The Student Room Group

What should I get as my first car?

I'm really confused as to what to get as my first car, my budget is up to £2500/3000 but most people are saying I should spend no more than £1500.

I've found these cars so far:

Toyota Yaris
Peugot 207
Ford Focus
Mini Cooper
Renault Megane
Volkswagen Polo
Volkswagen Golf

Literally loads up here because I just started looking, insurance is pretty much the same for all of them but just wanted to know which one is best and why

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Considered a Rolls Royce Phantom?
Reply 2
get the VW or the toyota,most reliable,best on fuel economy and will retain most value come resale time.
None listed
Original post by quentinhamilton
None listed

What do you suggest then?
Original post by madeinchelsea20
What do you suggest then?

An Audi A3 or something. Wouldn't cost you much either
Original post by quentinhamilton
An Audi A3 or something. Wouldn't cost you much either

A3 is my favourite haha but too expensive
A3 is my favourite haha but too expensive

Then renault clio or vauxhall corsa
I'm really confused as to what to get as my first car, my budget is up to £2500/3000 but most people are saying I should spend no more than £1500.

Toyota Yaris
Peugot 207
Ford Focus
Mini Cooper
Renault Megane
Volkswagen Polo
Volkswagen Golf

Literally loads up here because I just started looking, insurance is pretty much the same for all of them but just wanted to know which one is best and why

Cheers

Toyota Corolla above all of those if you're looking at older versions.
Reply 9
A couple of my friends have a Polo and love it- easy to drive, looks good, small, economical etc.

I was looking to get a VW Golf for my first car, but I got an Audi TT as a present and it is fantastic. I thought insurance would be a killer but was only around £200 more than the Golf.
Original post by The Assassin
Toyota Corolla above all of those if you're looking at older versions.

When you say old how old do you mean lol
None listed, for that price range all of those vehicles will have high mileage and will be old.

Except for the toyota yaris but why would you want that? It's a **** car
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
None listed, for that price range all of those vehicles will have high mileage and will be old.

Except for the toyota yaris but why would you want that? It's a **** car

Yeah true, what do you suggest? I'm looking at Mazda RX8 1.3 right now looks really good but im guessing not economical
When you say old how old do you mean lol

Well when you say Golf I assume you mean mk4, same with Polo (before the facelift), first gen ford focus. The corolla from around that time (9th gen, believe 2000-2006).

^^It's a first car. Most people will get cars around this age and it's obviously going to have high mileage. That doesn't mean they're bad to drive..
(edited 8 years ago)
Well when you say Golf I assume you mean mk4, same with Polo (before the facelift), first gen ford focus. The corolla from around that time (9th gen, believe 2000-2006).

^^It's a first car. Most people will get cars around this age and it's obviously going to have high mileage. That doesn't mean they're bad to drive.

I see what you mean especially with the Polo I only like it after the facelift - this is harder than I expected I want a car that looks good and isn't slow but also reliable ...
Yeah true, what do you suggest? I'm looking at Mazda RX8 1.3 right now looks really good but im guessing not economical

A Mazda RX8? The sports car? Not sure if srs

^^It's a first car. Most people will get cars around this age and it's obviously going to have high mileage.

Hard to find a golf in that gen with under 90k miles in that budget. Obviously the miles are high and the car will be fairly old but I'm talking about over 70k/80k miles which isn't too ideal even for a first car

Lol I actually was serious its only £1150 for 2006 model, 59k miles but mpg is low so its a no ..

Hard to find a golf in that gen with under 90k miles in that budget. Obviously the miles are high and the car will be fairly old but I'm talking about over 70k/80k miles which isn't too ideal even for a first car

Well if it's been regularly serviced and serviced recently it should do fine for a first car. Lower mileage isn't always better especially with the case because people don't drive it as much, they get it serviced less often. OP just has to make sure he reads every bit of detail correctly (esp. if he's buying from a private seller, which he likely will be if the car is that old and basic).

At a budget of 2500-3000 I've seen a few. and I wouldn't recommend the golf of that gen anyways -- plenty of cars for him to choose from!

OP, regarding budget, just think about how much you're going to use the car and what do you value the most out of it. How long you're thinking of having it, if you need to spend on more essentials
etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Toyota Yaris
Peugot 207
Ford Focus
Mini Cooper
Renault Megane
Volkswagen Polo
Volkswagen Golf

Cheers

I got a Mini as my first car, although mine cost more than your budget. I spent a bit more and don't regret it at all. They're so much fun to drive and I haven't had any problems with her at all despite being an '05 plate. They're quite sturdy too so are apparently come out okay in accidents, thankfully I haven't got experience in that area! Good fuel consumption too.

But do your research and good luck! You'll love your first car whichever one you get :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not a fiesta? Cracking first car, get more for your money than german/Japanese and still pretty reliable.

Quick Reply

Latest