The Student Room Group

Why are Oxbridge offers so low?

Relatively speaking of course, most Oxbridge offers are A*AA or lower, no different to any other top 10 unis- why is this? Academically speaking they're no harder to get into than any other elite Uni, it's just interviews that separate them
If you're impressive enough to get an offer they don't want to risk losing you. Its pretty simple tbh.
**** off.

My Cambridge offer is a clear five points (I do IB) higher than any other top university gives.
Reply 3
A post I made about a month ago on the topic:

Original post by Noble.
Essentially, the primary reason this is the case with arts subjects is because the difference between an A and A* in something like English Lit or History is significantly more subjective than with science/maths subjects, and not necessarily an indicator of someone who is better or with more potential.

You also have to remember that Oxford does research the statistical significance of certain factors in determining success at the undergraduate level. The entry requirements remaining at AAA would logically seem to indicate that there isn't a statistically significant difference in the success of undergraduates in these subjects on the basis of A/A* at A-Level.

As to why Oxford would keep them at AAA when competition is 7 applicants per place, and universities with less competition have higher requirements - simply put, Oxford has more information on each applicant from admissions tests and/or interviews and so can afford to discriminate based on other factors that they may, or may not, have found to be (statistically) significantly better predictors.
Reply 4
Original post by ILovePancakes
**** off.

My Cambridge offer is a clear five points (I do IB) higher than any other top university gives.

Ok. No need to cry, it's pretty clear to see that the standard offer for most courses from Oxbridge is A*aa, similar to other top 10 Unis..
Reply 5
Original post by Noble.
A post I made about a month ago on the topic:

Good explanation, thanks
Original post by Egg1
Relatively speaking of course, most Oxbridge offers are A*AA or lower, no different to any other top 10 unis- why is this? Academically speaking they're no harder to get into than any other elite Uni, it's just interviews that separate them

The interviews are not just a small thing on the side, they're what makes it more difficult. There isn't space to make the grade requirements higher than the other top universities, as everyone's asking for the top grades now.
Oxbridge places a very important emphasis on the admissions tests, and A level grades are a mere introductory requirement to be invited to sit the entrance exams. Plus the interview is also an important hurdle. You can get A*A*A*A* and still get rejected by Oxbridge easily.
I think they usually want the A* in the subject most relevant to your degree course, and then they'll have an extra admissions test or interview which tests your suitability for that degree course even further.

If someone were applying for English at Oxford for example, and they were studying English, Maths and History at A-Level, it may seem a bit excessive to give them an offer of A*A*A*. If they rejected them for getting less than an A* in Maths, they could well be losing out on a candidate who is an absolute prodigy when it comes to English. It's not as though the lack of A* in Maths is going to make them a worse English student, because they're totally different subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending