The Student Room Group

what is your near death experience?

mine was when i nearly got hit by a car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:smile:
Reply 2
A very large amount of masonry almost fell directly on top of my head when I was 10. I was sitting on my sofa reading a magazine and I noticed that brick dust was falling on the pages. I ignored it the first time, but after the second time I decided to more over to the chairs on the other side of the room. About one second (not exaggerating) after I stood up, the ceiling directly above me fell onto the sofa, and judging from the size of the rubble it would most likely have killed me.

But, here I am still!
Reply 3
Original post by VannR
A very large amount of masonry almost fell directly on top of my head when I was 10. I was sitting on my sofa reading a magazine and I noticed that brick dust was falling on the pages. I ignored it the first time, but after the second time I decided to more over to the chairs on the other side of the room. About one second (not exaggerating) after I stood up, the ceiling directly above me fell onto the sofa, and judging from the size of the rubble it would most likely have killed me.

But, here I am still!

wow, your lucky your still alive.
I remember it like it was yesterday, but when I was 6 my appendix burst and I thought I had died. I felt like I was having an out of body experience and looking down at myself in the bed. I of course wasn't actually looking down at myself,I likely just imagined it. But **** was it painful.
When they stuck me on Fluoxetine I had a manic episode and thought I was invulnerable to electricity so
o started revving myself up to take a leap onto the subway platform

Other times: abandoned on Mount Snowdon when I was 12, various near misses of cars. Nothing major tbh
Original post by VannR

But, here I am still!

Highfive
I walked past a cemetery once, if that counts as near death.
Reply 8
Narrowly avoided an avalanche while skiing once.

Was being driven along a country lane at night and a deer ran out in front of the car. Barely millimetres away from totalling the car.
Reply 9
Original post by Laomedeia
I walked past a cemetery once, if that counts as near death.

lool:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

Other times: abandoned on Mount Snowdon when I was 12, various near misses of cars. Nothing major tbh

Snowdon is not exactly the worst place to get abandoned. It's not like it doesn't have a café or a direct train to civilisation or hundreds of other people on it :tongue:
Original post by Manitude
Snowdon is not exactly the worst place to get abandoned. It's not like it doesn't have a café or a direct train to civilisation or hundreds of other people on it :tongue:

True but this was in a blizzard when the cafe was closed and the train was offline :redface:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
True but this was in a blizzard when the cafe was closed and the train was offline :redface:

OK, well that is more severe but if you were anywhere near the main superhighway/summit/train track then it's very difficult to get lost. Some of the minor routes are not as clear to follow but they're still a lot clearer than most mountains in the area which are not as popular.
I almost got hit by a bus on my way home from school.
Had a couple, but the most recent was in hospital in October 2014. I had surgery and was on an orthopaedic ward for a week recovering. I was really nauseous and they tried many things to stop it as I wasn't able to get up or eat. They ended up giving me Cyclozine (anti-nausea drug) through my IV. I felt it going in and my body instantly started to go very relaxed. I remember saying to the nurse that it felt lovely and was making me go numb...she looked at me really concerned and said 'it shouldn't have that effect'. Quickly my body was becoming paralysed, I couldn't move at all, but I could think fine, so I really started to panic as the nurse ran for a doctor. So there I was, laying there, tachycardic and in those situations your life really flashes before your eyes. I asked the nurse if I was going to die and she said the classic 'What makes you think that?' Which is supposed to deflect the question, but it really makes you panic more. Turns out I had an allergic reaction to the drug!
Original post by Manitude
OK, well that is more severe but if you were anywhere near the main superhighway/summit/train track then it's very difficult to get lost. Some of the minor routes are not as clear to follow but they're still a lot clearer than most mountains in the area which are not as popular.

Also true, I basically just wandered in circles while getting frostbite until my dad found me :tongue: dw I'm alive. Just sharing a fun childhood story (again I was 12/3)
1). My earliest one was when I was about 6, my family and I went to Malta and we went to the roof pool. Everyone got swimming arm bands, expect for me as my aunty decided to give it to one of her sons (he didn't need one). So, being me when I was 6, decided to walk to the other side of the pool (the deep end). I sat down and put my feet in there. I fell in and almost drowned. I was down there for at least 20-30 secs before the man next to me realised I was drowning. I remember him pulling me out and I was coughing and crying and omg it was the worst. I am now a very strong swimmer, even though it makes me woozy looking at/being by the sea (even though it happened by the pool).

2). Another pool incident. Was in a villa in Portugal with family and we were running around and I happened to slip on a wet leaf (I was like 9). And again, I fell into the pool and almost drowned. Yes, pools did seem to want to take my life as a child!

3). When I was I think younger than the 1st story, when my mum was driving me to nursery, as she pulled a corner, I opened the door (I was in the front) and as I did, my mum crashed into a wired/mesh fenced and I slipped underneath the seat belt and rolled under a bus. They had to stop traffic and get the fire brigade and everything. I don't remember it because I was very young. But I've had panic attacks before when I was in small, tight, enclosed spaces and I can't help but think the reason why I have cleithrophobia is because of this near death experience.

I pray to high Heaven that I shan't have anymore. I haven't to be fair. I do always lock the door I'm sitting on in cars though!
I was in Thailand on Boxing Day 2004. Had to evacuate the hotel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
I remember it like it was yesterday, but when I was 6 my appendix burst and I thought I had died. I felt like I was having an out of body experience and looking down at myself in the bed. I of course wasn't actually looking down at myself,I likely just imagined it. But **** was it painful.

Hahaaa, ROFL! I am so sorry about your burst appendix, but aside from that, I thought your story was classically hilarious!!! Literally, in stitches (no pun intended)!!!!
Reply 19
1. when i was a little kid (~6 or 7, i think) i fell face-first into a pond and instead of struggling or trying to swim i just... lay there face-down. luckily my parents noticed i was missing and my dad dragged me out a few minutes later. he said he could just see the back of my white dress near the surface of the water and he almost **** himself haha.

2. i was mixing a concoction of.. stuff in a chemistry lab. i leaned over to look inside it (stupid, i know) and then a few seconds later it exploded (high enough to singe the ceiling). my hand pretty much got melted (i was stirring it) but i dread to think what would've happened if it'd exploded when my face was over it. maybe not death but severe disfigurement...

3. gallstone attacks. not near-death but ****ing hell does it feel like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending