The Student Room Group

Career Options

I am currently a y12 student studying my AS subjects
My subjects are Maths, chemistry, Psychology and ICT.

What degrees apart from pharmacy or teaching could I do
maybe something around life sciences, health and medicine or even something STEM related
You d be able to do a lot of degrees with those subjects, i think you d need 3 sciences for medicine though.
Think you should look into which part of science do you enjoy the most?
Also are you a good people person/teamworker or would you rather work alone/for yourself?
You could be restricted for some science degrees if you re not doing biology though
Reply 3
That is true I have looked at a few many need two sciences and maths is one of these so I technically have 2 sciences

Chemistry is seen as the best and most looked at anyway so I am still a bit stuck I have been looking at few things though

Original post by claireestelle
You could be restricted for some science degrees if you re not doing biology though
Original post by AyshaU
That is true I have looked at a few many need two sciences and maths is one of these so I technically have 2 sciences

Chemistry is seen as the best and most looked at anyway so I am still a bit stuck I have been looking at few things though

There's so many options really, would you like to work in healthcare maybe? That would narrow it down a bit
Reply 5
There's so many options really, would you like to work in healthcare maybe? That would narrow it down a bit

That is an idea
what exactly would you recommend
I recon you could go into any allied health profession; nurses, midwifes, possibly paramedic( you need a driving license for that), physiotherapy, ot or even radiology i think.

Also i think you could be a healthcare scientist doing lab work and the like.
Basically depends how you want to work with people, if you do at all:smile:
Reply 7
I recon you could go into any allied health profession; nurses, midwifes, possibly paramedic( you need a driving license for that), physiotherapy, ot or even radiology i think.

Also i think you could be a healthcare scientist doing lab work and the like.
Basically depends how you want to work with people, if you do at all:smile:

I don't mind working in a team or individually so that wouldn't matter
to be a midwife you need biology
I was thinking maybe nursing or diagnostic radiography
Original post by AyshaU
I don't mind working in a team or individually so that wouldn't matter
to be a midwife you need biology
I was thinking maybe nursing or diagnostic radiography

Get some experience in both nursing and radiography in a hospital if you can:smile: I could help with any nursing questions:P
Reply 9
Get some experience in both nursing and radiography in a hospital if you can:smile: I could help with any nursing questions:P

do you know about child nursing or adult nursing
Original post by AyshaU
do you know about child nursing or adult nursing

I decided to go for mental health branch, however i do know a bit about the others.

I d say children is MUCH MUCH harder to get into than adult and you really need to get plenty of experience if you wanted to go for that, basically in the uni i ve got a place at, they have 100+ adult places and only 20 child places so only choose child branch if you are absolutely sure you want to work with children and get tonnes of experience in child in the next few months; volunteering at a nursery and things like that help so i v eheard
Reply 11
I decided to go for mental health branch, however i do know a bit about the others.

I d say children is MUCH MUCH harder to get into than adult and you really need to get plenty of experience if you wanted to go for that, basically in the uni i ve got a place at, they have 100+ adult places and only 20 child places so only choose child branch if you are absolutely sure you want to work with children and get tonnes of experience in child in the next few months; volunteering at a nursery and things like that help so i v eheard

ok thanks so far I think I would prefer the child nursing though compared to the adults
Original post by AyshaU
ok thanks so far I think I would prefer the child nursing though compared to the adults

If thats what you prefer then go for it:smile: Just get yourself plenty of experience, maybe do your year 12 work experience in a hospital if you can
Reply 13
of course i'll try
work experience is very hard to find in a hospital

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending