The Student Room Group

How much wealth do I need to not be relatively poor in the UK?

How much wealth would I need to be no longer poor, say in the bottom 15% of UK citizens?

Would I be poor (as defined above) if I only had 60k in the bank?

Also how much in the bank would I need to reach median wealth?

And finally how much would I need to be rich? (say top 15%)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
How much wealth would I need to be no longer poor, say in the bottom 15% of UK citizens?

I think you will find that the vast majority of the population, for a myriad of reasons, don't have anywhere near 60k in the bank.

Also wealth can be measured in many different ways. The most common is net worth (total assets minus total liabilities), but I think salary can be more significant than savings. If someone had scrimped and saved to have 5k or 10k in the bank but lived in a council flat and ate spaghetti hoops for dinner, I wouldn't consider them more wealthy than someone with a 6 or 7 or more figure salary who didn't save anything because they spent their income on a house or cars or other possessions.
if your kitchen quotient 2 then you should be fine
The average in London stands at £26,000 per year I believe.

Anything under that is considered lower than average.
Reply 5
Original post by Thomson2013
The average in London stands at £26,000 per year I believe.

Anything under that is considered lower than average.

That's income. Not wealth.
Reply 6
Original post by Doctor_Einstein

No. That's put you in the top half of UK citizens.

Top 15% would be more like £200k.
Original post by Quady
That's income. Not wealth.

Misread my bad.
Poverty in the UK is defined as earning less than 60% median household income (for your household type, including all benefits and transfers). To take a representative household, the poverty line is around£14,000 per annul in the UK in 2015.
Reply 9
Hurray im wealthy,,but wait,, i dont feel wealthy..whats wrong ?
Probably you mean income instead of wealth. If this is the case, under the UK Government standards, you're poor if your income falls below 60 percent of median income for the whole UK,i.e. approximately £265 per week for a household. This threshold will be somehow higher in London and South East and lower in other regions (as in Northern Ireland).

I have assumed you meant income since wealth without income will not help you much, or at all.
I'm sure he meant wealth as he said wealth.
Original post by kimberlybaskett

I have assumed you meant income since wealth without income will not help you much, or at all.

I think you will find that wealth normally generates unearned income in the form of interest and dividends.
Original post by Good bloke
I think you will find that wealth normally generates unearned income in the form of interest and dividends.

In my answer I said "wealth without income" to highlight that your means will always come from income, not from wealth. In your example, you get income from your wealth and then it's ok, but there may be other examples of wealth without income or with very low revenues (you inherited a palace, under a condition not to lease it or dispose of it. You then may be wealthy but with a lot of expenses and no income). That's what I meant, the key point is income from whatever source derived
It takes intelligence to turn wealth into quality of life too though. There are plenty of pensioners out there sitting on half-a-million pound homes bought and paid for, but complain they don't have enough cash to pay for heating.
There will shortly be no 'top 15%'. If the LibLabCon have their way there will only be a top 1 % of which Cameron, Clegg and Miliband will belong. The other 99% will be poor.
Reply 16
Original post by kimberlybaskett
Probably you mean income instead of wealth. If this is the case, under the UK Government standards, you're poor if your income falls below 60 percent of median income for the whole UK,i.e. approximately £265 per week for a household. This threshold will be somehow higher in London and South East and lower in other regions (as in Northern Ireland).

This doesnt take benefit income into account, a family earning £265/week will be getting around £15k in tax free benefits and have an equivalent gross salary around £30-40k (depending on how many kids they have)

Basically, not being poor in the UK is mainly about having children - once you have them, you will get a huge amount of government money from child tax credit, housing benefit, and priority social housing. Poverty is only really something that affects students, young people without children, and single/divorced men.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did my dissertation on this was, SO many pages long so really hard to give a brief over view but many factors at work and it's a moving target. Especially with the changing demographics of the UK.

What i can say is "being average" is not really that great we have a small proportion of extremely wealthy individuals and an even larger proportion of extremely less well off. The rich tend to have much more diversified investments than the middle or the poor and hence up's and down's in the economy will affect all in varied proportions.

Briefly Top 10% depending on what you class as assets > 700k to 2.7m+
Bottom 10% > Have roughly less than 7k-11k total assets depending on the part of the country you look at, if taking into consideration debt.

Median wealth? money in the bank is not really a big issue even in some of the most prosperous parts of the country they have around 20k-30k accessible in the bank on average

Thanks

Bill.
Your average person still owns a home and average wages are between 20-30k so about £200k. That being said there's a cliff around the 40% percentile mark where people don't own homes but will have savings.
Original post by nexttime
It takes intelligence to turn wealth into quality of life too though. There are plenty of pensioners out there sitting on half-a-million pound homes bought and paid for, but complain they don't have enough cash to pay for heating.

great point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending