The Student Room Group

Lecture on Rape at University.

I've been going over the lecture slides of a Rape Case Study carried out by a female lecturer. It's part of my exam later on today, and apparently everyone's been saying it's very likely it'll be in the exam itself.

Anyway, something is bugging me.

Throughout the slides, it seems like blame is being put 100% on men - as in there have been no mention of male rape at all.

Quotes such as this one made me uneasy "—Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear (Brownmiller 1975)"

I remember in the seminar that no mention of male rape was made either and the statistic the (again) female lecturer had were just for women.

Now I know women are overwhelmingly the main victims of rape, but to throw aside occasions of men being raped is appalling. Especially when both females lecturers are openly feminists.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
femiNAZIS call for equality of rights when really they want men under their thumb.
Reply 2
Original post by Rovey
femiNAZIS call for equality of rights when really they want men under their thumb.

Oh there was also this quote:

"—Feminism is a belief that women are oppressed and a commitment to ending that oppression’ (Kelly 1988;107)"

I thought Feminism was there to support both women AND men??? :confused::confused:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Oh there was also this quote:

"—Feminism is a belief that women are oppressed and a commitment to ending that oppression’ (Kelly 1988;107)"

I thought Feminism was there to support both women AND men??? :confused::confused:

Well feminism has largely departed from the old days whereby they would call for the right to vote and work rights to FemiNAZISM where anything less than men under their boot is unacceptable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Not sure about the quote for sure. But your male rape angle doesn't hold much sway, as it is committed by men. What course are you studying and do I detect a touch of trolling?
I've been going over the lecture slides of a Rape Case Study carried out by a female lecturer. It's part of my exam later on today, and apparently everyone's been saying it's very likely it'll be in the exam itself.

Anyway, something is bugging me.

Throughout the slides, it seems like blame is being put 100% on men - as in there have been no mention of male rape at all.

Quotes such as this one made me uneasy "—Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear (Brownmiller 1975)"

I remember in the seminar that no mention of male rape was made either and the statistic the (again) female lecturer had were just for women.

Now I know women are overwhelmingly the main victims of rape, but to throw aside occasions of men being raped is appalling. Especially when both females lecturers are openly feminists.

Thoughts?

yeahh; feminism still exists dude. this is the type of feminism that wanted to get rid of all the males back when it first started (research the SCUM movement); so it's understandable what they're doing. what i don't understand is third wave feminism which tries to convince me that feminists want 'equality'. surely, if they did, they wouldn't be of the ideology whos' notion is primarily focused on women; would they?

another thing, male rape does exist. i've seen witness reports, heard of disgusting accounts (this is rape in which a female rapes a guy); and so on. but, feminists wouldn't ever want to agree that it exists, as it distracts from them and their idiotic agenda.

yet another thing, don't believe those stats that they give you in the lectures, they're all false and were made up to lie to the masses. i say this because, yes, people get raped (ugly but true); however, there are some females that cry wolf; who NEVER get sentenced (or sentenced as long as they should be. i think it would be justice for all the false allegations to get the length of jail time the guys who were accused would get); for their crimes, and are thus free to destroy a mans' life from behind the scenes. in addition, most of the 'rapes' that have occured that the feminists would've loved to have incorporated, are ones in which both parties get drunk; and then the girl wakes up in the morning and realizes that the guy is butt ugly.

4) they forgot to mention that the males that are accused don't get to keep any anonymity. So if it's a case of where both male and female get drunk and have sex; in the morning the female might decide to stick the guy in jail (false claims); and would be perfectly justified (this legal system is the bane of most guys' lives) in doing so; whilst any and all denial by the guy would be made on deaf ears. e.g. search for false rape allegations; and be appalled by females who are out to exploit the disgusting standards of the legal system; for their own selfish desires.

Nothing like wonderful, precise justice, right(?)

*N.B: by all accounts, genuine rapists should get jail time for the manner/actions. but i do not believe in the feminist viewpoint that all guys are rapists and all women are innocent. those idiots can **** off.

'put 100% on men' << welcome to 2015; where those that are unfortunate to have a penis; get the wrong end of the stick.

in addition, there is no mention of the fact that, some men do not rape. some are the good guys; but NOOOOOOOO; feminists see men as trash.

'I remember in the seminar that no mention of male rape was made either and the statistic the (again) female lecturer had were just for women.' < they're both feminists, go figure. just don't buy into their crap.

^^ it is because of the above reasons, that most guys have a decreasing view of women.

Without any other context, this certainly appears completely absurd.

Is this class in a traditional subject like law or history, or an ideological subject like sociology/criminology?
Reply 7
Guys should just voice record their night together and keep them in the clear (ensuring consent vis a vis the girl)

Sorry gurls, i'd rather keep my pride and not be a falsely convicted rapist for the rest of my life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theDanIdentity
yeahh; feminism still exists dude. this is the type of feminism that wanted to get rid of all the males back when it first started (research the SCUM movement); so it's understandable what they're doing. what i don't understand is third wave feminism which tries to convince me that feminists want 'equality'. surely, if they did, they wouldn't be of the ideology whos' notion is primarily focused on women; would they?

another thing, male rape does exist. i've seen witness reports, heard of disgusting accounts (this is rape in which a female rapes a guy); and so on. but, feminists wouldn't ever want to agree that it exists, as it distracts from them and their idiotic agenda.

yet another thing, don't believe those stats that they give you in the lectures, they're all false and were made up to lie to the masses. i say this because, yes, people get raped (ugly but true); however, there are some females that cry wolf; who NEVER get sentenced (or sentenced as long as they should be. i think it would be justice for all the false allegations to get the length of jail time the guys who were accused would get); for their crimes, and are thus free to destroy a mans' life from behind the scenes. in addition, most of the 'rapes' that have occured that the feminists would've loved to have incorporated, are ones in which both parties get drunk; and then the girl wakes up in the morning and realizes that the guy is butt ugly.

4) they forgot to mention that the males that are accused don't get to keep any anonymity. So if it's a case of where both male and female get drunk and have sex; in the morning the female might decide to stick the guy in jail (false claims); and would be perfectly justified (this legal system is the bane of most guys' lives) in doing so; whilst any and all denial by the guy would be made on deaf ears. e.g. search for false rape allegations; and be appalled by females who are out to exploit the disgusting standards of the legal system; for their own selfish desires.

Nothing like wonderful, precise justice, right(?)

*N.B: by all accounts, genuine rapists should get jail time for the manner/actions. but i do not believe in the feminist viewpoint that all guys are rapists and all women are innocent. those idiots can **** off.

'put 100% on men' << welcome to 2015; where those that are unfortunate to have a penis; get the wrong end of the stick.

in addition, there is no mention of the fact that, some men do not rape. some are the good guys; but NOOOOOOOO; feminists see men as trash.

'I remember in the seminar that no mention of male rape was made either and the statistic the (again) female lecturer had were just for women.' < they're both feminists, go figure. just don't buy into their crap.

^^ it is because of the above reasons, that most guys have a decreasing view of women.

Under UK Law a female cannot rape a male.

Didn't read everything else just had to get that in because it's a common mistake

Also, there are more rapists who 'go free' or don't get charged than those who do, so your whole point about women making false allegations and getting people sent to prison is pretty false. (Although it can sometimes happen, but extremely rarely)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rovey
Guys should just voice record their night together and keep them in the clear (ensuring consent vis a vis the girl)

Sorry gurls, i'd rather keep my pride and not be a falsely convicted rapist for the rest of my life.

It still wouldn't be enough. If there is any hint that the female was drunk then consent gets thrown out the windows.

I'm pretty sure the law also states that only a woman can be raped. But this is from what I have picked up on forums so no idea if its true or not (as in only a man could rape a woman and a woman can never rape a man, but a man can rape a man)
(edited 9 years ago)
i do agree that male rape should be mentioned but i also feel that men want it to be taken as seriously and given as much time when it is soso much more rare! Females at university are considerably more vulnerable in this way than men- and so obviously the emphasis should be on that. Male rape makes up a tiny percentage of rape and so is obviously going to be overlooked more..

that said, yes it should have been mentioned because obviously male rape is an important issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by aliman65
It still wouldn't be enough. If there is any hint that the female was drunk then consent gets thrown out the windows.

I'm pretty sure the law also states that only a woman can be raped. But this is from what I have picked up on forums so no idea if its true or not.

What is 'drunk' ?

I could be drunk after 2-3 beers, others more. A grey area no one seems to address.
OP, the dates of the quotes you've included are old now, things have changed, particularly in the recognition of male rape. If you do your own research, I suppose you could try and include your argument of male rape in your exam, should it be included. They also both sound like massive generalisations... just because they're quotes, it doesn't make the source reliable, or the content justified. They're quotes, you could argue them in either direction.
Reply 13

Bear in mind that quote is 40 years old and most thinking has moved on since then. It's a feminist view which is very much 'of its time'. I heard Germaine Greer speak a couple of years ago and I remember being shocked at how much of a dinosaur she was, and how out of touch her thinking and knowledge of world feminist issues had become. For the record, I'm a 51 year old woman who grew up with the expectation of being a secretary or a wife/mother, so I'm quite keen on equality.

I do beleve that rape is largely an anti-female act, but there should at least be acknowledgement and explanation of anti-male rape in related teaching. As well as occuring in civil criminal contexts, rape is a war crime which can be inflicted on any member of a population.

And yes, for the previous poster, there is currently a legal definition of rape which covers both male and female victims, although historically it was only female.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rovey
What is 'drunk' ?

I could be drunk after 2-3 beers, others more. A grey area no one seems to address.

That's why I said any hint. The law is vague about pretty much everything; it is pretty much up to the judgement of judge or jury as to whether she was too drunk and usually the evidence comes from witnesses who may or may not have a different view from what actually happened.
I think it's worth noting that the feminist quotes you gave are made by Radical Feminists who are often criticised for only focusing on women (specifically white women). If I was you, I would research other intellectuals who also talk about rape but include both genders and also try and find some statistics about male rape (a good criticism of these is often that due to society's view of masculinity, it is estimated that at most only 20% of male rape is reported). I hope your exam goes well.
Original post by hdindak
i do agree that male rape should be mentioned but i also feel that men want it to be taken as seriously and given as much time when it is soso much more rare! Females at university are considerably more vulnerable in this way than men- and so obviously the emphasis should be on that. Male rape makes up a tiny percentage of rape and so is obviously going to be looked over more..

that said, yes it should have been mentioned because obviously male rape is an important issue.

Rape is Rape in any language.

Laws about only women can be "raped" are ludicrous.

I watched this video on YouTube recently of an interview of a man who was raped by his step father over the course of 8 years from 8 to 16 years old. His story was frightening and real.

I even think that the very law which states only woman can be raped to be extremely sexist in its own right - just as much as I think the "White people cannot suffer from racism" theory to be racist.

Fact is that men tend to close up, whether it be due to rape, sexual harassment, molestation, etc ..., we don't want people to know in fear of being ridiculed.

Women on the other hand, albeit almost as hard to open up, have a larger support system.

All in all figures of convictions are APPALLING. Only a fraction of rapists are convicted, and often cases are thrown away.
Original post by GemmaConlin
I think it's worth noting that the feminist quotes you gave are made by Radical Feminists who are often criticised for only focusing on women (specifically white women). If I was you, I would research other intellectuals who also talk about rape but include both genders and also try and find some statistics about male rape (a good criticism of these is often that due to society's view of masculinity, it is estimated that at most only 20% of male rape is reported). I hope your exam goes well.

Thank you :smile:

I really don't know why the lecturer would include quotes from radicals??

I've done a bit of research to help me with the exam! thanks!
Rape is Rape in any language.

Laws about only women can be "raped" are ludicrous.

I watched this video on YouTube recently of an interview of a man who was raped by his step father over the course of 8 years from 8 to 16 years old. His story was frightening and real.

I even think that the very law which states only woman can be raped to be extremely sexist in its own right - just as much as I think the "White people cannot suffer from racism" theory to be racist.

Fact is that men tend to close up, whether it be due to rape, sexual harassment, molestation, etc ..., we don't want people to know in fear of being ridiculed.

Women on the other hand, albeit almost as hard to open up, have a larger support system.

All in all figures of convictions are APPALLING. Only a fraction of rapists are convicted, and often cases are thrown away.

yeah i didn't deny that male rape happens- and it is obviously just as bad when it does. I agree with your point about men possibly finding it harder to open up. Idk i was just suggesting why it might have been left out of the lecture
Reply 19
Why not just tattoo all male babies with 'RAPIST'.

Obviously we are all going to rape some poor defenceless woman at least once in our lives. We can't help it! We're just naturally rapey...

/s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending