The Student Room Group

How to stop having any form of emotions?

This is more calling all the sociopaths/psychopaths who lack empathy. I really want to disconnect with my emotions and stop feeling things for others. I hate emotions/feelings, they make me feel weak like I have no control over the situation and they mess up a lot of my plans/decisions.

I dont want to feel anything, is there a way I can train myself to stop feeling them? I'll do anything to get out of this! Any tips on disconnecting emotionally with everyone around you? This includes family and friends.

Scroll to see replies

I dunno OP, but I'm sure I have sociopathic traits. You feel pretty empty most of the time, are self centered and have a distinct lack of empathy for others. I'd rather not have emotions as as you said as they're a weakness. Being able to think purely from a logical perspective is a good thing though.
Original post by Anonymous
This is more calling all the sociopaths/psychopaths who lack empathy. I really want to disconnect with my emotions and stop feeling things for others. I hate emotions/feelings, they make me feel weak like I have no control over the situation and they mess up a lot of my plans/decisions.

I dont want to feel anything, is there a way I can train myself to stop feeling them? I'll do anything to get out of this! Any tips on disconnecting emotionally with everyone around you? This includes family and friends.

Yeah... There's a film like this called Equilibrium where people live in a place where feelings are banned and they take some drug to suppress their emotions.
Reply 3
Convince yourself you don't care, and you will begin to believe it.
Reply 4
Not wanting emotions means you care too much already. You can have emotions and have strong character, you're just emotionally weak.
Reply 5
This is not a good idea. Making yourself emotionally isolated will not only take away your sense of happiness, it could also lead to mental health issues. You need to learn to accept your flaws, everyone has emotions and everyone lets them get in the way from time to time. The solution for you is not to solve that problem but to stop seeing it as some terrible problem in the first place.

If you are so overemotional that it is really truly ruining your life then you need to get some help from a health professional instead of trying to manage everything in your own potentially harmful way.
Original post by Idorego
This is not a good idea. Making yourself emotionally isolated will not only take away your sense of happiness, it could also lead to mental health issues. You need to learn to accept your flaws, everyone has emotions and everyone lets them get in the way from time to time. The solution for you is not to solve that problem but to stop seeing it as some terrible problem in the first place.

If you are so overemotional that it is really truly ruining your life then you need to get some help for a health professional instead of trying to manage everything in your own potentially harmful way.

yeah you don't feel happiness as such, but you're immune to anyone else's pain but your own. Empathy is for the weak
Reply 7
Original post by james1801
yeah you don't feel happiness as such, but you're immune to anyone else's pain but your own. Empathy is for the weak

I wonder if you'd still be saying that if you were lying in bed with a serious medical condition.

No human being alive would benefit from a society lacking empathy.
Reply 8
Original post by james1801
I dunno OP, but I'm sure I have sociopathic traits. You feel pretty empty most of the time, are self centered and have a distinct lack of empathy for others. I'd rather not have emotions as as you said as they're a weakness. Being able to think purely from a logical perspective is a good thing though.

There are periods where I feel really empty and I have no emotions like I made someone harm themselves purely for my enjoyment and I gave no ****s. But then when I am out of this "state" I get all emotionally about things again and I care. Logical perspective? Yeah true! I just need to stop and think more logically, thanks. Any more tips?
Having emotion is what makes us human. Without them you'd be mute and robotic- you wanna be like that for the rest of your life?
Get a lobotomy :tongue:

Seriously though OP, you need to learn to control your emotions rather than not have them at all. It sounds like you care a lot but you need to start getting that I-don't-give-a-f*** attitude and choose the extent of how much you care for someone/something.

When you start getting attitude, you'll realise life can be easier than just caring for worthless people who don't deserve it.
Original post by godivaontherocks
Yeah... There's a film like this called Equilibrium where people live in a place where feelings are banned and they take some drug to suppress their emotions.

That sounds like an interesting film, thanks for the recommendation! I wonder if there IS a drug to suppress emotions - I'd take it.
Original post by grapes12
Convince yourself you don't care, and you will begin to believe it.

Thanks! I think this will work as I have been able to lie to myself many times until I have actually believed it.
Original post by Gott
So... you aspire to being autistic OP?

way to go, you misunderstood autism completely
Original post by whorace
Not wanting emotions means you care too much already. You can have emotions and have strong character, you're just emotionally weak.

How do you become emotionally "strong"?
The resolve isn't to numb but to control your emotions. There's that famous quote that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. You are in charge of how you feel and you can't be in charge of others. It's amazing how many people will push, prod and shove to get something out of you, yet with careful mindfulness, you can say no to the emotions they are trying to create within you. It takes practise but it gets easier. Chin up :smile: xx
Original post by Idorego

If you are so overemotional that it is really truly ruining your life then you need to get some help from a health professional instead of trying to manage everything in your own potentially harmful way.

I dont feel any happiness currently anyway. I dont even remember the last time I felt happiness, I just feel all the other emotions and especially empathy. I am genetically destined to have a mental disorder anyway so eh. I dont think I'm overemotional, I just dont like feelings/emotions.
Original post by Anonymous
There are periods where I feel really empty and I have no emotions like I made someone harm themselves purely for my enjoyment and I gave no ****s. But then when I am out of this "state" I get all emotionally about things again and I care. Logical perspective? Yeah true! I just need to stop and think more logically, thanks. Any more tips?

Not sure how to, but I guess you could condition yourself to decrease levels of empathy as its your brain after all. I don't know why I feel next to no empathy, but it isn't a disadvantage as I'm not gonna go out of my way to screw with people.
Sounds like you wanna become a Cyberman, fair play, them ray gun blaster things are sick
Original post by Idorego
I wonder if you'd still be saying that if you were lying in bed with a serious medical condition.

No human being alive would benefit from a society lacking empathy.

Well you would want people to love you/care for you but it does not mean you have to care back.

This is an individual case in which I believe lacking empathy would benefit me greatly.

Quick Reply

Latest