The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

The Huddersfield social room thread - Are you a fresher starting in September?

Hi guys. If all goes well I'm hoping to be a student at Huddersfield in September, and like most new starters I am going to be moving to a new area, leaving friends and family behind.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a little chat room type thread, as a platform to network with other freshers, where you can hopefully find a few like minded students, and maybe make a few friends before starting in September.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok I'll go first, I am a mature student (32), hoping to start an exercise science degree at Huddersfield in September (Conditional offer, though I shouldn't fail to meet the condition).

I am a bit of a fitness nut, after a recent redundancy I decided to go back to college to try and turn my hobby into a career, and last year I qualified as a Fitness Instructor.

I am currently completing a second year at college to qualify as a Personal Trainer, and it has been one of the best decisions of my life. Despite going from full time to part time work, and being more broke than I have ever been in my life, I have really enjoyed being back in education, so much so that I thought I would take the plunge and apply to university (Would have been unthinkable two years ago), and so here I am, I think I must be the only person in the world who can look back and be thankful about getting laid off.

Outside of my studies, I am a total geek, with a love for Sci-fi and fantasy (Books/games/film/tv) my unwatched Netflix watchlist could probabally keep me going for the next 10 years!

A couple of interesting facts, I was a former patient of the infamous Harold Shipman, and I have just had my most recent plaster cast removed from my foot (My 7th broken bone to date), they don't call me Mr Bump for nothing!

The thing I am most looking forward to about starting Uni, is having a blank slate and fresh start. New area, new career, new challenges and new friends.

I don't want to go into to much detail, as I don't want to put people off with a huge wall of text. But feel free to share a bit about yourselves, life goals, hobbies etc, to help break the ice. Hopefully the Huddersfield forum here is somewhat active.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
See my sig below for a link to a better place for meeting people before uni starts :smile:
All ready a member :smile:
Hi Daniel I'm also a mature student starting a course at Huddersfield uni this September. I'm studying sport science, I am also a bit of a fitness freak and it would be nice to meet someone with similar interests! Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat further, thanks.
Heya buddy. I'd actually all but forgotten about this thread, until I just received an activity alert. Are you all set for next week?

Chances are we will probably end up in a lot of the same classes/lectures, when I attended an applicant day they told me that our courses (As well as Sport, Exercise & Nutrition) share the exact same first year. Apparently they do it this way to allow us the option of transferring onto one of the other courses hassle free in our second year if we feel that we made a mistake with our choice.

Have you looked up any of the local gyms yet? I was surprised at how many there actually were. I'm planning to go on a little gym tour over the first week or two to get a feel for what's on offer before tying my self down to a contract.
Yes pretty much ready to go! I'm moving to Huddersfield on the 22nd the same day as my course starts, when are you planning on moving?

Oh well I suppose that is useful, sport science is going to be new for me as I haven't any qualifications or experience in this subject. Judging from one of your previous comments, it seems you are already quite familiar with sport science?

I had a good scout round when I visited recently, I've earmarked a few, DW fitness and Top bodies look pretty good. I prefer more heavy weight backstreet kind of gyms and top bodies fits the description quite well, it's also pretty cheap. I would be interested in trying a few before I commit though. What sort of training do you do? I probably lean more towards bodybuilding than anything else.
Original post by Twillhall91
Yes pretty much ready to go! I'm moving to Huddersfield on the 22nd the same day as my course starts, when are you planning on moving?

Oh well I suppose that is useful, sport science is going to be new for me as I haven't any qualifications or experience in this subject. Judging from one of your previous comments, it seems you are already quite familiar with sport science?

I had a good scout round when I visited recently, I've earmarked a few, DW fitness and Top bodies look pretty good. I prefer more heavy weight backstreet kind of gyms and top bodies fits the description quite well, it's also pretty cheap. I would be interested in trying a few before I commit though. What sort of training do you do? I probably lean more towards bodybuilding than anything else.

I'm moving in on Friday, I'd like the weekend to explore the town a little and get my bearings straight.

I have a little experience, but nothing special and my knowledge is probably very basic compared to degree level, so I'm sure we will all be in the same boat when we start.

I have both those gyms on my 'visit list'. Top Bodies, is that the one where all the equipment is bright yellow? Judging by your preference, Maloney's might interest you too, it fits your description (Its even built into a crumbling decrepit old mill haha), they also offer a student membership at £140/year, which isn't bad at all.

I'm also more into my weight training, predominantly strength training. My main focus is powerlifting, but I have dabbled with strongman too (Its just a shame that so few gyms actually have strongman equipment).
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you moving far? Unfortunately I can't move in until the 22nd due to issues with paying tax. I'm only in Leeds at the moment so I will probably commute the first day, Are you moving into halls or private residence?

I think I dismissed maloneys as its a little out of the centre and not close to where I'm living but I've got a car now so I guess it's still an option. Yeah top bodies has the yellow equipment, it's also close to where I'm planning on living and aldi, so I can probably kill two birds with one stone! I haven't much expirience with powerlifting and strongman although I do have a couple of friends who compete though.
I'm only coming from Rochdale, so not that far. I had planned to commute each day, but I fancied a change of scenery.

I thought Maloney's was close by, guess I was mistaken.
I start 21st and will be studying politics & criminology.

Out of curiosity is anyone going to their welcome meeting?
Original post by simondo93
I start 21st and will be studying politics & criminology.

Out of curiosity is anyone going to their welcome meeting?

I thought it was compulsory? Though yes I will be going, for most of us it will be our first face to face with classmates and lecturers, and there will probably be a fair bit of important information (dates/times slots for enrolment, library inductions etc).
Original post by DanielSingleton
I thought it was compulsory? Though yes I will be going, for most of us it will be our first face to face with classmates and lecturers, and there will probably be a fair bit of important information (dates/times slots for enrolment, library inductions etc).

I'm not sure it is since I got different answers from different lectures and what not.

I'm more questioning the people who can't get to uni for 9:15am since they'll also be driving from across the country & chucking all there stuff into there new accommodation.

I know enrolment isn't until the following day for my course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah fair enough. My welcome meeting is not until the middle of next week, and so I figured most people would have moved by then.
Ah fair enough. My welcome meeting is not until the middle of next week, and so I figured most people would have moved by then.

Since mines the morning of the day I move to uni is would be unrealistic for it to be compulsory.
Heya buddy. I'd actually all but forgotten about this thread, until I just received an activity alert. Are you all set for next week?

Chances are we will probably end up in a lot of the same classes/lectures, when I attended an applicant day they told me that our courses (As well as Sport, Exercise & Nutrition) share the exact same first year. Apparently they do it this way to allow us the option of transferring onto one of the other courses hassle free in our second year if we feel that we made a mistake with our choice.

Have you looked up any of the local gyms yet? I was surprised at how many there actually were. I'm planning to go on a little gym tour over the first week or two to get a feel for what's on offer before tying my self down to a contract.

I myself will be heading to huddersfield soon to study sport science! Found any good gyms yet?lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending