The Student Room Group

What would be the ONE policy would you vote for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
The system is corrupting in cutting people's benefits unfairly 1 million of people got a benefit sanction in just over a year, not thousands-the poor are being killed by the Tories the Tories think that these people don't seem to be worth much to them in their attempts to give money to the rich so what point is in giving them any money?The Tories just think of people by their economic value, they can't just take away benefits as there would be lots of riots but just make it them really really hard to claim.

I don't think we are the most 'vulnerable' I mentioned absolute poverty on this thread and my family are not in that-fortunately my mam has worked hard to keep her benefits, whilst her friends and people she knew got their JSA stolen from them.

Even if thousands of people are on benefits who shouldn't be its better that than not help the millions who need the systems support, scrounging is clearly in the minority and also helps those who want jobs to get jobs(scrounging is only a problem when there is a lack of workers to fill job places)-I would rather pay 10 scroungers if that meant that 1 person who really needed it got the money.

The majority of people are scrounging. As I've said before, you see the benefits system from the customers side whereas I see it from the inside.

Regarding your mother's friends and their JSA: did they actually look for a job, or did they just move over to another type of benefits?

Those who do not contribute to society are worthless and do not deserve government payouts. They deserve to live on the streets because they were too lazy to say to themselves "I have a disability but I am still determined to work." I know many people who suffer from severe depression, are wheelchair bound, amongst other disabilities: all of them work.
Original post by a320airbus97
The majority of people are scrounging. As I've said before, you see the benefits system from the customers side whereas I see it from the inside.

Regarding your mother's friends and their JSA: did they actually look for a job, or did they just move over to another type of benefits?

Those who do not contribute to society are worthless and do not deserve government payouts. They deserve to live on the streets because they were too lazy to say to themselves "I have a disability but I am still determined to work." I know many people who suffer from severe depression, are wheelchair bound, amongst other disabilities: all of them work.

They didn't get moved over to another type of benefit, I don't know why they got their money took off them but it was for some rule breaking, scrounging is quickly seen too by the local Job Centre from what I have heard-they do have Sanctions League Tables they are looking to pounce and take your money and recreate Africa in Britain.

Disabilities affect people differently and people who don't contribute through work aren't worthless a lot of them may well contribute in other ways raising children etc they are people they deserve humane treatment and if they have a severe disability they deserve compensation for it I think disabled people should be allowed to work but for a lot of people the extra strain is simply too much for them and a lot of people who attack the disabled would actually be the same as them if they had the disability.

The whole income distribution is ridiculous anyway with those at the top getting far more than they need through paying people too low wages and charging excessive prices, with high profit margins where as the poor aren't even entitled to a basic standard of living in a rich Western country? and why let them suffer a fate worse than prisoners, who have committed crimes and are guaranteed food and shelter?

You are missing a key point whether or not these people look for work the number of people applying for jobs is still above the number of jobs available, so it doesn't really harm the country and helps those who want to get work to get work-you can push them into work but you will just have to pay someone elses JSA then.
(edited 9 years ago)
changing the voting system to PR. without a doubt
Original post by jenkinsear
Restoration of Grammar Schools to every local authority so that bright poor kids would have some reasonable chance of social mobility like they used to years ago, as opposed to the current system where their potential is so often wasted in mediocre or dire comprehensives which are ill equipped to help them fulfill their potential.

Grammar schools only took in a low percentage of pupils so as to restrict access to education. The vast majority of pupils went to secondary modern schools and left school at 15 with no qualifications.

The system particularly discriminated against girls - many grammar schools were single sex but girls did much better than boys at 11+. Consequently many girls who had passed higher than boys in Grammar schools, went to Secondary Mods.

The whole idea of inbuilt 'intelligence' which you could test for, was based on falsified 'research'. The idea that you could pick out a small number of children at 10-11 was ludicrous. It blighted a whole generation.

It was only when parents campaigned for opening up education and Secondary Modern Schools went ahead with entering their pupils for the Grammar School exams viz O levels, that the system was abolished.

Comprehensive Schools, for all their problems, ( lack of money), have been a huge success and brought vast numbers of pupils through secondary schools into Higher Education.
Original post by democracyforum
rubbish

if you are intelligent, you will do well regardless

The "oh they'll all be fine" attitude of people like you are exactly why you have literally hundreds upon hundreds of schools that never turn out a single doctor, dentist, Oxbridge candidate, lawyer, accountant etc. Demographically and statistically I refuse to accept that they do not have a single child in their school every year who is not gifted enough to enter these professions, but they are failed so badly that even if they wished to do so they will find that by age 16 they have insufficient grades/subject combinations/guidance to have a hope in too many instances.

I went to primary in a very deprived area, and the paths of those around me are incredibly telling of how talented children get completely failed by some state schools. There were 4 kids in my class at primary school who were more intelligent/gifted than I was, who all went to a comprehensive because their parents weren't as concerned with education as mine were so didn't put them in for the 11+ in a neighbouring county. None of those 4 made it to university. Only 1 actually did Alevels. None of them have gone anywhere near achieving the potential they were displaying at age 10. I meanwhile ended up at Oxford. Not because I was better than them -I wasn't- but because my school could actually cater to my ability and cared about kids once they were above the grade C boundary needed for their precious league tables.

So please, continue advocating the wasting of countless young people's ability on the basis that "they'll will do well regardless".
The one policy that is making me vote is when labour said they would stop landlords charging you every 6 months to draw up a new contract. I like that. Landlords have too much power.

Sometimes the estate agents charge £120 just to photocopy a new 6 month contract and sign it. Disgraceful. Not only that they charge both the tenant and the landlord for the same service! ****ers.

When labour said they would keep to austerity that sealed the deal because I knew the economy wouldn't get recked if I voted for them.

And I'm glad they won't join with the SNP and they will keep trident so we can still claim to be a powerful nation on the world stage.

I think a labour-UKIP coalition would be interesting. Then we could vote on Europe too.

Even though Ed Milliband is a plonker.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pickup
Grammar schools only took in a low percentage of pupils so as to restrict access to education.

30% was generally the level in most areas, with some LEA's having even higher figures actually. That is not a low percentage.

Original post by pickup
The vast majority of pupils went to secondary modern schools and left school at 15 with no qualifications.

Another falsehood appealing to the old myth that attending a secondary modern was equivalent to being put on the scrap heap. Not that it actually matters, the exam and qualification system has changed so substantially that comparison is pretty meaningless now.

Original post by pickup
The system particularly discriminated against girls - many grammar schools were single sex but girls did much better than boys at 11+. Consequently many girls who had passed higher than boys in Grammar schools, went to Secondary Mods.

This isn't an argument against selection, simply an argument for a different allocation of places historically. I note that this has not been raised as a significant issue in any of the counties that still retain selection today, so if it was indeed an issue I don't see the relevance now. I attended a mixed school and girls probably made up 60% of the students- no girls lost out because of their gender, but the make up reflected the pass rate. In other LEA's there are mixed schools with male majorities because that reflects the demographics of those passing.

Original post by pickup
The whole idea of inbuilt 'intelligence' which you could test for, was based on falsified 'research'. The idea that you could pick out a small number of children at 10-11 was ludicrous. It blighted a whole generation.

A lazy generalised comment. You've said nothing other than a dramatic comment about a generation being "blighted". It's weird how genuine social mobility is seen as a blight by some nowadays. More working class kids got to Oxford in 1955 than they do today- 40 years of Comprehensive education and we still aren't even back to how we were. What a resounding success.

Regarding testing at 10-11, I personally support the approach of some LEA's in having a 12+ and 13+, as well as reserving a significant number of their 6th form places for applicants from non-selective schools. It's possible to reflect the fact that what may be right for a child at one moment may not be down the line.

Original post by pickup
It was only when parents campaigned for opening up education and Secondary Modern Schools went ahead with entering their pupils for the Grammar School exams viz O levels, that the system was abolished.

The system has not been abolished, it remains in a number of areas across England and Northern Ireland. You seem too focused on historic controversies that have absolutely no relevance or application today. Nobody is advocating a return to the O Level/CSE system; that is not necessary for a selective system. All the counties retaining grammar schools have secondary moderns that enter kids for exactly the same exams.

Original post by pickup
Comprehensive Schools, for all their problems, ( lack of money), have been a huge success and brought vast numbers of pupils through secondary schools into Higher Education.

Lack of money? They receive massively more funding per pupil than selective schools, yet consistently perform far worse in getting gifted children into the most competitive universities and professions. That is not a success.

You have fallen into the New Labour trap of "oh kids have gone to a university.... they are therefore successful and our education system works". Wrong. The reality is the majority of people going to university today are going to ex-polytechnics to study pointless degrees which will not actually aid their life prospects in any way, mostly at the expense of the taxpayer. If you look at the top universities you find a remarkable picture where the number of working class kids securing places has declined since the abolition of selection in many areas, to the point where Oxbridge is actually less representative than it was in the 1950's. All the comprehensive system has done is save private schools from extinction and give those with money the opportunity to buy their way into the best schools be it private schools or through buying expensive housing in desirable areas.

Forgive me if I don't see the continued failing of ordinary bright children in favour of those with money as a success to be proud of. You might think them going to a polytechnic is a success, I have more aspiration for them personally.
Original post by a320airbus97
Major reform of the Welfare State: benefits for 6 months, then you must go into education/apprenticeship/work schemes or you get no benefits.

I'd go as far as saying that nobody under 21 should receive any benefits at all unless they're ill/in care/disabled, and they really need a time limit. My friends boyfriend is claiming and all he does is drink/take drugs or doss about, hasn't worked a day in his life and just scrounges off her. It's not my place to say anything but people with that attitude don't deserve a penny.

However id agree with the comments that FPTP needs to go. It's outdated.
30% was generally the level in most areas, with some LEA's having even higher figures actually. That is not a low percentage.

Another falsehood appealing to the old myth that attending a secondary modern was equivalent to being put on the scrap heap. Not that it actually matters, the exam and qualification system has changed so substantially that comparison is pretty meaningless now.

This isn't an argument against selection, simply an argument for a different allocation of places historically. I note that this has not been raised as a significant issue in any of the counties that still retain selection today, so if it was indeed an issue I don't see the relevance now. I attended a mixed school and girls probably made up 60% of the students- no girls lost out because of their gender, but the make up reflected the pass rate. In other LEA's there are mixed schools with male majorities because that reflects the demographics of those passing.

A lazy generalised comment. You've said nothing other than a dramatic comment about a generation being "blighted". It's weird how genuine social mobility is seen as a blight by some nowadays. More working class kids got to Oxford in 1955 than they do today- 40 years of Comprehensive education and we still aren't even back to how we were. What a resounding success.

Regarding testing at 10-11, I personally support the approach of some LEA's in having a 12+ and 13+, as well as reserving a significant number of their 6th form places for applicants from non-selective schools. It's possible to reflect the fact that what may be right for a child at one moment may not be down the line.

The system has not been abolished, it remains in a number of areas across England and Northern Ireland. You seem too focused on historic controversies that have absolutely no relevance or application today. Nobody is advocating a return to the O Level/CSE system; that is not necessary for a selective system. All the counties retaining grammar schools have secondary moderns that enter kids for exactly the same exams.

Lack of money? They receive massively more funding per pupil than selective schools, yet consistently perform far worse in getting gifted children into the most competitive universities and professions. That is not a success.

You have fallen into the New Labour trap of "oh kids have gone to a university.... they are therefore successful and our education system works". Wrong. The reality is the majority of people going to university today are going to ex-polytechnics to study pointless degrees which will not actually aid their life prospects in any way, mostly at the expense of the taxpayer. If you look at the top universities you find a remarkable picture where the number of working class kids securing places has declined since the abolition of selection in many areas, to the point where Oxbridge is actually less representative than it was in the 1950's. All the comprehensive system has done is save private schools from extinction and give those with money the opportunity to buy their way into the best schools be it private schools or through buying expensive housing in desirable areas.

Forgive me if I don't see the continued failing of ordinary bright children in favour of those with money as a success to be proud of. You might think them going to a polytechnic is a success, I have more aspiration for them personally.

It is not more aspiration to arbitrarily restrict access to quality education.

Even by your figures, 70% of pupils went to Secondary Modern Schools. In some areas as little as 12% went to Grammar Schools and of those a sizeable number left at 16 (mainly working class children).

Having a competitive exam at 10-11 leads to a warping of education. Streaming from as early as 7, large amounts of money being spent on private tuition to cram for the exam,. restriction of the curriculum to exam areas, discrimination against children born later on in then academic year, restriction of highly qualified teachers to Grammar Schools etc.

So, between 70-80% of the population had left school by 16 compared with approaching 50% going to post 18 education now. I repeat, this is a huge success.
Restoration of Grammar Schools to every local authority so that bright poor kids would have some reasonable chance of social mobility like they used to years ago, as opposed to the current system where their potential is so often wasted in mediocre or dire comprehensives which are ill equipped to help them fulfill their potential.

I'd agree with this, but I think that the entry tests need to be changed. It's far too easy for parents to pay up to £5000 for tutors to teach their children how to pass the 11 Plus exam. I'd opt for essays and maths exams, alongside interviews and more importance placed on references.
Original post by Europhile
The abolition of the welfare state.

God I hope you don't ever lose your job or become disabled and can't work or can't work for any other reason.
Reform of the education system.
Original post by soanonymous
God I hope you don't ever lose your job or become disabled and can't work or can't work for any other reason.

I am disabled according to the government and I work my arse off to earn. I have never claimed a penny whereas more able people than myself are perfectly fine at taking the pee and claiming as they're just lazy scumbags.
I am disabled according to the government and I work my arse off to earn. I have never claimed a penny whereas more able people than myself are perfectly fine at taking the pee and claiming as they're just lazy scumbags.

Fine, I said 'disabled and can't work'. You obviously can and that's great. But just because you work (as do most other people in the country) doesn't mean that welfare should be abolished. There are people who actually need it and rely on it, through no fault of their own. Yes it needs to be reformed and tightened, but not abolished completely.
the death penalty
Original post by soanonymous
Fine, I said 'disabled and can't work'. You obviously can and that's great. But just because you work (as do most other people in the country) doesn't mean that welfare should be abolished. There are people who actually need it and rely on it, through no fault of their own. Yes it needs to be reformed and tightened, but not abolished completely.

*******s. The UK is full of lazy white chavs who are nothing but a drain on the economy. These pillocks then cry when immigrants take jobs they're too ****ing lazy to do. Why aren't they out in fields picking fruit? I tell you why. Its because they think such jobs are beneath them and they're workshy boneidle leeches. A job is a job. Anyone who works regardless of what its doing or where to it is should take pride in that. I'm sorry but many Brits are generally just lazy as **** and a lot of these white chavs have illnesses that only exist in their lazy uneducated minds. You know why they're uneducated? Cause they had the same lazy attitude in school.
*******s. The UK is full of lazy white chavs who are nothing but a drain on the economy. These pillocks then cry when immigrants take jobs they're too ****ing lazy to do. Why aren't they out in fields picking fruit? I tell you why. Its because they think such jobs are beneath them and they're workshy boneidle leeches. A job is a job. Anyone who works regardless of what its doing or where to it is should take pride in that. I'm sorry but many Brits are generally just lazy as **** and a lot of these white chavs have illnesses that only exist in their lazy uneducated minds. You know why they're uneducated? Cause they had the same lazy attitude in school.

Wow calm down :laugh:

Yes there are people like that, but contrary to popular belief, there are MORE people who are using the welfare system because they have no choice and they have to. You don't know each individuals different circumstances so you can't say they're all lazy and uneducated. Like I said, it's not a perfect system and it needs to be reformed and tightened, but it's there to do good and to help the people that need it the most, which 90% of the time, it does. But that doesn't mean that it needs to be completely abolished. I'd hate for them to abolish it and then for YOU to become disabled to a point where you can't work or be laid off from your job and unable to find other work, wouldn't you need help getting through that period whilst you're looking for another job? Or are you happy to live off nothing, lose your house, not be able to afford to buy food until you get another job? Nope, I didn't think so.
Any anti-Islamic party would get my vote.
Original post by pickup
It is not more aspiration to arbitrarily restrict access to quality education.

Who has advocated doing this? It is simply a lazy assertion to try and say that a selective system automatically serves to restrict access to quality education. Do you have the same objection to the fact that in many instances the comprehensive system restricts access to quality education to those with parents able to buy their way into a good catchment area?

Original post by pickup
Even by your figures, 70% of pupils went to Secondary Modern Schools. In some areas as little as 12% went to Grammar Schools and of those a sizeable number left at 16 (mainly working class children).

None of this is an argument against selection. Similarly given the vast majority of the population were working class at the time, why are you surprised that the majority of those without qualifications were working class? You need to adapt your thinking to today, not 1950.

Original post by pickup
Having a competitive exam at 10-11 leads to a warping of education. Streaming from as early as 7, large amounts of money being spent on private tuition to cram for the exam,.

The reason this problem exists is that there are a real shortage of grammar school places. In areas with grammar schools you find parents from surrounding counties desperately trying to get their kids into those grammar schools, meaning that you get situations where you can get upwards of 10 applicants per place. The fact is grammar schools are what a lot of parents want, and the failure to provide enough of them (or any at all in much of the country) is why many have to resort to spending money on tuition.

I would also add that test design can play a large role in combating this. See the redesigned test in Buckinghamshire for instance.

Again, you have not actually made an argument against selection, just highlighted how test design needs to be considered.

Original post by pickup

restriction of the curriculum to exam areas

This comment shows you do not understand the 11+ exams used in most areas. They test general skills that the child should have acquired; they are not factual recall which the schools can then spend their time building their lessons around. The curriculum followed by a school will not be impacted by the 11+ at all.

Original post by pickup
discrimination against children born later on in then academic year

Again, you show you do not understand how the system works. Most (if not all) local authorities apply a formula which adjusts the marks of students born later in the academic year to reflect the shorter time they will have spent in formal education.

Original post by pickup
restriction of highly qualified teachers to Grammar Schools etc.

I would love some evidence for this. The reality is some teachers excel at teaching at different levels or in different environments. A teacher that may be excellent with a mixed ability class with a lot of students struggling with basic maths would not necessarily be good with a group of academically excelling students. I have seen no evidence at all that in areas retaining grammar schools that the quality of teachers in other schools is somehow impacted. The existence of things like Teach First makes your claim even more suspect.

Original post by pickup
So, between 70-80% of the population had left school by 16 compared with approaching 50% going to post 18 education now. I repeat, this is a huge success.

Again, a narrow world view. Do you really see a load of kids going to study media studies at poly university as a sign of progress? Why the obsession that university = success? Are all the kids who go to do an apprenticeship or set up a business instead all failures? I find it truly bizarre how anyone can equate herding people into a large number of essentially pointless degrees to a success.
Original post by Jasaron
I'd agree with this, but I think that the entry tests need to be changed. It's far too easy for parents to pay up to £5000 for tutors to teach their children how to pass the 11 Plus exam. I'd opt for essays and maths exams, alongside interviews and more importance placed on references.

Fair comments with which I agree. Some progress is being made on this in certain counties, with several currently conducting reviews with exactly what you suggest in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending