The Student Room Group

Edexcel psychology unit 3/4 crim/child and clinical/issuesdebates june 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No I work through the order of the paper, I find that time with psychology is actually quite favourable. I always write based on how many marks the question is. If the question is 2 marks then I make sure to mention 2 points or elaborate on one. But with A2 it's better to elaborate on fewer points rather than mention a lot of points with no elaboration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by lizzie97
how do you guys manage time? do you start with the 12/18 mark essays first?

Don't do that unless you know 100% you won't dwell on. It's best to leave it last because I know students who spent way too much time on the 18 marker and missed questions out because they did it first. I'm gunna do it from left to right. My main problem is I write too much so what I planned for my AS resits that I done some weeks ago, was I answered the minimum amount of every question like R-T said so by the time the whole paper(s) were complete, I had about 15-20 min spare to add tons more to questions I wanted to come back to and I aced it! I understand unit 4 is different time wise but I'm sticking to this technique and hopefully all goes well. It's more about getting into the question and writing fast but effectively.

If you want to start with the 12 marker in Unit 3 thats OK because it's not like unit 4 where there are higher mark questions. One thing though is that the 18 marker in unit 4 is actually a 12 marker. 6 marks are from spelling, grammar and punctuation so don't get too put off.
Reply 42
The exam is next week ah ! Time to go over everything as fast as possible !

Do any of you guys have teachers who predicted something for the 12 marker other than SLT for crim and the reversibility of privation for child?
Original post by Malicious
The exam is next week ah ! Time to go over everything as fast as possible !

Do any of you guys have teachers who predicted something for the 12 marker other than SLT for crim and the reversibility of privation for child?

reversibility of privation? what's there to write for 12 marks for that?! :redface: none of my teachers have predicted anything but i feel like one of the core studies for crim will come up, even if its to compare 2 studies' evaluation (eg- their reliability). I don't have any idea what will come up in child but a slight feeling bowlby's theory could come up. Really hope to do well next week as Unit 4 is a nightmare!
i'd love for SLT to come up but looking at last year's paper they had two questions with application of SLT and one about comparison of SLT and something else, so I don't think there's much chance of that coming up this year :/
Reply 45
reversibility of privation? what's there to write for 12 marks for that?! :redface: none of my teachers have predicted anything but i feel like one of the core studies for crim will come up, even if its to compare 2 studies' evaluation (eg- their reliability). I don't have any idea what will come up in child but a slight feeling bowlby's theory could come up. Really hope to do well next week as Unit 4 is a nightmare!

My teacher predicted it and according to an examiner who WRITES THIS specific exam unit 3 and 4, my teacher remembered last year he said "Reversibility of privation is a REALLY good question" and it didn't come up that year ( last year ) so it's probably coming up this year ! There's quite a few things for privation. You have Genie and the Czech twins as your 2 main studies then Rutter's ERA study. It will be an 'assess' question if it comes up so your structure for that question will be going back and forth and back and forth with your answers. There really is no proper structure if im honest. I hope it doesn't come up though, i'd rather something more straight forward. Ainsworth is not coming up for 12 marks THANK GOD! And bowlby's theory is coming up yes it comes up every year no doubt its coming this year.

Original post by croatoan
i'd love for SLT to come up but looking at last year's paper they had two questions with application of SLT and one about comparison of SLT and something else, so I don't think there's much chance of that coming up this year :/

Yeah but tons of other schools' teachers predicted it and so far unit 1 and 2 were correctly predicted. I'm not gunna take chances haha ! Another possible 12 marker is Loftus and Palmer my teacher thinks. It's never come up before. That's a really good question.
Original post by Malicious
My teacher predicted it and according to an examiner who WRITES THIS specific exam unit 3 and 4, my teacher remembered last year he said "Reversibility of privation is a REALLY good question" and it didn't come up that year ( last year ) so it's probably coming up this year ! There's quite a few things for privation. You have Genie and the Czech twins as your 2 main studies then Rutter's ERA study. It will be an 'assess' question if it comes up so your structure for that question will be going back and forth and back and forth with your answers. There really is no proper structure if im honest. I hope it doesn't come up though, i'd rather something more straight forward. Ainsworth is not coming up for 12 marks THANK GOD! And bowlby's theory is coming up yes it comes up every year no doubt its coming this year.

That's an interesting prediction from your teacher and I could actually see that being a thing, especially since I read in one of the examiner reports that there a potential for the examiners to demand a greater number of marks in comparison to what has been asked for in previous exam papers (maximum for the reversibility of privation questions has been 4 marks from what I can recall). I'm not sure if I could see the full 12 marks being on the assessment on the reversibility of privation, especially since 12 markers will usually ask for more than single element (usually 2-3 elements are assessed); perhaps its possible that they would ask for a discussion about the reversibility of privation for the first section of the question and then the second part asking us to evaluate research into privation :redface:? Otherwise, personally I actually wouldn't mind the 12 marker being on this as like you say, there are quite a lot of things which can be used to discuss the reversibility of privation. A small question relating to the reversibility of privation did come up last year (had to specifically use Genie and explain whether the negative effects of privation can be overcome based on her case), but there's certaintly potential for it to be a higher marked question.

In general, I'm not sure what I really want to come up in the exam to be honest xD I think there is a likelihood that SLT + studies in detail will come up in criminal and evidence of practice for either criminal or child (I would probably say child most likely though if it were to only come up in one of them, as its only ever come up once for child). Generally, I feel alright with the majority of the content I suppose, just trying to brush up on specifics. I'm significantly more worried about unit 4! I hope revision is going well for everyone for both units :smile: I've been worried that I'm not doing enough but the majority of the people in my year haven't even started to revise psychology, so I guess that makes me feel better xD
how much of methodology do you think will come up?
Original post by TheFinalFlare
I think there is a likelihood that SLT + studies in detail will come up in criminal and evidence of practice for either criminal or child (I would probably say child most likely though if it were to only come up in one of them, as its only ever come up once for child).

What do you really write for the practicals? I've self-taught the course this year and the spec doesn't really have anything on them. I know it's a newspaper/magazine analysis but do you just write how you came about the articles, and then their findings? Then apply some of the case study knowledge? I really don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm doing the same exam :-)

Just wondering how likely people think it is that there'll be a question on ADHD/Autism?
I'm not really aware of any past questions on it, just curious as to what everyone thinks. :smile:
Reply 50
Quick possibility for the Child 12 marker for Unit 3.
2014 and 2011 both included the strange situation
2013 and 2010 both included D+E of Bowlby
It seems as if there's a 3 year gap therefore in 2012 the question was on autism so it's a possibility that for the 2015 test that the 12 marker might be to do with autism???
Original post by alyssacoker
Hi, I'm doing the same exam :-)

Just wondering how likely people think it is that there'll be a question on ADHD/Autism?
I'm not really aware of any past questions on it, just curious as to what everyone thinks. :smile:

just been looking through the past papers and there hasn't been a lot on autism so i do see it coming up :smile: like said by rlofting it could even be a 12 marker! if not, i think it'll still come up maybe as a 6mark question
Reply 52
Original post by TheFinalFlare
That's an interesting prediction from your teacher and I could actually see that being a thing, especially since I read in one of the examiner reports that there a potential for the examiners to demand a greater number of marks in comparison to what has been asked for in previous exam papers (maximum for the reversibility of privation questions has been 4 marks from what I can recall). I'm not sure if I could see the full 12 marks being on the assessment on the reversibility of privation, especially since 12 markers will usually ask for more than single element (usually 2-3 elements are assessed); perhaps its possible that they would ask for a discussion about the reversibility of privation for the first section of the question and then the second part asking us to evaluate research into privation :redface:? Otherwise, personally I actually wouldn't mind the 12 marker being on this as like you say, there are quite a lot of things which can be used to discuss the reversibility of privation. A small question relating to the reversibility of privation did come up last year (had to specifically use Genie and explain whether the negative effects of privation can be overcome based on her case), but there's certaintly potential for it to be a higher marked question.

In general, I'm not sure what I really want to come up in the exam to be honest xD I think there is a likelihood that SLT + studies in detail will come up in criminal and evidence of practice for either criminal or child (I would probably say child most likely though if it were to only come up in one of them, as its only ever come up once for child). Generally, I feel alright with the majority of the content I suppose, just trying to brush up on specifics. I'm significantly more worried about unit 4! I hope revision is going well for everyone for both units :smile: I've been worried that I'm not doing enough but the majority of the people in my year haven't even started to revise psychology, so I guess that makes me feel better xD

I see where you are coming from. It's just that this specific examiner kinda hinted last years 12 marker for unit 2 and it was correct ! It's a matter of how much we can remember in the end. Predictions are exactly what they are ! Predictions! Might be wrong but let's just wait and see =P Revision is going fine I guess i'm the same as you at the moment just brushing up.

Original post by croatoan
What do you really write for the practicals? I've self-taught the course this year and the spec doesn't really have anything on them. I know it's a newspaper/magazine analysis but do you just write how you came about the articles, and then their findings? Then apply some of the case study knowledge? I really don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

To sum up, for criminology its a content analysis and for child its a summary/practical.
For both they'll ask either the aim, then how you gathered your data and/or your results. Your teacher has given you a A4 sheet with the whole thing which is pretty damn long for a small number of marks. That's the hardest part tbh of the whole spec. My teacher made us all write out the content analysis and the best one was picked for photocopying and handed out to all of us and it was full marks. I'll give mine in full marks ( might be by chance the same article no idea but if not, it still gives you an idea of how to write yours e.g. changing quotes is the only difference etc).

1) Aim of your investigation ( 2 marks )
To see if stereotypical views regarding race e.g. A hispanic man living in Florida, could lead to a false conviction and unreliable eye witness testimonies which could lead to an innocent person being sent to prison/convicted.

2) Describe how you gathered/analysed the data for your practical ( 3 marks )
We carried out a pilot study of our content analysis to iron out any flaws and to standardize all procedures. We then developed coding units from our article on 'the reliability of EWT' such as 'stereotypes based on appearance' and analysed phrases from the article such as 'Bald, shirtless and Hispanic', 'Identified in dim lighting' to enable gathering of qualitative data AND quantitative data. We tallied how many times these statements appeared for each coding unit in order to derive a conclusion as well as to figure out techniques which can be used by police when questioning eye witnesses ( cog interview ).

3) Outline findings ( 3 marks )
We found that stereotypical views can have a negative effect on the quality of recall by eye witnesses and the reliability of EWT'S particularly when combined with leading q's.

(For findings I won't go into detail but you MUST mention Loftus and Palmer's findings about the over estimating with statistics and also Yarmey. For Yarmey however you can give a quote from the article e.g. ''I couldn't see the culprit due to dim lighting" and so you can link this to how 62% falsely identified the target in Yarmey's study. These 2 studies are your evidence in practice. After you did those 2, you throw in cognitive interviews as a alternative ( like " police should use cognitive interviews as they avoid leading q's" etc) and that's your findings for 3 marks.

I haven't revised my child psychology summary though but I will this weekend.
Reply 53
how much of methodology do you think will come up?

Quite abit !
has anyone got the edexcel psychology unit 3 january 2015 IAL (international) paper? there was one for january 2014 so I assume there would be a january 2015 paper
Help! How would you answer these question on your content analysis or article summary? Can someone give a rough example. Found in January 2012.
1. What was the aim and purpose of your practical investigation?
2. Describe how you went about gathering and analysing/summarising the data foryour practical investigation.
3. Explain the findings (results and/or conclusions) you have drawn from yourpractical investigation. You must use psychological concepts (e.g. research and/ortheories) that you have studied.
Reply 56
Has anyone had a guy called Ali Ghalib come into do revision sessions at your school? If so did he make any predictions on what will come up??
Reply 57
Original post by jadejadeshade
Help! How would you answer these question on your content analysis or article summary? Can someone give a rough example. Found in January 2012.
1. What was the aim and purpose of your practical investigation?
2. Describe how you went about gathering and analysing/summarising the data foryour practical investigation.
3. Explain the findings (results and/or conclusions) you have drawn from yourpractical investigation. You must use psychological concepts (e.g. research and/ortheories) that you have studied.

Look up a few posts. I just did one ;p

Original post by Jdiaper
Has anyone had a guy called Ali Ghalib come into do revision sessions at your school? If so did he make any predictions on what will come up??

He was the guy I was referring to in my long post some posts above.
Reply 58
Did he come to your school @Malicious also can you repost please?
Original post by Jdiaper

He's came into my school 2 times at the beginning of year 13 to help us with AS resists and everything he dropped 'hints' on were total rubbish! He may know his stuff but his predictions were useless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending