The Student Room Group

Will Labour also drop international tuition fees?

hello!
I have a query, Labour leader announced that he will drop fees down to £6000 from £9000, if he wins the elections. Does this mean that international fees will also be reduced?
Please help.
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saif3110
hello!
I have a query, Labour leader announced that he will drop fees down to £6000 from £9000, if he wins the elections. Does this mean that international fees will also be reduced?
Please help.
Thank you!

No.

In worse news for you it might mean that international fees get put up, to help make good the shortfall, this in so far as it may have a bearing either way.
Reply 2
Thank you.
so, labour's tuition fees policy has nothing to do for international students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cambio wechsel
No.

In worse news for you it might mean that international fees get put up, to help make good the shortfall, this in so far as it may have a bearing either way.

Do they have the right to raise the international fees? Doesn't sound reasonable and it is already expensive as it is now. Are there no other way to compensate that 3K reduction, besides increasing them for overseas students? I have heard of 'graduate tax', is it likely to be imposed? If they do increase the fees, then UK market will become less attractive and the int'l students number will keep on falling. They will still suffer a loss (although not as much) anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You got a point here because as things stand right now, many people choose other destinations because of the costs and international students contribute substancially to the economy. Raising fees further would lead to a further reduction in the number of international students as they have other cheaper options. I think they will finance that through tax.
But a drop in fees for internationals too would be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since there's no news about how the policy will affect us, I hope that they will hold on to the current rate of tuition fees. But, I would totally welcome their decision to lower the international fees also, oh yes please. That would slightly ease my financial burden, I am paying 40K+ pound in total for tuition fees :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
what about EU citizens?
Reply 7
EU citizens are entitled to the same prices as UK citizens (which is what leads to the ridiculous system of EU's students getting free tuition in Scotland, whereas the English/Welsh have to pay £9000), so fees for EU students would be £6000. All this actually does in practice is increase the subsidy/grant uni's get from the government per UK/EU student by £3000, so it should have no effect on non-EU prices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending