The Student Room Group

Poetry Essay structure

Ok just wondered if anyone wanted to share some tips on structuring poetry essays. I am working on an essay on Elizabeth Bishop in which i intend to look at 3 of her poems. Can anyone recommend how this essay should be delivered. Should i look at each poem in turn with brief references to thematic links between them? or should i look at them in terms of theme? I am leaning towards the former suggestion as there aren't that many shared themes/ideas in the poems i am looking at. However, i have heard that some lecturers frown at this method of addressing essays.
Please don't tell me to ask my lecturer; she's good at poetry but not good with the whole 'teacher' thing, and i suspect she might be slightly derranged.
Thanks
I personally find if I'm struggling, the best way to approach it is to base a para on each poem, looking at the technical points and the things more based on close reading of each poem, then after I've looked at all the poems, having a couple of paras explaining in what way they are similar/different and the thematic links between them.
But there isn't a right or wrong way, you tend to find you will develop your own favourite method for structuring essays.

Latest

Trending

Trending