The Student Room Group

Should children and people in general be taught to touch type?

What do you think? Is it necessary to teach how to touch type or should people be let to just learn it by doing?
I have seen many people doing it in the wrong way which decreases efficiency and may even harm your arms, that's what made me think about it.
Also, what ain your opinion are the best touch typing tools?
I don't think the odd class on touch-typing would go amiss in primary school. It's literally the modern equivalent of handwriting lessons. Also easily gamified.
no it's not worth teaching. Soon everything will be on tablet or phone anyway
i can touch type, but it took years of just typing, and i dont do it the correct way.

I do think children should learn to touch type. in the modern world we all use keyboards
Original post by mstechfreak
What do you think? Is it necessary to teach how to touch type or should people be let to just learn it by doing?
I have seen many people doing it in the wrong way which decreases efficiency and may even harm your arms, that's what made me think about it.
Also, what ain your opinion are the best touch typing tools?

I have recently started to learn touch type and learn with the help of "TypeMaster software " lesson by lesson .

Within very less time One can learn it . Now I can touch type at the speed of 52 WPM.
I found if one want to increase their speed of typing he should be addiced
to some website such as "Typeracer.com" where he/her get new text every time and competitor are also there.

Yes children should learn it because it will increase their efficiency during their career .

Definitely. I can touch type and it has helped me so much.

Although, they should try do it at a young age (so they can learn it faster).

People pick up bad habits by typing with two fingers or not using all their fingers.

I use every single of my fingers and type 130WPM+.

It's just muscle memory. Touch typing can become as second nature as moving the muscles in your mouth to talk.

They have handwriting lessons, so why not? The use of computers is so common in so many jobs and areas of education.

Pretty much every student will have to write up lots and lots of essays; use Google, buy stuff on eBay, use the computer in some form. When they go get a job, they may very well use it there. It will help them save time in their lives.
It's not really necessary since most will easily get by without a formal course - although basic instruction in correct hand posture, regular breaks from the display screen etc. will be far more beneficial to avoid RSI and eye strain in the longer term.

Technology changes very rapidly. A little more than 30 years ago, things like engineering drawings, building plans etc. were mostly hand drawn in pen and ink. Documents and letters were still produced on typewriters with armies of typists in typing pools who did nothing else all day. The modern computer and mouse destroyed the need for such drawing and typing skills virtually overnight.

As someone else pointed out, the user interface with computers is changing all the time: Speech recognition is evolving to the point of maturity and in the relatively near future, that too will be replaced with first, eye, and then direct thought control. The search is on for a more efficient method of recorded communication and it's only a matter of time before even keyboard skills will be made largely redundant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThatChineseBoy
Definitely. I can touch type and it has helped me so much.

Although, they should try do it at a young age (so they can learn it faster).

People pick up bad habits by typing with two fingers or not using all their fingers.

I use every single of my fingers and type 130WPM+.

It's just muscle memory. Touch typing can become as second nature as moving the muscles in your mouth to talk.

They have handwriting lessons, so why not? The use of computers is so common in so many jobs and areas of education.

Pretty much every student will have to write up lots and lots of essays; use Google, buy stuff on eBay, use the computer in some form. When they go get a job, they may very well use it there. It will help them save time in their lives.

Your speed is too fast dear

Give some suggestion how can one achieve the speed over 100 WPM and how much time it will take to reach there .
Original post by uberteknik
It's not really necessary since most will easily get by without a formal course - although basic instruction in correct hand posture, regular breaks from the display screen etc. will be far more beneficial to avoid RSI and eye strain in the longer term.

Technology changes very rapidly. A little more than 30 years ago, things like engineering drawings, building plans etc. were mostly hand drawn in pen and ink. Documents and letters were still produced on typewriters with armies of typists in typing pools who did nothing else all day. The modern computer and mouse destroyed the need for such drawing and typing skills virtually overnight.

As someone else pointed out, the user interface with computers is changing all the time: Speech recognition is evolving to the point of maturity and in the relatively near future, that too will be replaced with first, eye, and then direct thought control. The search is on for a more efficient method of recorded communication and it's only a matter of time before even keyboard skills will be made largely redundant.

Yeah but it'll be quite some time. Voice control (although not perfectly) has been implemented (Siri), but isn't reliable and I prefer typing than talking to a computer. You could argue that robots could take over all our jobs.

But, it won't be soon. Besides, learning to touch-type improves hand dexterity. You use your hands a lot. Maybe technology will improve, but you would still use your hands. Imagine a world where you don't move your hands at all - I wouldn't really like that. Hands are like your best friend.

People can't control their thoughts very well. Sometimes you "accidentally" think of wrong things. Actions are more "purposeful" - if that makes sense. I don't know how else to describe it so I used those words. For example, when you think about typing something, you could think of several other things at the same type but the act of typing is something more objective (clear).

The QWERTY keyboard is so popular that it won't change.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThatChineseBoy
Yeah but it'll be quite some time. Voice control (although not perfectly) has been implemented (Siri), but isn't reliable and I prefer typing than talking to a computer. You could argue that robots could take over all our jobs.

But, it won't be soon. Besides, learning to touch-type improves hand dexterity. You use your hands a lot. Maybe technology will improve, but you would still use your hands. Imagine a world where you don't move your hands at all - I wouldn't really like that. Hands are like your best friend.

People can't control their thoughts very well. Sometimes you "accidentally" think of wrong things. Actions are more "purposeful" - if that makes sense. I don't know how else to describe it so I used those words. For example, when you think about typing something, you could think of several other things at the same type but the act of typing is something more objective (clear).

Your argument is exactly that which people used when the computer was invented. In the 1950's, the chairman of IBM publicly stated the global demand for computers would be no greater than five or six! Then along came the semiconductor in the same decade and the rest is now history.

Training the brain to control hand muscles as with typing is no different to training the brain to operate a machine by any other method: be it through hand-eye co-ordination, voice commands or direct brain control. It's only what people have become used to and get stuck with even when more efficient methods of interface become available. I get what you are saying about preference though. For example, I hate touch screens simply because I grew up with keyboards before touch screens became widespread.

However I do think it's unwise to state machines that will remove the need to perform mundane tasks by hand are a long way off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Regardless of the career a child takes up when they leave school, a high percentage of them will use a keyboard in their daily work, and all of them are likely to use a keyboard in their leisure time. Touch-typing would help every child throughout their lives.
I don't know if I'm missing something here but surely these days kids will learn how to touch type without any lessons? I can touch type pretty damn well and that's only through experience, not lessons. If I can learn through exp then the new generation certainly will be able to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I don't know if I'm missing something here but surely these days kids will learn how to touch type without any lessons? I can touch type pretty damn well and that's only through experience, not lessons. If I can learn through exp then the new generation certainly will be able to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, my 13 year old can touch type and hasn't been taught

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I like how this topic is going on and how different the opinions are! My sister's little toddler is having these touch typing classes and they are using TypingStudy, I am not sure if it's the best one, but the results are really impressive for the boy! And he is using all the fingers, not like most of us - 2-4 fingers :biggrin:
Should they? Well, I guess having the option is helpful. It's hard to tell if touch typing is here to stay... I'm currently using the Google handwriting input and I quite enjoy it! Who knows what's next? Maybe we'll be typing with our eyes with eye detecting hardware. Maybe our devices will read our minds! Hey, you never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending