The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Your right there. My brother and sister, who are both at melb uni, say that 80% of the people in there tutes and lectures are asian, and in Medicine it is more like 90%. It is crazy.
Reply 41
wow. then u must be aimin to go there as well. im azn btw. so ill fit rite in.
i'm planning to get into pharm and i think i have a 95% chance of getting into it...good score, goodish umat, so hopefully it'll all be good.
Reply 43
elvito
caitlin....due to some unseen circumstances...i am aimin to go to melborne now as well.....tryin to get one of those 10 grand a year scholarships.....

according to my friend in auz, she says melborne uni is full of azn study freaks that are too hardout to compete with?

I try not to be put off by worrying about whether other people are smarter than me - in IB it doesn't make a difference anyway. :smile: Melbourne Uni automatically offers a scholarship to anyone who gets 99.95; that's why I want 45. I figure it doesn't matter how many smart Asians get in - if I get 45 then there's no way they can take my scholarship. :P lol

Realistically of course, I realise that my chances of getting 45 are about this big >< but I have confidence in myself. :smile: I just have to try my best, I guess.

Good luck to you too, hopefully we'll both be heading to Melbourne in the near future. :wink:
Reply 44
yea hopefully. is the 99.95 ENTER? sry im soo noob at this admission stuf.
Reply 45
Yeah, 99.95 is the highest ENTER score you can get. Sorry, I didn't know how similar the education system in NZ was to the Australian one. :redface:

Basically every student in Victoria (or Australia? I'm actually not sure) gets an ENTER score based on their results in YRs 11 and 12 and the universities choose their students based on those scores. An IB score of 45 is equivalent to an ENTER of 99.95. Thus the scholarship. :smile: Sorry for not being clear about that.
Reply 46
wat scholarship are u talkign bout...the melborne national one?

and where did u find this out?..can u link me...cz i cant find anything thats says that on this page

o wait i found it

In 2006, 15 National Scholarships were awarded to Victorian VCE and International Baccalaureate students who achieved an ENTER score of 99.95 and 22 scholarships were awarded to interstate students.

coooool....so they dont look at other stuff? just ur ib score of 45? wat if more than 40 ppl gt 45....
Reply 47
As far as I know, the universities make their decision wholly on the basis of your ENTER score. Oh, and you have to have done certain subjects and gotten good marks in them to get into some courses. For example you can't do Medicine without first having done Biology or something. But if you get a high enough ENTER score you can pretty much do whatever you want.

As far as the scholarship goes, it's highly unlikely that more than 40 people would get 45, considering only 5 achieved a perfect score in Victoria this year. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but my mum is a teacher and she told me that Melbourne University gives a scholarship to anyone who gets 99.95. Apparently it's their way of getting all the good students. :rolleyes:
Reply 48
thats a relief hearing it from you. i dont want to go thru all the interviews and application essays and stuff. so melborne is my fallback uni. :biggrin:
Reply 49
i am not quite sure on my plans. i know i want to go to college for computer science, but i'm not 100% sure where yet. i'd love to go somewhere in the U.K. if i can get in (i've been looking at sussex), but if I can't, I plan on going to MIT (massachusetts institute of technology). after that... well, i'm going to do something with that degree in computer science. possibly open a computer shop, or become a programmer.
you're falling back on MIT if you can't get into Sussex? lol. I would think MIT would be harder to get into, wouldn't it? Or maybe not, if you have really good SATs and essays. My friend got rejected by MIT but accepted to Harvard but I think that's more because she did an interview for Harvard. All the universities she did interviews for, she got offers to, and all the ones she didn't get interviewed for, she got rejected from.
Reply 51
Caitlin
Yeah, 99.95 is the highest ENTER score you can get. Sorry, I didn't know how similar the education system in NZ was to the Australian one. :redface:

Basically every student in Victoria (or Australia? I'm actually not sure) gets an ENTER score based on their results in YRs 11 and 12 and the universities choose their students based on those scores. An IB score of 45 is equivalent to an ENTER of 99.95. Thus the scholarship. :smile: Sorry for not being clear about that.

Not everyone gets a scholarship at Melbourne uni if you get 99.95. My sisters friend got 99.95 and didn't get a scholarship at Melbourne uni. Then there are some who get 99.85 and get a scholarship at Melbourne Uni. So I don't think it is quite as simple as everyone who recieved 99.95 gets a scholarship.
Reply 52
Are you sure bandev? why would they choose someone of a lower score?
isnt it on the basis that all the 99.95 get scholarships, then they consider the rest of the applicants?
Reply 53
I am pretty sure. The reasons could be the extra curricular activity they take part in or the subjects they did. But I know definitely that not every 99.95 ENTER gets a scholarship.
HMSChocolate
university. BCommerce 3 years...after that...we'll see. probably work, then Masters

College to study political science, then on to law school.
Either that or take a gap year and become a beggar in Nepal. We'll see.
Reply 55
Medicine. Hopefully.

If not, either psychology or biology/biomed or anything related. I might do such a course and try graduate entry in medicine though you never know.
Reply 56
wow you've been busy reviving old threads:p: wow this brings back memories when we had time to think about this stuff instead of worrying about exam haha..

I just saw my post in this thread:p: I was just telling my friend that that was my plan the other day:s: this is the first time I stick to a plan like that:p:
take a gap year- either working or going to drama school. then eng lit in uni. work? then maybe go for a master in shakespeare or something like that. or not, since i am not a very academic kind of person.
Reply 58
sounds like a great plan:biggrin: I'm thinking of a masters in lit, though I think I'd rather focus on a more contemporary writer like Paulo Coelho or Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I love the Latin American writer:p: )
Reply 59
~Lc~
wow you've been busy reviving old threads:p: wow this brings back memories when we had time to think about this stuff instead of worrying about exam haha..

I just saw my post in this thread:p: I was just telling my friend that that was my plan the other day:s: this is the first time I stick to a plan like that:p:

Haha :tongue: Well, newbies here should also have the chance to join in the fun.

Although I can explain it all with one simple word: Procrastination.:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending