The Student Room Group

ACCA, CIMA or ACA

Hi there,

I'm nearing the end of my AAT studies and have been given the option of studying ACCA, CIMA or ACA, I'm currently working in the public sector in management accounting, and have been given until tomorrow to decide which qualification I want to pursue.

The obvious qualification appears to be CIMA however I have been told there are more opportunities within finance such as working within IB with ACA, however ACCA provides a degree in accounting which I can use as a prerequisite for a masters.

My question is which would you take and why?

Thanks
ACA/ACCA over CIMA as they're more highly regarded. Any job you can get with a CIMA you can also get with an ACA/ACCA but there are those where an ACA/ACCA is accepted but CIMA less so.

Why do you want to do a masters? If you've got an accounting qualification then a masters isn't really going to add much, if anything. It will however be a major investment of time and money.
Wouldn't agree with above that acca is better regarded than cima but I would recommend aca if you are not sure what you want to do as it gives a wider frame of knowledge which will give you more opportunities in the long term.

Masters is a total waste of time and money if you already have a professional qualification, it will add nothing to your cv.
Reply 3
In regards to the masters, I left school with only GCSE's... Would you still be under the impression that a masters would be of no real value?
Reply 4
Original post by x360720x
In regards to the masters, I left school with only GCSE's... Would you still be under the impression that a masters would be of no real value?

You seem to be excluding the professional qualification from your potential education summary. An ACA/ACCA/CIMA is regarded by many to be a better (and certainly more useful) qualification than the majority of master degrees. So once you have that professional qualification, it seems a backwards step to start looking for a masters unless you specifically need it for your career objectives. If you intend to be an accountant, you most certainly don't need it.
Reply 5
As someone looking into accountancy to start of my career could some one please tell me what CIMA, ACCA etc are and what the difference is as I am struggling to find out myself. Thank you.
Original post by War-Mac
As someone looking into accountancy to start of my career could some one please tell me what CIMA, ACCA etc are and what the difference is as I am struggling to find out myself. Thank you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aca+vs+acca+vs+cima&oq=aca+vs+acca+vs+cima&aqs=chrome..69i57.2725j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.grovelands.co.uk/aca-vs-cima-vs-acca/
http://www.cityam.com/209240/aca-acca-or-cima-how-choose
Original post by x360720x
Hi there,

I'm nearing the end of my AAT studies and have been given the option of studying ACCA, CIMA or ACA, I'm currently working in the public sector in management accounting, and have been given until tomorrow to decide which qualification I want to pursue.

The obvious qualification appears to be CIMA however I have been told there are more opportunities within finance such as working within IB with ACA, however ACCA provides a degree in accounting which I can use as a prerequisite for a masters.

My question is which would you take and why?

Thanks

Hi! I work for ICAEW and we provide the ACA qualification.
With the ACA qualification you are able to work in any aspect of business so it does allow you to keep your options open if you want to change your role in the future.
Once you become fully qualified there really is no reason for you to do a masters, employers would be satisfied with your qualification.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by War-Mac

Hi there, I work for ICAEW and we provide the ACA qualification.
CIMA is the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and their members and students tend to work mostly in business.
We train people in business, practice, financial services and not for profit so you can choose which you prefer and can change sector in the future.
We also have standardised exams that we write ourselves so everyone is trained to the same level. You should have a look at our careers website icaew.com/careers if you need more information.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by ICAEW Advisor Jacqueline
Hi! I work for ICAEW and we provide the ACA qualification.
With the ACA qualification you are able to work in any aspect of business so it does allow you to keep your options open if you want to change your role in the future.
Once you become fully qualified there really is no reason for you to do a masters, employers would be satisfied with your qualification.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi Jacqueline!

I'm just about to finish AAT level 2 and I'm really interested in moving on to ACA once I'm fully qualified with AAT. I realise it's still at least 2 years until I can even entertain the idea of applying for ACA, but is there anything you could advise that I do now to better prepare myself for it? I notice there is a requirement of 450 days experience that accompanies the qualification, do you need to complete that before you're even accepted on to the course?

Reply 11
Original post by ICAEW Advisor Jacqueline
Hi there, I work for ICAEW and we provide the ACA qualification.
CIMA is the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and their members and students tend to work mostly in business.
We train people in business, practice, financial services and not for profit so you can choose which you prefer and can change sector in the future.
We also have standardised exams that we write ourselves so everyone is trained to the same level. You should have a look at our careers website icaew.com/careers if you need more information.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:

HI.
Thank you for the reply.
I had a quick look at the website and what I have read so far seems very helpful so thank you.
Original post by Seanthesheep94
Hi Jacqueline!

I'm just about to finish AAT level 2 and I'm really interested in moving on to ACA once I'm fully qualified with AAT. I realise it's still at least 2 years until I can even entertain the idea of applying for ACA, but is there anything you could advise that I do now to better prepare myself for it? I notice there is a requirement of 450 days experience that accompanies the qualification, do you need to complete that before you're even accepted on to the course?

Hi Sean! Are you doing the AAT with an employer or are you doing it yourself in college? The ACA is done with an employer so you get the work experience at the same time as doing your qualification. The employer pays you a salary and tends to pay for your training and exams too. I would just start looking at different employers and familiarise yourself with the different routes to the career. For example, EY puts people through AAT level 3 and 4 then moves them onto the ACA, all done while you are working for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending