The Student Room Group

Unit 1 Ionic equation help!

Hey, so I'm retaking unit 1 and am struggling on ionic equations, in particular this question from the January 2013 paper:

When aqueous solution of barium chloride and potassium sulfate are mixed a white precipitate forms. The ionic equation for this reaction is:
A. K+(aq) + Cl-(aq) ----->KCL(s)
B. K2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) ----->KCL2(s)
C. Ba+(aq) + SO4-(aq) ----->BaSO4(s)
D. Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ----->BaSO4(s)

The answer is D, but I really dont get why. How do you know that BaSO4 forms and not KCL? Are you meant to know that this is a white precipitate? If someone could please explain how you get to D this would be very helpful!
Thankyou (:
the test for the presence of sulphates is to add bacl2, and if a white ppt forms then it means that barium sulphate has formed. so yeah you need to know that baso4 is the white ppt that comes about due to the reaction between barium chloride and sulphate ions.
Original post by goonieskellie
Hey, so I'm retaking unit 1 and am struggling on ionic equations, in particular this question from the January 2013 paper:

When aqueous solution of barium chloride and potassium sulfate are mixed a white precipitate forms. The ionic equation for this reaction is:
A. K+(aq) + Cl-(aq) ----->KCL(s)
B. K2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) ----->KCL2(s)
C. Ba+(aq) + SO4-(aq) ----->BaSO4(s)
D. Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ----->BaSO4(s)

The answer is D, but I really dont get why. How do you know that BaSO4 forms and not KCL? Are you meant to know that this is a white precipitate? If someone could please explain how you get to D this would be very helpful!
Thankyou (:

Kcl is soluble in water so although it is formed they are spectator ions as both K+ and Cl- ions are present on both sides

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest