The Student Room Group

Best course for S&T

In your opinion, what is the best course (undergraduate) for a career in S&T?
Reply 1
For trading specifically, one of maths/physics/engineering. There are some desks (the heavily quant/technical desks) that pretty much won't bother looking at your application unless you've done something as quantitative as one of the three.
Reply 2
Cambridge Maths Tripos or bust OP
Econ at a target
Original post by Toda

Sociology with English Literature. Don't bother taking quantitative modules, I hear trading is looking to diversify away from Maths/Engineering/Physics graduates now.
Original post by gr8wizard10
Econ at a target

How about if you had the choice between Finance - or- investment & risk management? Or, as you said, economics?
Original post by Noble.
For trading specifically, one of maths/physics/engineering. There are some desks (the heavily quant/technical desks) that pretty much won't bother looking at your application unless you've done something as quantitative as one of the three.

Computer Science? It's more quantitative then Engineering and arguably more relevant/useful too.
Original post by Toda

MORSE at Warwick, look it up.
Original post by Toda
How about if you had the choice between Finance - or- investment & risk management? Or, as you said, economics?

University is more relevant than degree course. Finance is probably more useful than econ in any case.

I believe only Cass offer the Investment course, albeit econ at the target universities place more in FO than semi-targets.
Original post by Toda

i'll study my own degree investment & financial risk management, as it's most relevant to me, don't think I could ever study pure econ, find it far too boring. Even within my degree I find it pretty useless.
i'll study my own degree investment & financial risk management, as it's most relevant to me, don't think I could ever study pure econ, find it far too boring. Even within my degree I find it pretty useless.

straight econ at a target all day every day. #MC=MR #TheGoldmanSachs #KeynesIsMyGuy
Original post by Liquid Gold.
straight econ at a target all day every day. #MC=MR #TheGoldmanSachs #KeynesIsMyGuy

Fredrick Hayek & Milton Friendman <3

#FreeMarket #NoToGovernmentIntervention
So, after some research,
With a view to go into Trading would LSE Econ or LSE Finance be better, or is it just down to preference?
Original post by Toda
So, after some research,
With a view to go into Trading would LSE Econ or LSE Finance be better, or is it just down to preference?

preference, both'll be fine in terms of uni clout.

didn't know lse had a course in finance. although if i were to go to lse i would've done econ because london scool of economics
preference, both'll be fine in terms of uni clout.

didn't know lse had a course in finance. although if i were to go to lse i would've done econ because london scool of economics

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Liquid Gold.
MORSE at Warwick, look it up.

Nah brah.

MMORSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending