threat. If that is granted, all else follows.
Original post by DiddyDec
Are they going to define Islamaphobia first?

Exactly.........everyone's jumping on the bandwagon that it's do to with criticising Islam, etc

However, in reality as stated by them they want to prevent discrimination of Muslims which is currently on the rise and wish to pursue a more specific legislation on the issue like anti-Semitism.

It's quite clear that when they are saying "Islamophobia" they mean attacks/discrimination/abuse on Muslims because they are Muslim and not criticism of Islam.
That's just an obnoxious attempt to justify totalitarian political correctness (which suits you just fine, because you agree with it).

Looks like we'll have to update Winston Smith's observation:

Freedom is the freedom to say that Islam is a threat. If that is granted, all else follows.

The equalities act protects beleaf along with sexuality and race etc. There are equated under the law.

The Free speech right doesn't take priority over any other of our rights, like the right not to be discriminated against. (according to the laws of the uk)

I defend the right to offend.

So you can have islamophobic thoughts, present those views etc As long as it doesn't go as far as to incite religious hatred or amount to harassment.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that, though it is a poorly chosen word, islamophobia is an irrational hatred which benefits no one.
Original post by earthworm
It is already illegal to discriminate against, or incite violence against Muslims under the 2010 equality act.

It's illegal to incite violence full stop. Why certain groups need special protection against something which has always been illegal anyway has always been slightly beyond me.
The equalities act protects beleaf along with sexuality and race etc. There are equated under the law.

It is a fundamentally unequal law, passed five years ago by New Labour, which assigns certain classes of people "protected characteristics" based on identity politics causes currently fashionable with the left.

The Free speech right doesn't take priority over any other of our rights, like the right not to be discriminated against. (according to the laws of the uk)

I defend the right to offend.

So you can have islamophobic thoughts, present those views etc As long as it doesn't go as far as to incite religious hatred or amount to harassment.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that, though it is a poorly chosen word, islamophobia is an irrational hatred which benefits no one.

What is irrational about opposing an expansionist and totalitarian political system masquerading as a "religion of peace" which has spawned thousands of homegrown terrorists and fifth columnists?
Original post by Rinsed
It's illegal to incite violence full stop. Why certain groups need special protection against something which has always been illegal anyway has always been slightly beyond me.

It's about using the tools of the State to impose ideology. To "send a message". This is a comprehensive discussion of New Labour's introduction of "hate crime" (thought crime) legislation in the UK: http://www.uk.sagepub.com/cross/files/Chapter1-Article1.pdf
It is a fundamentally unequal law, passed five years ago by New Labour, which assigns certain classes of people "protected characteristics" based on identity politics causes currently fashionable with the left.

What is irrational about opposing an expansionist and totalitarian political system masquerading as a "religion of peace" which has spawned thousands of homegrown terrorists and fifth columnists?

How can any rational person be against the equalities act. It means that you can't get sacked because ur new boss doesn't like ur skin colour - would you like to live in a country wear that is legal?

There are violent and abhorrent aspects to all religions. But most people who follow these religions focus on the workable aspects of that religion.

There are as many interpretations of Islam as there are Muslims.

I walk past a mosque every day, I have no reason to fear these people.
Do you cross the street whenever you see a little old lady with a headscarf?

BTW the number of people identified as terrorists in this country (and some of them are Catholic Irish terrorists) is in the low hundreds.
As much as I hate Labour I see this as a clever idea. Outlawing Islamophobia would eliminate threats caused by the significant number of 'Islamists' as they wouldn't feel targeted hence no need to fight against hatred

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending