The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Anyone applied for Pinnacles for 2015?

Hello!
I'm new on the forum but I thought i'd ask if anyone has applied for the Pinnacles for 2015?
I put it as my first as despite the fact it's far away, I don't really care, I like walking!

Just looking to get to know people who I may end up living near.
Thanks!
- Matthew

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matt_Stark
Hello!
I'm new on the forum but I thought i'd ask if anyone has applied for the Pinnacles for 2015?
I put it as my first as despite the fact it's far away, I don't really care, I like walking!

Thanks!
- Matthew

Hey Matthew :smile: I've applied to pinaccles as my first choice too! Started to think I was going to be the only one going haha!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hello!

Thanks!
- Matthew

Picking my accommodation as we speak and I think The Pinnacles will be my first choice. So excited to go!
Hey, I have also applied for the pinnacles and when I went on the open day, it didn't feel like a very long walk at all! :smile:
Abbie
Original post by abbiethijs
Hey, I have also applied for the pinnacles and when I went on the open day, it didn't feel like a very long walk at all! :smile:
Abbie

Hey abbie, I don't think it's that far either. I haven't actually walked from the pinnacles to the uni but to the city centre which is pretty much the same thing right :smile: what course have you applied to study?
Hey! I started to think that too as I haven't see many people who are applying for Pinnacles... but it's ok, we aren't alone! :biggrin:

Exactly! I think most people are applying for the ones that are practically on top of the uni if that makes sense? But, at least there are a few of us applying haha :smile:
Same here, the constant A Level mock papers I'm doing now are really starting to get to me, can't wait to get a break then to come to Hallam!
What have you applied for?

Ah poor you! I'm doing a BTEC so it's all coursework thankfully! :smile: Completely agree with the whole having a break though.. I'm currently trying to book a holiday for the summer so that should be good. I've applied to study Childhood Studies :smile: What about you? (I think you have already said... but feel free to say again) haha
Well I was replying to other people in the thread so I asked you again just after but nevermind, I'll just reply to you here! I applied to do Software Engineering which is quite alot of work (basically most of my time will be spent making computer programs :biggrin: ) but that's all good, what is childhood studies?

haha would be good if I actually paid attention to what was going on right? so when you were asking someone else I didn't rudely reply for them :P haha I'm such a tit. I guess that's what happens when I try and multitask. And I thought I was pretty good with technology... well not anymore! I'm actually laughing at how I didn't even notice it was to someone else. Sounds good! To put it as simply as I can... studying childhood :P you know.. working with children. I want to do a PGCE after to become a teacher.
(Don't worry about it, everyone misreads things!)
Oh I see, that sounds pretty interesting. I've never considered being a teacher personally because I think I'd get annoyed too easily but I respect anyone that can! Any specific subject you want to teach?

Haha, true, but still embarrassing. I suppose you just have to be patient, I mean I want to teach in a Primary School eventually so that will be all subjects really. So have you got a confirmed place on your course or is it subject to conditions?
It's conditional but my offer is 200 points, which is quite a bit lower than normal (the interviewer said he was impressed with my personal statement and interview so yay :biggrin:) so in my A Levels, I need CCD but due to my AS Levels being BBC already, I'm in a pretty good place! As long as all goes as planned I should get BBC-ish overall!
What about you?

Yeah that's a pretty good offer! I think mine was 260 but its changed to an unconditional! Ooh well done, that's good! So you're on target, should be fine then :smile:
I should be, yes *fingers crossed*
It's good that you got an unconditional, congratz! Makes things easy for you! July and August aren't going to be fun as I anxiously wait for my results :s-smilie:

Haha thank you, yeah I guess I still want the best results though. You'll be fine! :smile:
Thanks, I should be all good unless something goes horribly wrong, my mocks say I should get decent enough grades :biggrin:

Since we may all end up living in the same building here, I thought I'd do a "formal introduction" because why not?

Name: Matthew Stark
Currently living: Cambridgeshire
Degree I plan to study: Software Engineering
Interests: Technology, Anime/Manga (I know, I'm a weirdo :biggrin:), Few video games, SLEEPING (I'm just basically your stereotypical nerdy person!)

So feel free to either reply back with your own "formal intro" thing with as much or little information as you like, or not, your choice :smile:

(Anyone else applying to The Pinnacles too, feel free to introduce yourselves, it'll be good if we can all know each other before September anyway!)

Haha, just go with your mocks... you may even do better :smile:
Okaay so i'll continue with your little formal intro haha
Name: Sapphire Clarke
Currently living: Hertfordshire
Degree I plan to study: Childhood Studies
Interests: Just to put this out there, I hate interests questions! I like travelling, photography, going to concerts... The general stuff haha! I sound so boring!
Nice to meet you Sapphire Clarke! (never met a Sapphire before!)
I apologise for the "interest" question then :biggrin: I just thought i'd add it in there because other people tend to! You don't sound boring (even so, i wouldn't worry, I sound like a weirdo!)

I wish I had the money to travel as I like going to new places but sadly it's expensive :frown:

Haha well you have now, aren't you lucky :P just kidding, it's nothing special.
Ahh thanks and I know...but I still find it tricky to answer. And you don't sound like a weirdo ha!
I know, I haven't been on holiday in yeaaars, but I have just booked one for next month so I'm very excited :smile: But yeah, it is expensive, I just thought... if I don't go on holiday this summer, I'm unlikely to be able to afford it when I'm at uni, so why not!
I think Sapphire is a pretty cool name though, I just have a biblical name that so many people have (Though I do have a pretty good surname, Iron Man and Game of Thrones popularised it so now tons of people ask me whether I'm lying when I say Stark! :biggrin:) But Sapphire is quite a rare name, I assume you are female as that's more popular but a male Sapphire is even rarer!

That's true, where are you headed next month then?
I last went on holiday 2 years ago to my Granddad's villa in Spain which was pretty nice but someday I'd love to travel to many different places around the world (an East maybe West coast USA roadtrip would be AMAZING) but I have to get money before that happens!

Haha thank you :smile: I've never heard it before. And yes I'm female haha! I've never heard of a male sapphire. I've only met and worked with one other sapphire before.
I'm going to Zante in Greece :smile: ooh that sounds nice, I love staying in villas! And I agree, that sounds pretty cool!
Greece is pretty great, I went to Rhodes Island a few years back, one of the best holidays I've been on! (For the record, the food out there is amazing and pretty damn cheap! As is alcohol!)

Yeah! I've been to Corfu in Greece before and it was lovely :smile: sounds perfect haha!
Yeah, Well I hope you have fun!
So, any particular reason you are choosing Hallam?

Thanks! Well my brother went there a few years ago, so I've been and visited him and just really liked the city. When I went on the open days I just loved how modern the uni was, and same with the accommodation. And the course just really suits what I want :smile: what about you?
Yeah Sheffield is an amazing city (I found this great panini shop down an alley way in the town centre as well!) From all the unis I looked around, Sheffield was by far the best city and the uni felt so modern and happy!

I may have been able to just get into to a course at Sheffield Uni instead with BBC but even at some of the higher end unis I looked at, their computing courses were so outdated (the course has to change every 3 or so years as technology changes) and the computers themselves were also really outdated, somehow, Hallam was able to be one of the best despite being considered a "low ranking" uni, but I just ignore all the ranking anyway :biggrin: That's why I chose Hallam at least!

I think you just have to go with what feels right don't you. I agree with the whole ranking thing, I applied to what are supposed to be 'higher/better' universities but decided that they just weren't for me and that the ranking really doesn't matter all that much. You've got to go with what you'll be happy with as well, cause you'll be spending the next 3/4 years there.
Strange that a computing course is outdated though as you say, surely they'd want to be keeping up with the latest technology and such. Anyway, at least you found a course that will suit you :smile:
Yeah I pretty much agree with you there, it's all just education at the end of the day! (And partying, quite a bit of partying)

You'd think they'd want to stay current but I guess not. To give an example, since Software Engineering is quite literally developing software for devices, make programs for a laptop is very different to making programs for a smart phones (one has a small touch screen and no mouse for example), yet alot of redbrick unis refuse to embrace new technology, i guess because the lecturer has been teaching the same course for years and years and doesn't want to rewrite it all?

Yeah I was thinking maybe the uni is just set in its way of doing things. And that's great if people are achieving from it, but after their degree that won't be very useful if they try to get a job in that area and only know about older technology that is no longer relevant.
Yeah, so that's why I chose Hallam! The lecturer is also really cool, he seems like a very relaxed kind of person, someone who you'd want to go talk to, y'know?
I'm just really looking forward to getting the next 6 or so weeks out of the way so my exams are finished and then i can enjoy summer and then be ready for uni!

Yeah that's good if he seems approachable :smile: I bet! When are your exams? I'm hoping to finish college within the next few weeks! Then I will be doing the same, relaxing and preparing for uni!
[QUOTE=Matt_Stark;55528527]Same here, the constant A Level mock papers I'm doing now are really starting to get to me, can't wait to get a break then to come to Hallam!
What have you applied for?

I'm doing some papers now. I'm studying Maths and I have 4 units to do for it. So that means 56 past papers as I'm doing 14 for each:frown: Changed my accommodation choice to Leadmill Point and Charlotte Court though sorry:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest