The Student Room Group

No job since graduation with a 1:1 in Economics!!! help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by poch123
I applied to PWC for corporate finance, passed the numericals but that sector of the industry is very competitive so I didn't get a place at the assessment centre. Does anyone have any experience of SEO/ RARE?

Personally I found pwc quite easy. If you really want a job then maybe apply for something like audit or Tax?
And if you got BBBBm, you cant apply to most places so thats why you probably get rejected (no offence). You might have to try SME's like small accountancy firms, insurance firms..insurance is a sector in itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your CV isn't that strong, which could be the reason. However, well done on your degree!

"Best student in 3rd year on course" - that's all well and good, but how were you? What did you do to become the best in third year? Do you mean purely grades or something else...

Plus underlining it as "summary" isn't the best title -a summary usually come at the end, even if you're summing up at the beginning.

Personal statement is weak. Too much "I am this I am that." You have to be hard-hitting and concise. You need to provide evidence of how you are this and that. You need to work on marketing yourself in this part.

For your past work, it's good to say what you did but also what you learnt from it. What did it enable you to do that you couldn't do before, or lacked before. "I was introduced to the various functions of investment banking by sitting with different employees on the trading floor." < it's just not strong enough. One word sticks out and defines the sentence poorly - sitting. That's maybe what you did but it does not need to be said.

This is a lot stronger, so well done:

Good luck! Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Kayleighw27
I'm not an expert, but I think the "best student" part just sounds so cocky. If you really need to put it in there, could you phrase it a bit more objectively (highest scoring/highest attainment in the class, or similar)?

Yes. Phrase it so that it sounds more appealing to those who have been working for ages.

But I don't really think it sounds cocky - just the phrasing of it doesn't sound that "umph!"
Original post by poch123
I see your point, the achievement is specified as 'Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6' on my certificate though :/

I know it seems a bit unfair (I'm actually the top scoring student in my class at the moment so I know how it feels) but remember employers won't spend much time looking through your CV and little things like that will be enough to throw them off. It's a very respectable achievement, you just might be doing yourself some favours to phrase it more unambiguously. Does it actually say that on your degree certificate? I'm sure you can show them at interview and they will be very impressed :smile:

Also a couple of little things - your first bullet point doesn't make sense. It should be BSc (Hons) *insert subject* graduate or something like that, also get rid of the "I'm" in your personal statement, you should write very formally in your C.V.
Reply 24
Original post by NeverTooLatte

For your past work, it's good to say what you did but also what you learnt from it. What did it enable you to do that you couldn't do before, or lacked before. "I was introduced to the various functions of investment banking by sitting with different employees on the trading floor." < it's just not strong enough. One word sticks out and defines the sentence poorly - sitting. That's maybe what you did but it does not need to be said.

That paragraph made me laugh but also was really truthful so thank you for that!!
Reply 25
Original post by NeverTooLatte

This is a lot stronger, so well done:
DB Schenker Limited (July-August 2013)
I undertook 6 weeks of working as an Accounts Assistant which involved an introduction into Procars, Basware and SAP. Within the team I worked on cost predictions, reserves, and expenses. The experience allowed me to understand the financial role of business during a time where both internal and external auditors were present. < you stated what you did, what you gained and what you learned.

Correct.

Also OP, those are the things you need to highlight earlier on.

Original post by poch123
x

I don't know how your CV looks like OP but if you included the PS on the CV, ditch it.

Put the modules you took and the A-Levels you did somewhere else on your CV; they are not important.

Don't use the word "Hobbies" - this sounds too school-ish. Just put "Professional Interests"
Reply 26
Original post by Kayleighw27
I know it seems a bit unfair (I'm actually the top scoring student in my class at the moment so I know how it feels) but remember employers won't spend much time looking through your CV and little things like that will be enough to throw them off. It's a very respectable achievement, you just might be doing yourself some favours to phrase it more unambiguously. Does it actually say that on your degree certificate? I'm sure you can show them at interview and they will be very impressed :smile:

Also a couple of little things - your first bullet point doesn't make sense. It should be BSc (Hons) *insert subject* graduate or something like that, also get rid of the "I'm" in your personal statement, you should write very formally in your C.V.

Yeah I got a separate framed certificate with it on and they gave me a grand (woop.) I ammended the first line as you said, and that 'I'm' is quite distasteful.
Original post by poch123
I see your point, the achievement is specified as 'Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6' on my certificate though :/

I wouldn't include (76%) in brackets. Delete that because in my opinion 76% isn't high, but just leaving first class honors alone sounds much better.
Original post by poch123
That paragraph made me laugh but also was really truthful so thank you for that!!

NeverTooLatte has pretty much got it summed up. Try and apply the same style/format you've used for the work experience paragraph to the rest of it (using examples, going into some relevant detail rather than just vague, wishy washy drivel they'll have heard 1000 times already :P). Definitely get rid of the summary as well. Also do you need to add the 76%? Mine's more like 94 at the moment and I'd still be reluctant to add this on. If they want to know, they'll ask. Many very capable graduates "only" have a 2.1, a first speaks for itself.

But your degree is very strong, and that's something you can't do much about now. You can do everything about your C.V., you should be fine :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poch123
Yeah I got a separate framed certificate with it on and they gave me a grand (woop.) I ammended the first line as you said, and that 'I'm' is quite distasteful.

Change the wording of Best student in 3rd year on course from the summary and state it more professionally, such as "highest achieving student ...".

Also I would remove the part about sitting with people on the trade floor, and say working with people. The way it is written makes it sound like you just sat around all day, and even if that is all you did, you don't have to word it like that on your resume.
Reply 30
Just got an email from Deloitte saying they have audit opportunities in Leeds and reading..
Original post by poch123
Summary

Graduate in BSc Business Economics degree;

Best student in 3rd year on course;

Professional experience within banking and finance;

Personal Statement
I am a reliable and enthusiastic graduate possessing good analytical skills with the ability to solve challenging problems. I’m able to quickly assimilate and interpret data to reach useful understandings and conclusions.
I am organized, punctual and conscientious and have demonstrated an ability to work well under pressure as part of a team or individually.
I have experience of working in a number of organisations, primarily to help pay my way through University. These roles have enabled me to develop non-academic skills required in the workplace.

Education [personal details removed] University, Year Graduated, Business & Economics Bsc
Overall Grade: 1st Class Honours

Modules include: [modules]

Awards: Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6.

School Education
A levels: Economics B Geography B
Mathematics B General Studies B

Relevant Work Experience

[personal details removed] Bank, London (year)
Details of work experience/role

[personal details removed] Company name (year)

Other Experience

(year, company)

(year, company)

Hobbies and Interests

Keeping up to date in economic and political current affairs in the UK and globally

I played for local football clubs for 10 years and was a member of Surrey University Football Club

Okay, this is just my opinion - some other people might have other views/different things to add but your CV isn't grabbing my attention like that.

First off, I don't think it's common these days to have a 'personal statement' section. It looks clunky and heavy. I remember being taught to write one in school - but in my adult life (post uni) I don't include that at all. When you apply for roles, you usually include a cover letter - that is your opportunity to write at greater length because they're requesting it in that instance. They are not requesting paragraphs in a CV - they need to read it quickly.

You need to present the information sharply and succinctly. You say in your summary that you've had jobs to help you through uni - don't just say that, get rid of that whole summary and list those jobs, then underneath each job list your duties. That shows clearly what your experience is and it's much easier for a recruiter to read. Remember they look at tons of CVs - it needs to be snappy and quick to read. Ditch paragraphs.

You also need to keep your tenses the same. You either stick with past or present tense throughout - do not switch. You switch from 'worked' to 'working' regarding your 'relevant work experience'. I would also ditch 'I' throughout.

So here's my take (edits in red, I realize you may have left certain parts out to protect your identity, I'm just including them to make it read better):
[QUOTE="poch123;55311007"]Summary

YOUR NAME
YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
YOUR CONTACT NUMBER

Education:
NAME OF UNIVERSITY (YEARS-ATTENDED)

Graduate in BSc (Hons) Business Economics, 1st Class degree;

(BULLET POINTS FOR DEGREE RELATED EXPEREINCE)

-Best student in 3rd year on course; (WORD THIS DIFFERENTLY E.G. ''Highest overall 3rd year grade in my cohort'' or something to that effect)

- Professional experience within banking and finance; (SPECIFY COMPANY NAME)

Personal Statement
I am a reliable and enthusiastic graduate possessing good analytical skills with the ability to solve challenging problems. I’m able to quickly assimilate and interpret data to reach useful understandings and conclusions.
I am organized, punctual and conscientious and have demonstrated an ability to work well under pressure as part of a team or individually.
I have experience of working in a number of organisations, primarily to help pay my way through University. These roles have enabled me to develop non-academic skills required in the workplace. GED RID. TOO CLUNKY.

[[Education University ( Graduated 2014), Business Economics BSc
Overall Grade: 1st Class Honours (76%)

Modules include: [modules]

Awards: Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6.

School Education
A levels: Economics B Geography B
Mathematics B General Studies B]] RE-WORK THIS INTO THE SECTION ABOVE. (Module details are irrelevant unless you have been asked to specify. You can discuss detail such as this at interview if it comes up. Not useful here.

Relevant Work Experience

Company, location (month/year) PUT DATES FIRST, COMPANY NAME AFTER
Company, location (month/year)

Other Experience I would just list chronologically - they can decide what's 'relevant' and other - there are transferable skills here.

Comapny/dates

Comapny/dates

Hobbies and Interests Again, you're taught to include this at school but really it's not useful. Waste of valuable space. You talk about this at interview. Sometimes on application forms you are asked this - reply then but don't include on CV.

Keeping up to date in economic and political current affairs in the UK and globally

Football club INCLUDE THIS IN YOUR EXPERIENCE BULLET POINTS UNDERNEATH YOUR DEGREE

This is how I would do it:

NAME
PHONE

Education
2011-2014 University name , Business Economics BSc (Hons) 1st Class (76%)
Best overall student in the programme at FHEQ level 6
Member of Surrey University Football Club
Took part in XYZ societies
Developed XYZ skills

(Dates YEAR-YEAR) School/College Name

A levels:
Economics (B)
Geography (B)
Mathematics (B)
General Studies (B)

X amount of GCSEs GRADE A-C inlcluding English (GRADE) and Mathematics (GRADE)

Work Experience

Dates Company Role
What you do
What skills you use
What skills you've acquired
What things you've learned

Dates Company, Work Experience
WHAT YOU DID
WHAT YOU LEARNT FROM WHAT YOU DID
WHAT SKILLS YOU DEVELOPED FROM THIS EXPERIENCE

WHAT YOU DID

WHAT YOU DID

Then get a good template for a clear layout.

Your CV is your opportunity to list your skills and show what you have learnt. Don't just list a job and say nothing about it - tell the prospective employer what skills you developed, what challenges you overcame, when you worked independently, when you completed something as a team. Keep it snappy - bullet point the lessons you learnt/the duties you had. You have a lot of opportunities within your CV to shine and you are not using those opportunities - talk more about what skills you have developed in your work experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poch123
Summary

Your A-Levels are one reason you will be getting rejected from formal grad schemes, if thats where you have applied. It doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the majority of places, and most will automatically reject you if you do not have exceptional circumstances for this. Especially in terms of IB and Consulting.

As well as this, you don't seem to have any extra-curriculars for things you did when you were at University? Aside from playing for the football team. Did you have a committee role when you were in the society? Did you do any peer mentoring on your course? Any student ambassadorial roles?

I would also ditch the personal statement bit, but that's just me.
Definitely get rid of the personal statement. I don't know one person who has that on their CV. As mentioned, it's too clunky, too generic and everyone writes the same thing - it's completely pointless. Your A Levels could be problematic for a lot of schemes. However, you're probably best off applying for internships and/or doing a Masters. It will probably yield better results. Your CV just isn't strong enough in terms of relevant work experience for graduate roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Get rid of the summary, you should have put that information in any cover letter. I have a personal statement myself but i've been told it makes little difference. No need to specify Alevels (unless the application specifies a subject), just put 4 at B and above.
(edited 8 years ago)
This probably isn't helpful as it's been said before, but network network network! You're more likely to find a job through someone you know than sending in a CV against 800 other applicants.... Good luck!
Hey everyone,

I'd strongly recommend not to post up personal information such as CVs on TSR as it's a public site and anyone can access it. We remove personal content from TSR when we find it/it's reported.

The feedback in the thread about the CV is really good and useful, so I've done my best to edit out the personal details/identifying information whilst leaving as much info there as possible :h:

Good luck in your job hunt OP :h:

Cheers,

Puddles
Grades don't really mean much when you're competing against others with work experience. (and yeah, anything less than a few months of work experience doesn't do much.)

Now you do have great grades and you did graduate from a top 10 university that has a strong reputation so those are in your favour. I would make sure you are researching each of your potential employers carefully and tailoring your CV to the personality of the business for each one. I would also make sure you ask lots of questions in the interview so you sound interested.

See what your coursemates are doing now. If where they work has a position going, they may be able to put in a good word for you.

Also try going for a PhD? With PhDs grades actually do have influence, so you should be able to get one. That should lead you right into a job.
Reply 38
I went through SEO London - but they are not much of a help for PWC and Deloitte as much as they help for EY - where you skip the first part of the application process - although for PWC / Deloitte they help you with notes and what they believe will come up and practice mock assessment centres and telephone interviews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending