The Student Room Group

What are your views on personalised number-plates?

I just want to see what other people think about having a personalised number-plate. Is there any point in them?

Scroll to see replies

They impress idiots - that could be an advantage to some people I suppose
If I had the money I wouldn't get one. They make you look like a massive bell end.
I have one. Only cost £600 and lasts forever, so why not?
a "personalised" one makes you look a prat.

a mate has one that relates to his car model, so it is cooler but I still don't like it.

However, it hides the age of his car, and many coach companies and undertakers do this as a 10 year old vehicle with non age related plate can appear to be newer/better/posher
All the cars in my households have personalised number plates, apart from mine because I'm sill deciding whether to get it or not. Cost £250 for the ones we bought already. Don't see much wrong with them tbh, it's a personal choice really. :dontknow:
as long as it has not been achieved by strategically placed bolts etc...

the classic is PEN 15 but i understand that was withdrawn :giggle:
I have one - well it's not personalised, it's just a private plate, hides the age of my car and lasts forever.
All cars have a personalized number since no 2 vehicles share the same combination of numbers.

Vanity plates on the other hand are plain stupid but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Vanity plates are tacky.
I used to hate them, but the fact that it hides the age of a car is a plus I guess.

Kind of like de-badging your car, if you are into that sort of thing.
I am not bothered with them, if people want personalised plates then nothing wrong with it, I find it funny with the ones which spell rude words etc they are the better ones
When people have ones with crass words on them, i.e. rude words, football teams etc, it's tacky. But I would definitely get one (or a few, depending on how many vehicles I owned) with a few letters and a couple of numbers.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
If I had the money I wouldn't get one. They make you look like a massive bell end.

Why? If I had the money to buy one i would. Personal preferance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A way of raising a bit of money for the government.
What exactly signifies stupidity in people that get personalised number plates? All I sense is jealousy, if they have the money to do so then so what?
Yeah I would get one, they can be good if you have the right thing on them
Interestingly enough, most vehicles that have vanity plates are Range Rovers I have noticed, at least around my area.
In my area if your number plate is personalised, you are basically cementing yourself in playing the role of resident knob head...
Original post by Protoxylic
Interestingly enough, most vehicles that have vanity plates are Range Rovers I have noticed, at least around my area.

The owners of Range Rovers tend to have more money lying around, and can therefore spend it on purchasing vanity plates.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending