The Student Room Group

Want move away from my parents! Help!

I want to built an new life. I want to forget all the people I know in my City and this life. I want to move out to my university city ASAP! Living in the house is like being in an tense mousetrap. Parents want to control every aspect of my life and is does not help that I have views on life that is opposite to their values. I just want to leave immediately but I am at last year college (19) as this is an critical time.

But the biggest issue is the student loan. Why on earth do you need parent signatures? I am over 18! Is there an way to bypass this?
My parents are exactly the same stuck in there ways , think they know best , and want to be some dictator to there children.

I just ignore mine and just go out and have fun.

You gotta accept that sometime's your family is completely different to you i cut mine off years ago even going as far as changing my name to remove there's.

#LIFEGOESON
Reply 2
Original post by stoltguyboo
My parents are exactly the same stuck in there ways , think they know best , and want to be some dictator to there children.

I just ignore mine and just go out and have fun.

You gotta accept that sometime's your family is completely different to you i cut mine off years ago even going as far as changing my name to remove there's.

#LIFEGOESON

How did you cut them off? Did you change your identity?
Original post by Anonymous
How did you cut them off? Did you change your identity?

I did indeed i plotted for like 2 years going to lawyers and changing everything etc.

And i'm only 20 now and life has never been better sometimes you just have to accept your differences and move on.....Some people will never accept you for how you think/how you are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gott
Did you change it to another Swedish name?

Yes.
As a parent I think it is perfectly normal you want to move onto the next stage in your life. We aren't all the same and having different opinions as your mum and dad is fine and ultimately make the world more interesting. In defence of your parents, they only want the best for you and it's tricky to see your child make choices that you feel are 'wrong'. As best as you can try and have a calm discussion that respects their opinions/thoughts but shows them that you are an adult making your own way in life. Easier said than done I know.

As for the student loan I decided to change career a few years ago and needed a student loan. As I wasn't earning my husband was my guarantor (that's ok - he's always earned more and covered bills/mortgage etc and was happy to do so) but I had to have another signature to guarantee that I wasn't going to do a moonlight flit with the money so asked my mum as a formality. OMG! Talk about reluctant. She was very suspicious as to what she was signing to the point of not wanting to do it. There was no point asking my Dad as he would refer to my mum. Anyway she did. When it comes to money things can get ugly. You have to show that you can repay it......even if you're in your 40s.

It's a tough time for you at the moment but have a thought for your parents. In what feels like the blink of an eye to them, they've gone from worrying about the amount of vegetables in your diet to letting you loose into the big wide world.
It's natural to want to leave your home town and see the world for yourself but don't turn your back on all that you know either. It might be nice to see a friendly face in the future. Having said that it tickles me that social media throws links to 'friends' at me and I think 'I couldn't stand you then why on earth would I be interested in you now!'

Chin up. Work hard at what you need to go to were you want to go and look forward to the new you and less of the current you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending