The Student Room Group

Start lifting at 16 or leave it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRenaissanceMan
No.

You don't want to lose your Height Gains.

Focus on body weight exercises --- Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Dips, Band Stretches, Lunges, Flexibility. Use age 15-19 to build up a rock solid core and flexibility and solid cardio.

You'll be surprised at how much doing cardio age 16 will put you ahead of 90% of people by age 20.

Blast yourself age 18-25 with heavy heavy compounds.

"TheRenaissanceMan"? more like "JustBeforeTheRenaissanceMan".
I have never read such bro-science in my entire life.
Original post by Gozem
I've been gym before, and I know all the basics etc, but I quit for a bit for my exams, but now I'm wondering should I start lifting or wait till I'm 18, I want to reach my maximum potential height to be fair, but then again i do wanna get strong and do need to drop my bodyfat by a lot. What do you guys think?

how about you finish puberty, and leave the "lifting" to the grown ups you are a child, go and watch cartoon network.
Start now; wish I'd started earlier

As for the point on lifting for sport - best guys I played with all started lifting 15-16. Beat the hell out of the opposition with the battering ram that was our 6,7,8. All guys at semi pro and above lift for good reason. Squats, deadlifts, OHP, some prowler stuff etc would add awesomeness. I can't think of a scenario where strength is a weakness.

Original post by studentLynch
how about you finish puberty, and leave the "lifting" to the grown ups you are a child, go and watch cartoon network.

I think you're the one needing cartoon network with that attitude
Lift heavy weights now at the same time as eating under your calorie maintenance so that you put on muscle and lose fat. Sure you will not put on muscle as fast as if you were eating more but you'll still be able too.

Quick Reply

Latest