The Student Room Group

Missing Periods?

I've had an issue with menstruating recently (I had one in November and February, but skipped the other months) and have booked an appointment with the GP to have a look at why it might be happening as usually I'm fairly regular, only missing a couple my entire life. The thing is, I get the feeling that my weight is going to be brought up (I'm 5'9 and a size 18- not weighed myself in ages so not sure what I would be there) despite the fact that I've been this size for a few years and so I don't think it's that that would be causing any issues.

I'm not sexually active, and though I'm stressed, I've been through this before and never been so irregular, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what might be causing it or if there are any factors that I'd definitely need to bring up when at my appointment

(I'd like to point out now that even though I know a lot of people on here are looking to help, and most are mature, I would really appreciate it if I didn't get a 'lose some weight then?' comments, I'm going to the gym and my diet isn't terrible, it's just the way things are)
Original post by Anonymous
I've had an issue with menstruating recently (I had one in November and February, but skipped the other months) and have booked an appointment with the GP to have a look at why it might be happening as usually I'm fairly regular, only missing a couple my entire life. The thing is, I get the feeling that my weight is going to be brought up (I'm 5'9 and a size 18- not weighed myself in ages so not sure what I would be there) despite the fact that I've been this size for a few years and so I don't think it's that that would be causing any issues.

I'm not sexually active, and though I'm stressed, I've been through this before and never been so irregular, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what might be causing it or if there are any factors that I'd definitely need to bring up when at my appointment

(I'd like to point out now that even though I know a lot of people on here are looking to help, and most are mature, I would really appreciate it if I didn't get a 'lose some weight then?' comments, I'm going to the gym and my diet isn't terrible, it's just the way things are)

it would be easier to say if we knew your age :smile:x
You're seeing a GP for a reason. You don't need to bring up "any factors" - are you sure you know how a GP appointment works? A GP will ask you the appropriate questions and you answer truthfully. I'm finding it difficult to understand why you felt the need to make a thread?
Reply 3
Original post by bad_username
it would be easier to say if we knew your age :smile:x

Sorry, I'm 20 :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BioStudentx
You're seeing a GP for a reason. You don't need to bring up "any factors" - are you sure you know how a GP appointment works? A GP will ask you the appropriate questions and you answer truthfully. I'm finding it difficult to understand why you felt the need to make a thread?

Sorry if it seems a bit pointless, I'm mainly just worried because I've heard of people having issues with GPs where they concentrate on something like weight when it's not the cause of the problem- yes, might sound like paranoid bull but I'd like to know if anyone has been in a similar position or heard about something like this and knows what sort of things need to be brought up if they're not asked about. Again, sorry if it might seem pointless but I'm usually worried about appointments in general
Sorry if it seems a bit pointless, I'm mainly just worried because I've heard of people having issues with GPs where they concentrate on something like weight when it's not the cause of the problem- yes, might sound like paranoid bull but I'd like to know if anyone has been in a similar position or heard about something like this and knows what sort of things need to be brought up if they're not asked about. Again, sorry if it might seem pointless but I'm usually worried about appointments in general

I'm sure your GP will know what to look for and you'll be fine. And maybe it's a good idea to lose weight (I know you didn't want us to say this) but you'd be all round healthier (physically and mentally).
Reply 6
Have you looked under the couch?

I know you say you've been that size for a few years, and so you don't think that is what is causing the problem. But problems can take a while to develop. Not saying your weight has caused it, but it's a possibility and it is one your doctor will likely consider among other things. So please don't just automatically shrug him/her off if they mention your weight. They're not doing it to victimise you, they're doing it because generally being significantly overweight or obese can have a negative affect on most parts of your health.

Your doctor though should of course also look at other things that could be causing the fluctuations in your period. If you feel they're not looking at all the options and only looking at your weight then you can get a second opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)

If you're stressed this could be the problem. Stress causes missed periods.

Do you have any symptoms like acne, excess hair growth (on face, stomach, chin ect.) or period like pain without the period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Do you have any symptoms like acne, excess hair growth (on face, stomach, chin ect.) or period like pain without the period?

I was just about to ask her this lol, you're one step ahead
Could be stress, a hormonal imbalance, anything really.
Reply 12
There are a number of causes that contribute to missed periods, I'm a year older than you and have this problem myself... as the previous posters have said, if you have any of the symptoms they've listed, i.e. excess hair growth, fatigue, excess heavy pain that isn't actually on the period.. then it could be one polycystic ovary syndrome.. though then again, stress can stop periods for weeks. Either way, I think a trip to the GP is in order, as only a trained medical professional could answer you for definite :smile: I'd write down a basic outline of how you've been feeling and how it has been affecting you :smile: am including some links for you to look at if you want...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibroids/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Endometriosis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

hope you get some answers soon :smile:
Being overweight can cause irregular periods due to your hormones being unbalanced from excess fat. That is probably a factor causing this, the symptoms of being overweight take a while to show.. Months or years.

Just see a GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest