The Student Room Group

Wetherspoons bar staff interview help!!!

Hi i applied online for wetherspoons on the 16th april 15, and today (27th april) i had a call back to ask if id like to come in for an interview on friday ( 1st may)
Im super nervous, as I've never worked behind the bar before, although i have worked at sainsburys and been a waitress.
Has anyone got any advice on the process of the interview what sort of questions you were asked, how long it took etc? Its for 20 hrs work so I'm really hoping i do well!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Back when I started Uni I worked for Wetherspoons for a short amount of time, so I'll give a little insight.

Before I start, well done on getting an interview!

Firstly, I will get it right out in the open. It isn't the best company to work for and they have a reputation behind them. This might be just for London one's in particular though so don't let it put you off.

You should research the company, as with all companies this is what will be asked in the interview and you'll need to know quite a lot as this is something they're keen on.
They will also give you scenario's that you'll need to put yourself in and answer, as Wetherspoon's has cheap alcohol it attracts some dodgy crowds so this will be important, you will need to show that you can react positively in such a scenario. Other than that you won't get many more questions other than generic one's, i.e:

- "Why did you choose us?"
- "Who are our competitors?"
- "What attracts you this position?"
- "If given the opportunity, would you work extra shifts?"

In terms of training, you will most likely begin working as a waitress or "floor staff" as they put it. You'll have to master this pretty quickly as you will most likely be doing this alongside any bar work. Bartending isn't hard to learn, it's only a Wetherspoon's so the majority of what you will be serving is mainly Ale's and Lager's. Try and Youtube how to pour a perfect pint and you're set really.

Good luck and make sure you have comfortable shoes!
Ah thanks! I know I've read some pretty bad things online, so put me off a bit! But this is a nice pub, so i hope its a good place to work :smile: Its not in a big city or anything, but it is the only pub really around there haha!

I will do, i think i'll click on pretty quickly, i had an interview for tesco a couple of weeks ago but got put on hold as there was tons of interviewees and only 2 jobs! I found that interview pretty challenging as there was alot of questions and scenarios so hopefully i'll be alright with this one! My cousin owns a bar so i might try get a quick bar session in before hand!
Thanks for you advice :biggrin:
Original post by riverauror93
Ah thanks! I know I've read some pretty bad things online, so put me off a bit! But this is a nice pub, so i hope its a good place to work :smile: Its not in a big city or anything, but it is the only pub really around there haha!

I will do, i think i'll click on pretty quickly, i had an interview for tesco a couple of weeks ago but got put on hold as there was tons of interviewees and only 2 jobs! I found that interview pretty challenging as there was alot of questions and scenarios so hopefully i'll be alright with this one! My cousin owns a bar so i might try get a quick bar session in before hand!
Thanks for you advice :biggrin:

Welcome :smile:
xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending