The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education courses?

Hi
I'm studying my A levels and with exams very quickly approaching I'm realising more and more how much I do not enjoy sixth form and how much pressure I am putting on myself to do well at something I don't like. I've been looking at HE courses but the colleges don't really explain exactly what they are and what they lead to. I have my GCSE's (A*-B grades) which are fairly good, but then my AS levels are going quite terribly. I don't want to start all over again next year at all and that's why I was thinking about taking a different route. If I pass my AS in biology and psychology then I will probably stay on at sixth form to finish the final year; however if I don't, then I think it would be safer if I left. I am a volunteer at a hospital and I also help out at a nursery. I really enjoy helping people and making a difference which is why I'm aiming towards midwifery, nursing or something in this area.
I'm just not sure whether a HE course in Health and Social care is worth considering (I am currently doing a BTEC in Health and Social which I enjoy).
Thank - you so much !
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi
I'm studying my A levels and with exams very quickly approaching I'm realising more and more how much I do not enjoy sixth form and how much pressure I am putting on myself to do well at something I don't like. I've been looking at HE courses but the colleges don't really explain exactly what they are and what they lead to. I have my GCSE's (A*-B grades) which are fairly good, but then my AS levels are going quite terribly. I don't want to start all over again next year at all and that's why I was thinking about taking a different route. If I pass my AS in biology and psychology then I will probably stay on at sixth form to finish the final year; however if I don't, then I think it would be safer if I left. I am a volunteer at a hospital and I also help out at a nursery. I really enjoy helping people and making a difference which is why I'm aiming towards midwifery, nursing or something in this area.
I'm just not sure whether a HE course in Health and Social care is worth considering (I am currently doing a BTEC in Health and Social which I enjoy).
Thank - you so much !

Access to higher education courses are usually for mature students (19+) who have been out of education for a while.

Have you spoken to someone at your sixth form about how you're feeling and your possible options?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi
Thank - you so much !

Hi there, I saw this and just had to part some pearls of wisdom upon you ^_^ I am currently 19 and doing an Access to HE Diploma in Social Science, after...let's face it, not doing so well in my A Levels last year! I would describe the Access to HE course as an alternative route to university, providing you with subject-relevant skills and knowledge that you want to pursue at university or an apprenticeship, perhaps?

As you are in your AS year with your exams approaching, I wouldn't freak out too much as I felt in the exact same position as you!

I would just advise that you can talk to someone at your sixth form and discuss how you are feeling, and maybe if they can help you! It may just be the perceived pressure that you are putting on yourself that is causing you to dislike the sixth form atmosphere! You are not alone in this, everyone feels like this at this time of year!

Although (probably haven't helped you at all in this reply...:frown: ) I do wish you all the best with your AS exams and wish you all the best for whatever you decide to do in the future!
So to clarify you re doing
As biology
As psychology
And a btec worth one a level in health and social care?.
You d be too young to do an access course if you were to drop out , however could you not swap to somewhere that enabled you to do a btec in health and social care worth more than one a level.
Or carry on with a levels till the end and you could do a foundation degree in health and social care (the route I took:tongue:) then after a year of that switch to nursing/midwifery
Reply 4
I am doing an Access course and it is not easy. Think doing all A levels in 1 year! It good for learn different skills - research and how write assignment. But very hard work. I am do 29 full assignments in 1 year. Tutor is very help and always support, but if find A level hard it is not easy option to do Access. So think if best to carry on really.

Good luck :smile: I wish best always to you.

Quick Reply

Latest