The Student Room Group

My parents earn too much but I'm not gonna get any help?

Basically my parents earn enough so that:
"You could get per year:

£9,000 Tuition Fee Loan

£3,731 Maintenance Loan (for living costs)"

My parents have said that they don't want to give me any handouts and they're not planning to put any money towards a car or anything like food and stuff.

The thing is, I'm worried about supporting myself and living away from hones and stuff, I'm not sure, does anyone have any advice or is this enough to survive and will I have time to get a job and stuff?
Why are your parents refusing to offer you help?
It'll be a good learning experience
Original post by Ninjapancakemix
"You could get per year:

£9,000 Tuition Fee Loan

My parents have said that they don't want to give me any handouts and they're not planning to put any money towards a car or anything like food and stuff.

The thing is, I'm worried about supporting myself and living away from hones and stuff, I'm not sure, does anyone have any advice or is this enough to survive and will I have time to get a job and stuff?

If you're living at home that'll be enough, as long as you heavily budget.

Planning to move away? You're going to have a tough couple of years ahead, but it is achievable. If you can manage to find work for least 10 hours+ a week.
Original post by Ninjapancakemix
"You could get per year:

£9,000 Tuition Fee Loan

sucks that your parents won't support you. what course will you be doing?
Take a year out to work and save up money
Original post by adriana95
sucks that your parents won't support you. what course will you be doing?

dese nuts. HA GOOTIE!
Dats a bit harsh. The how point of the Gov giving out less loan money to those who have better off Parents is because there is an expectation that ur parents will help out - because they can afford it. You could try having that convo with them?

As for practical advice: working your ass off is probably the only viable option, from the minute u finish ur last exam.
I'm sorry OP, I can't be of good use to you because I fail to understand how some parents refuse to help out their child, it just seems so incredibly odd to me :confused: but that's just me. I will say this though, with living away comes independence so I advice you get a weekend/part-time job before September or work in the summer holiday to earn a little. Ask if your universities offer funding like scholarships or bursaries. Good luck!
I advice getting your own personal trap house. From there start making your own money
I have 2 other siblings and they said its not a viable option, I would like to take Psychology in uni and I had a few thoughts about alternative things I can do...

What if:

I moved for out a month in a crappy appartment before I apply for loans and apply with the household income which is significantly less?

I move into my girlfriends mums house who gets a decent ammount of loans and work from there?

Lived in the back of a van (I know its stupid)

Explain the situation to the Uni/Finance people and see if they can help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending