The Student Room Group

Sick of being me

I'm a 19 years old female, in my second year at university.

I constantly feel inadequate.

I struggle to keep up academically, dislike many aspects of my appearance, never had a proper relationship, am not particularly talented at anything, and struggle in social situations.

I know a few people who just have fantastic personalities and social skills; they're hilarious, extremely likable, are able make great conversation with anyone, and everyone just loves being around them. I'm much more quiet, find it difficult to maintain interesting conversation, feel awkward easily, and find it very difficult a lot of the time to articulate myself.

I've been struggling with my social awkwardness pretty much my entire life. I feel like it's only going to hold me back more and more as I get older. I don't know how to change though. I know I need to improve my self-esteem and confidence, but I have no idea how.

Would really appreciate any advice.
Reply 1
I can really relate to you! I feel like you don't love yourself as you are and that affects your confidence in every aspect of your life. Please wake up every morning after reading this and smile at the reflection in the mirror and simply tell yourself thst you're wonderful as you are. It helps so much. PM me anytime!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ummm
I'm a 19 years old female, in my second year at university.

I constantly feel inadequate.

I struggle to keep up academically, dislike many aspects of my appearance, never had a proper relationship, am not particularly talented at anything, and struggle in social situations.

I know a few people who just have fantastic personalities and social skills; they're hilarious, extremely likable, are able make great conversation with anyone, and everyone just loves being around them. I'm much more quiet, find it difficult to maintain interesting conversation, feel awkward easily, and find it very difficult a lot of the time to articulate myself.

I've been struggling with my social awkwardness pretty much my entire life. I feel like it's only going to hold me back more and more as I get older. I don't know how to change though. I know I need to improve my self-esteem and confidence, but I have no idea how.

Would really appreciate any advice.

You're never going to get anywhere constantly comparing yourself to other people. Learn to love yourself, you don't sound unlikable in the slightest. Many perfectly fine people are insecure and it's a mystery why they are to many people around them. I know some socially awkward people but it doesn't make them less likable, my best friend's pretty socially awkward.

You struggle in Uni? And? Education doesn't make you. Some people are suited to different things. I'm in my first year of college so I'm not familiar with the difficulty of Uni but I don't think that it's the easiest of things.

You dislike your appearance? Just because you don't appreciate your beauty doesn't mean somebody else won't.

You've never had a proper relationship? If you were in a relationship one day and single the next does it change your value as a person? No? Let's move on then.

You're not talented at anything? I doubt that you've tried out everything, there's a large array of activities people can be talented at.

You struggle in social situations? That's something you could brush up on but it's not as much as a hamper as you would think. Besides, sometimes it's adorable.
I can relate (historically, although I'm kind of over it now).

PM me if you want.
Reply 4
Keep going, give yourself things to look forward to, don't compare yourself to other, try and become at one with (and content with) yourself. Try some new hobbies, go to new places, meet new people. You'll soon feel good about yourself, it's the little things in life that make me smile tbh :smile:.

I've improved social interaction by funnily enough - interacting with more people! Get yourself a bar job or something, you won't look back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I can relate to you a lot. For the first 2 years of university I barely talked to anyone in my class. In 3rd year we were put into groups for a big group project and over time I began to feel more comfortable talking to the people in my group I was spending time with. This then led to talking to more people in the class and made me forget about being lonely and hating being away from home. 4th year also involved a group project and the same thing happened with my confidence improving over time

I'm still not 100% but I don't think about being socially awkward and like an outcast as much now and don't let it get me down. My advice would be to try and talk to people more in your class. It may just start asking them about coursework and then once you know them better you might find you have similar interests to talk about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending