The Student Room Group

How should I approach learning a new language?

I want to start learning Italian. What is the best way to go about this autodidactically? Recommendations for books, programmes, methods etc. would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
I want to start learning Italian. What is the best way to go about this autodidactically? Recommendations for books, programmes, methods etc. would be appreciated.

Out of all the languages you learn Italian.
Should learn Chinese or Korean, its more challenging.
Reply 2
Duolingo is really good.
Reply 3
Original post by Zenarthra
Out of all the languages you learn Italian.
Should learn Chinese or Korean, its more challenging.

I've not decided to learn a language simply to challenge myself and I've not chosen one based on how challenging it is to learn. I want to learn Italian because of an interest in Italian opera and because I hope to live there for a year on a study abroad programme. It's also a beautiful language...certainly more so than those hideous flying daggers.
Last week I came across a Wikipedia page about German grammar when I was reading about cases and I squealed with delight! There is also one for Italian grammar, but it's probably not as useful as it could be in its current form. Perhaps it might come in handy for reference as you learn more vocab and experiment with sentence structures later on?
Duolingo is great. Definitely worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Listen to songs in the language you're trying to learn.

The catchier, the better.

Then, look up the lyrics and see their translations. Helped massively with French. :smile:
Original post by Gott
http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/1444177311

It's what I do with Swedish :wink:

How are you finding learning Swedish? It's the language I'm considering learning myself.
I'll aid you via Skype if you like. Do you know any other Latinate languages? They're to a degree mutually intelligible. Either way, message me on here and ask for my Skype if you'd appreciate some didactism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Assimil series seems to give the best results and has been voted 'the best' on howtolearnanylanguage.com (especially the European language series).
Live there for a while :wink: Best way to learn a language.
I've not decided to learn a language simply to challenge myself and I've not chosen one based on how challenging it is to learn. I want to learn Italian because of an interest in Italian opera and because I hope to live there for a year on a study abroad programme. It's also a beautiful language...certainly more so than those hideous flying daggers.

Opera is definitely a wonderful reason to learn Italian, you might just of inspired me to do so over the summer in time for next years season!!
Reply 12
Original post by darkred
Duolingo is really good.

Seconded! Really helped me with German.
easy peasy, marry an italian

Doing some sort of work placement/ exchange abroad. It's terrifying but being thrown right into the culture at the deep end is definitely the best way to learn and understand a language. Maybe with a basic baseline knowledge before hand though. You get lots of families abroad who want their kids to have an English opair and learn English, which does mean you'd have to talk English for them but you'd still be surrounded by Italian all the time (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best way to learn a language is immersion, but since you're probably not able to piss off to Italy for a year that's not useful.

Next best thing is learning it as if you're a child again, buy books aimed at very young Italian children who are learning to read and work your way up. I definitely don't recommend learning it the way in which languages are taught in this country at school...we fail miserably at that.
Original post by SophieSmall
Best way to learn a language is immersion, but since you're probably not able to piss off to Italy for a year that's not useful.

Next best thing is learning it as if you're a child again, buy books aimed at very young Italian children who are learning to read and work your way up. I definitely don't recommend learning it the way in which languages are taught in this country at school...we fail miserably at that.

That's really interesting. Have you tried the baby books approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
That's really interesting. Have you tried the baby books approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not myself, but my sister. She's learning so many languages. Over the past 7 years she has been learning: French, Brazilian Portuguese, mandarin, Italian, German, Arabic, Icelandic and Swahili.

She's best at mandarin and Icelandic though.
Not myself, but my sister. She's learning so many languages. Over the past 7 years she has been learning: French, Brazilian Portuguese, mandarin, Italian, German, Arabic, Icelandic and Swahili.

She's best at mandarin and Icelandic though.

Ok, cool. I'll give that a go for Spanish - interesting idea! :smile:

I totally agree

Quick Reply

Latest