The Student Room Group

How many A*'s do you need to get into Cambridge or Oxford?

I am currently in Year 9 (GCSE learning stage) and I want to know how many A*'s I need to get into universities like Cambridge or Oxford?

Please Reply

Scroll to see replies

The average Oxbridge student has 8 but I don't know...
You're in year 9 and you made your account 3 years ago. You made a TSR account in year 6....
Reply 3
None, just pay them some money.
Reply 4
Original post by BioStudentx
You're in year 9 and you made your account 3 years ago. You made a TSR account in year 6....

I made it in Year 7, and please reply to my request instead of talking about what Year I was when I made this.

Thank you.
The average medical student at oxford has 8 A* however i know of people who go to Oxbridge with only 2 A* at GCSE, so it really depends on what course you're thinking of applying to and of course you need excellent grades at A - Level for example at A Level you will need at least A* A A hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I made it in Year 7, and please reply to my request instead of talking about what Year I was when I made this.

Thank you.

There is no set requirement. Oxford tend to put more emphasis on GCSEs because Cambridge actually look at your UMS % for AS level. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. I'd try to aim for around 10. After all, you have 2 years so there isn't really any excuses and you want to put yourself in the best position possible. Of course, my brother only got 4 A*s and still got in so there is no set amount. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be successful.
Cambridge require the national minimum but they put great emphasis on A level results. If you want to avoid the new system due to bad GCSE grades, you'll have to take a Gap year after A levels in order to have a much bigger chance at Cambridge or Oxford.
There are none and it accounts for your school. If you got 1 or 2 at Westminster it would raise eyebrows, at St Average's Comp for Medicre Education it'd probably be fine.

I imagine most Oxbridge students have a majority of GCSEs at A* but it's not a key issue.
Reply 9
Year 9 lol
Lol why are you advertising this thread on a football thread?
Original post by al_94
Year 9 lol

Is this helpful in anyway?
Is being in Year 9 really funny.
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Lol why are you advertising this thread on a football thread?

Now you are here, you might want to respond to my post as that would be helpful.
Now you are here, you might want to respond to my post as that would be helpful.

Oxford care more about GCSE's. Cambridge care more about UMS mark's at AS.

All in all you will still need Solid GCSE's anyway. But your in year 9 try focusing at present on what you need to do on getting A*'s.
About 100 should suffice :wink:
I am currently in Year 9 (GCSE learning stage) and I want to know how many A*'s I need to get into universities like Cambridge or Oxford?

Please Reply

Neither has a strict cutoff, but obviously good performance helps your chances of getting in.

Aim to get as many A* grades as possible.

Please Reply

Obviously A*s are good things to aim for anyway. Just do the best you can. I didn't try that hard at GCSE and only got 2. :frown: That said, I did get a lot of As (and absolutely nothing C grade or below) so it wasn't too much of a disaster...

Contrary to what many people will have you believe, it's not just about exam results. Obviously Oxbridge has very high academic standards which you will need to meet - they look for the academically gifted, the self-motivated individuals who are willing to work hard. But they also look for candidates who are passionate about the subject they want to study. Developing an interest in languages, world history or whatever is relevant to your chosen course, as well as doing plenty of things that demonstrate your interest, will really make you stand out in your personal statement and in the interview.

Don't forget that many highly capable people apply to Oxbridge each year, and not everyone gets in. Furthermore, you may find the workload and pressure that's going to be piled on you in the next few years will put you off Oxbridge (because the competition there will be very high and only the best students will be there) I'm in Year 12 and starting to re-think whether I really want to go there, even if I get good A Level results.

All in all, it's good to set your sights high, and it's certainly not impossible to get into Oxbridge. However, being at Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all. There are plenty of other very good and highly respected universities - especially those in the Russell Group like Durham and Warwick.

Please Reply

well it depends on what course you're thinking of taking. :smile:

Please Reply

Hey i'm in year 9 too i was thinking the same situation as you , please inbox me privately as i need to ask questions about year 9.:smile:

thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending