The Student Room Group

Q7. Why are the Green Party opposed to nuclear power?

TSR interviewed leader of the Green Party, Natalie Bennett, to ask the questions the community submitted.

Watch Natalie's answer to
'Why are the Green Party opposed to nuclear power?'

[video="youtube;SMBtK2cD0FE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMBtK2cD0FE&feature=yout u.be[/video]
Reply 1
This is something that really bothers me too, I'm not going to deny that nuclear fission plants, waste etc are bad for the planet, but the fact is it is a very efficient means of acquiring energy. Also it is better short term until we actually deal with CO2 problems from coal and gas power stations and properly develop nuclear fusion reactors, like ITER.
I just have a problem with the whole way the greens want to implement there ideals, they should actually learn some simple science.
And one thing all parties should work on the efficiency of energy production because so much is wasted along the line.
^agreed with Gott. Green party's policies are ludicrous.
I can't believe her argument against nuclear is saying that renewables are a more practical solution. Deluded
Obviously renewable are a better option but nuclear shouldn't simply be dismissed. It's a proven technology just like green energy but it is incredibly efficient. No CO2, the waste is a problem but the manufacturing of green energy sources is hardly clean either. It's a step away from fossil fuels that needs to be made and can act as the intermediary between ff and renewables as we change our energy mix
Plus nuclear fusion is very close to becoming a reality, so no waste products which cause atmospheric damage.
Original post by Mactotaur
Plus nuclear fusion is very close to becoming a reality, so no waste products which cause atmospheric damage.

Nuclear fusion always seems to be perpetually twenty years away. Best to act on what we have now rather than waiting for something that may not ever work.
Original post by leemer
Nuclear fusion always seems to be perpetually twenty years away. Best to act on what we have now rather than waiting for something that may not ever work.

Nuclear fusion can work... If we fund it then it would be much better than dithering about with emissions etc. because there won't be!
Original post by Torum
This is something that really bothers me too, I'm not going to deny that nuclear fission plants, waste etc are bad for the planet, but the fact is it is a very efficient means of acquiring energy. Also it is better short term until we actually deal with CO2 problems from coal and gas power stations and properly develop nuclear fusion reactors, like ITER.
I just have a problem with the whole way the greens want to implement there ideals, they should actually learn some simple science.
And one thing all parties should work on the efficiency of energy production because so much is wasted along the line.

Went to a talk from the lead director of ITER and he said they were fairly confident of achieving sustained fusion by 2018, with it being commercially viable by 2025, fusion is the future.
Original post by leemer
Obviously renewable are a better option but nuclear shouldn't simply be dismissed. It's a proven technology just like green energy but it is incredibly efficient. No CO2, the waste is a problem but the manufacturing of green energy sources is hardly clean either. It's a step away from fossil fuels that needs to be made and can act as the intermediary between ff and renewables as we change our energy mix

Just shoot the waste into the sun, once spaceX is up and running we will have a very efficient and reliable waste disposal system
Original post by aliman65
^agreed with Gott. Green party's policies are ludicrous.

Just as well we'll never have to find out. :smile:
Reply 11
I doubt the elites would want fusion that would mean less control for them? And no artificial scarcity can be created.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending