The Student Room Group
Reply 1
um - what exactly do you mean?
Reply 2
I've gotta do one on losing my wallet :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Wow, I like that topic. How many words?
Reply 4
I don't know about the French, but the Swiss do (we're very close to the French). Do you only have to write about the French? If not, I can give you detailed information about the Swiss recycling system.
Reply 5
emme786
Unfortunately its got to be about the French, or about a French speaking country. Thank you for the offer though!

Switzerland is a French-speaking country! It just so happens that people there speak several other languages as well!
Reply 6
Umm i'm living in Switzerland at the moment and yes they definitely speak french where i am! Well.. french is the main language but you hear a lot of italian / germanisms too.. like they all say ciao instead of goodbye etc!

I'll ask around about the recycling here.. :smile:
They speak Italian in Switzerland? :confused: I've been to the German-speaking part. Sounds like German in a Welsh accent. :biggrin:
Reply 8
dani_88
Umm i'm living in Switzerland at the moment and yes they definitely speak french where i am! Well.. french is the main language but you hear a lot of italian / germanisms too.. like they all say ciao instead of goodbye etc!

I'll ask around about the recycling here.. :smile:

They say 'ciao' for goodbye in France proper as well!!
Becca
They say 'ciao' for goodbye in France proper as well!!

Except they spell it tchao, I believe. :smile: Germans do the same, but spell it tschau.
lol u sure about tschau?
aint it tschüss?

and a welsh accent?! scary
Fr0z3nfl4m3s
lol u sure about tschau?
aint it tschüss?

and a welsh accent?! scary

Tschüss just means bye. Tschau is quite common as a more familiar term in South Germany, obviously coming from the Italian 'ciao'. :smile: Slightly irrelevant link, but it proves my point.

wesetters
Not that I've seen.

I've definitely seen it. To be fair, the French probably treat it as one of those things like 'courriel' - 'tchao' exists, but if it's just a Frenched-up version of a better word, why not use the better word. :p: I've seen ciao a lot more. But I've definitely seen tchao. Clicky.
aite kool then =)
Reply 13
generalebriety
Except they spell it tchao, I believe. :smile: Germans do the same, but spell it tschau.

The Germans do sometimes indeed, but they mainly just write it as 'ciao'. :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah, have to say in a French context I've only ever seen it written as 'ciao'.

Latest

Trending

Trending