The Student Room Group

No job since graduation with a 1:1 in Economics!!! help!!

Hi guys,

I graduated from a the University of Surrey with a first class in busness economics coming top of my class. I have struggled to get any internship, work experience or graduate position since I have left. I have applied for over 50 roles and only gained one run of interviews for a firm up until a final round interview in which I was not successful. Does anyone have any advice to my next route. (I also did 2 weeks experience at Santander G10 FX if this helps)

So far I have no hope in even getting into the industry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poch123
Hi guys,

I graduated from a the University of Surrey with a first class in busness economics coming top of my class. I have struggled to get any internship, work experience or graduate position since I have left. I have applied for over 50 roles and only gained one run of interviews for a firm up until a final round interview in which I was not successful. Does anyone have any advice to my next route. (I also did 2 weeks experience at Santander G10 FX if this helps)

So far I have no hope in even getting into the industry!!

You need to fix your CV, grab some informal experience and start networking your ass off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
You need to fix your CV, grab some informal experience and start networking your ass off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel my CV is decent, but I can't be sure. How do you even start to network when you know no-one in the industry?
Reply 3
I'd apply to a target uni for econ and then just use campus recruiting, much easier to get a job out of a target.
Well... how long has it been since graduation?
Reply 5
Original post by hellodave5
Well... how long has it been since graduation?

July 2014
Reply 6
apply to seo/rare

have you applied to pwc? and do you pass numericals?
Original post by poch123
I feel my CV is decent, but I can't be sure. How do you even start to network when you know no-one in the industry?

I'd be happy to run through it.

You go to conferences, cold-call, do whatever it takes.
what have you been doing since graduation (not meaning to sound bad)
Reply 9
Original post by loknath
apply to seo/rare

have you applied to pwc? and do you pass numericals?

I applied to PWC for corporate finance, passed the numericals but that sector of the industry is very competitive so I didn't get a place at the assessment centre. Does anyone have any experience of SEO/ RARE?
Original post by Bill_Gates

I'm guessing OP has been applying for jobs, derp derpppp.
Reply 11
Original post by Bill_Gates

I managed to gain 2 weeks experience at Santander G10 FX, and the rest of the time I have been looking for a job
Original post by poch123
July 2014

If you want you can send me your CV and I'll tell you what I think any problems could be. Not that I know anything of the area, but there may be something that doesn't sit right generally with employers.

It could also be that you're aiming too high as a recent graduate.
Original post by hellodave5
If you want you can send me your CV and I'll tell you what I think any problems could be. Not that I know anything of the area, but there may be something that doesn't sit right generally with employers.

It could also be that you're aiming too high as a recent graduate.

This is very true, I'd imagine a lot of jobs in this field would ask for experience, which you don't have (I'm in the same sort of boat at the moment).

Could you post at least some bits of your CV for us to look at. It's really hard to get it right unless you get a few other people's opinions.
Original post by King Leonidas
I'm guessing OP has been applying for jobs, derp derpppp.

derp derp!!
Reply 15
Thats pretty much my CV.

I also relasie my A levels are not strong
Reply 16
Original post by poch123

if your Cv was good, you woulndnt have only got 1 interview out of 50 applications.
Reply 17
Original post by MAINE.
if your Cv was good, you woulndnt have only got 1 interview out of 50 applications.

Hah I meant in terms of layout and maximising my skills so far. My main downfall in work experience which I lack
I'm not an expert, but I think the "best student" part just sounds so cocky. If you really need to put it in there, could you phrase it a bit more objectively (highest scoring/highest attainment in the class, or similar)?
Reply 19
Original post by Kayleighw27
I'm not an expert, but I think the "best student" part just sounds so cocky. If you really need to put it in there, could you phrase it a bit more objectively (highest scoring/highest attainment in the class, or similar)?

I see your point, the achievement is specified as 'Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6' on my certificate though :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending