The Student Room Group

I have very little knowledge on things for my age and it's making me feel crap

I'm female in my late twenties and haven't been that social nor been to places or done things like others seem to have. I have good knowledge on specific things like healthcare but my knowledge of the world is bad (in quizzes I'm like on par with 13 year olds). The thing is I don't know what I don't know and so only realise that I don't know something until people are like 'omg did you not know that'. I'm dating an older man and he is always pointing it out to the point where it's annoying. He said 'for a person of 30 ( I'm not even 30 yet but never mind)I'm surprised you have very low knowledge compared to most people'. If he mentions a TV programme, event in history etc I just nod as though I know I don't ask as I don't want to show myself up incase it's something I should know. There's things on the topic of health that he doesn't know (like he didn't know cold sores could cause genital herpes) that I thought he would for his age but I don't say anything that's why I get annoyed when people put me down for it. It makes me feel like doing what they do and saying 'wow did you not know that' but I don't want to be vindictive like this lol.

Im im also often told that I seem young for my age and that some things I say are like what a 14 year old would come out with. I'm very quiet so don't talk much anyway probably a good thing lol but yea it just makes me lose more confidence. Is this something I can improve on or hide better?
...read?
There are loads of documentaries on youtube. Watch them. You don't need detailed knowledge just general information.
Reply 3
Original post by + polarity -
...read?

Im only interested in the same things as when I was a teenager too which doesn't help like I'm into the same music still, still read fiction adventure books etc. I suppose I could read more real life stuff. I've done a lot of courses in my life and although I forget things very easily I've developed a lot of academic knowledge/skills but not the everyday stuff that most people talk about.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm female in my late twenties and haven't been that social nor been to places or done things like others seem to have. I have good knowledge on specific things like healthcare but my knowledge of the world is bad (in quizzes I'm like on par with 13 year olds). The thing is I don't know what I don't know and so only realise that I don't know something until people are like 'omg did you not know that'. I'm dating an older man and he is always pointing it out to the point where it's annoying. He said 'for a person of 30 ( I'm not even 30 yet but never mind)I'm surprised you have very low knowledge compared to most people'. If he mentions a TV programme, event in history etc I just nod as though I know I don't ask as I don't want to show myself up incase it's something I should know. There's things on the topic of health that he doesn't know (like he didn't know cold sores could cause genital herpes) that I thought he would for his age but I don't say anything that's why I get annoyed when people put me down for it. It makes me feel like doing what they do and saying 'wow did you not know that' but I don't want to be vindictive like this lol.

Im im also often told that I seem young for my age and that some things I say are like what a 14 year old would come out with. I'm very quiet so don't talk much anyway probably a good thing lol but yea it just makes me lose more confidence. Is this something I can improve on or hide better?

You sound a lot like me tbh. Just talk to people whom you share similar interests with, that way you won't feel like crap. It's not a contest to see how much you know. You can explore the world, but only if you want to. If you are doing it for someone else, don't. Avoid people who make you feel like crap. The person you describe sounds like a **** and if I were told those things, I would probably cut off contact with him
If you really want to expand your knowledge, I always find TED talks on youtube a really interesting and a good way to know new things. Or Education channels like VSauce etc. But don't just do it to impress someone that you don't really have much in common with anyway.
Don't feel bad, I'm sure you know more than you think. Besides, general knowledge isn't that important, it's usually just things which are fun to know. And things like major events in history can easily be looked up on the internet.

In future you can just nod along and take note for future reference (something which many people do I'd say).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending