The Student Room Group

How to stop having any form of emotions?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I am not very connected with my emotions, I just think somewhere along the line I truly stopped caring about anything or anyone so nothing really ever makes me upset, also I have learnt there are MUCH better ways of dealing with something than crying about it, crying is very unproductive tbh instead of wasting that time just find a way to just deal with the problem at hand.
Original post by Emily.97
Having emotion is what makes us human. Without them you'd be mute and robotic- you wanna be like that for the rest of your life?

Not true. There are many successful psychopaths and sociopaths who are neither mute or robotic. Just different. And I do envy them :L
Original post by Idorego
I wonder if you'd still be saying that if you were lying in bed with a serious medical condition.

No human being alive would benefit from a society lacking empathy.

yeah I feel empathy for myself, so I'm sure I'd be worried
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gott
So... you aspire to being autistic OP?

You obviously need to educate yourself. I know someone personally who is actually autistic, I volunteer with autistic kids and I have done much research on Autism. Having no emotions is not a trait. They just find it hard to understand someone else's perspective, research theory of mind.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
Well you would want people to love you/care for you but it does not mean you have to care back.

This is an individual case in which I believe lacking empathy would benefit me greatly.

So basically you want to selfishly take and give nothing in return. And you want us to encourage you and help you out with that?
Original post by Idorego
So basically you want to selfishly take and give nothing in return. And you want us to encourage you and help you out with that?

This the best mindset to have
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Get a lobotomy :tongue:

Seriously though OP, you need to learn to control your emotions rather than not have them at all. It sounds like you care a lot but you need to start getting that I-don't-give-a-f*** attitude and choose the extent of how much you care for someone/something.

When you start getting attitude, you'll realise life can be easier than just caring for worthless people who don't deserve it.

How does one control their emotions? I dont care for worthless people who dont deserve it, thats not what I meant. I dont wanna care for anybody and I dont want emotions. Like sometimes I'll get really frustrated in a situation and end up shouting and getting angry. Or sometimes I'll be upset about something and start crying and I just dont want that.

But yes I guess the "idgaf attitude" is a start.
How does one control their emotions? I dont care for worthless people who dont deserve it, thats not what I meant. I dont wanna care for anybody and I dont want emotions. Like sometimes I'll get really frustrated in a situation and end up shouting and getting angry. Or sometimes I'll be upset about something and start crying and I just dont want that.

But yes I guess the "idgaf attitude" is a start.

OP are you a girl with boyfriend issues
Original post by NeverTooLatte
The resolve isn't to numb but to control your emotions. There's that famous quote that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. You are in charge of how you feel and you can't be in charge of others. It's amazing how many people will push, prod and shove to get something out of you, yet with careful mindfulness, you can say no to the emotions they are trying to create within you. It takes practise but it gets easier. Chin up :smile: xx

Its not about people making me emotional by upsetting/angering me, its about me having to care about people so it makes it very difficult to just ignore them when they speak to me because I am tired or something because it means they will get upset. Or I have to alter my responses in order to not hurt anyone. And its frankly quite annoying.

This isnt a case of "my boyfriend made me cry for weeks". Thanks for the response though.
Original post by Gott
He's talking about empathy and social situations is he not?

I am not a he, I guess that could be part of the problem.
Original post by Idorego

Yes. Hence "calling all sociopaths/psychopaths"
I am not a he, I guess that could be part of the problem.

How on Earth would that be part of the problem???

Penis envy manifesting itself in emotional behaviour?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Honestly I am not very connected with my emotions, I just think somewhere along the line I truly stopped caring about anything or anyone so nothing really ever makes me upset, also I have learnt there are MUCH better ways of dealing with something than crying about it, crying is very unproductive tbh instead of wasting that time just find a way to just deal with the problem at hand.

I agree. But its not just about caring about the people who are not worth it (I dont care about them in the first place) its about not being able to show much emotion in normal situations because it makes you lose control.
Original post by james1801
This the best mindset to have

How do you obtain it?
Reply 34
This is more calling all the sociopaths/psychopaths who lack empathy. I really want to disconnect with my emotions and stop feeling things for others. I hate emotions/feelings, they make me feel weak like I have no control over the situation and they mess up a lot of my plans/decisions.

I dont want to feel anything, is there a way I can train myself to stop feeling them? I'll do anything to get out of this! Any tips on disconnecting emotionally with everyone around you? This includes family and friends.

In some ways emotions can seem to make us weak - but it is also at our most emotional times that we are at our strongest.

There is no real way to stop them, but you can put a mental wall there
Original post by james1801
OP are you a girl with boyfriend issues

Nop! Boyfriends/Any relationship is high maintanence especially seeing as I have no learnt how to control my emotions/feelings with normal friends/family.
Original post by TorpidPhil
How on Earth would that be part of the problem???

Penis envy manifesting itself in emotional behaviour?

Women are genetically more emotional/hormonal. They have things like mother instincts and then the whole bipolar thing that sometimes occurs.
Original post by Andy98
In some ways emotions can seem to make us weak - but it is also at our most emotional times that we are at our strongest.

There is no real way to stop them, but you can put a mental wall there

There has to be some way to stop them even if it takes ages. I guess the mental wall will just have to be built :L
Women are genetically more emotional/hormonal. They have things like mother instincts and then the whole bipolar thing that sometimes occurs.

*grumbles*
Reply 39
There has to be some way to stop them even if it takes ages. I guess the mental wall will just have to be built :L

I can't comprehend why you'd want no emotions anyway, it'd just leave you with a bland, meaningless, dreary existence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending