The Student Room Group

Very bad ingrown hair!?

About 2 weeks ago, I shaved and the next day I got a really itchy face with these little bumps starting to form. The day after the itchiness went away however the bumps were ten times worse!! I didn't want to leave the house as it looked awful but I made myself go to the doctor in case it was herpes - luckily they said I'm STD free. The day after it started to fade. I presumed it was ingrown hairs so I looked up ways of treating it and it helped.

Anyway a week later I shaved again and I was aware that it could possibly come back so I was extra careful. I used a new razor, plenty of shaving foam, hot water to soften the hairs, didn't press too hard, went with the direction of hairs etc. Next day I got the same thing (itchiness but you could only just see them), then the day after the same thing (less itchiness but they looked so much worse), day after they started to fade.

Basically they are these bumps around my chin on both sides where I shave. They stick out a bit like a bump. They are white and pussy too. I shave quite a lot so I think this may be the cause (I look awful with facial hair).

What are they and advice for treating them? I don't want to leave the house to go to the doctor.

Guys I think it could be folliculitis? Does this sound like it? I'll try and get a photo of what my hairs look like
(edited 8 years ago)
bump
I just use an electric adjustable shaver and keep a stubble. Way more healthy for your skin lol.

btw you should probably just take a break from shaving for a while and let your skin recover. that will probably help. Or just shave less in general if you're doing it every day. just do it once every few days instead.
I admit my advice may not be the most useful, given a) I don't shave my face and b) it's probably completely wrong, but hey, it's what I do. I tend to pick where the hair is ingrown, get all the nasty out of it, then use a pair of tweezers to pull out the ingrown hair (this can be pretty painful, I imagine - I'm a trichotillomaniac so I'm rather used to it myself!) I tend to find that, for me, it helps it heal up much faster; I use a honey shower gel as well, which is a good antiseptic (works as body wash, shampoo, antiseptic and facial cleanser all in one!) over the top, which is the other thing that makes a difference once the hair is out. Though, as I said, not sure if it's the right way to go about things, especially on your face rather than somewhere more hidden!
Original post by ChickenMadness
I just use an electric adjustable shaver and keep a stubble. Way more healthy for your skin lol.

btw you should probably just take a break from shaving for a while and let your skin recover. that will probably help. Or just shave less in general if you're doing it every day. just do it once every few days instead.

I don't own one but maybe I should. I use a manual razor (Wilkinson Hydro 5).

Yeah the first time I got it I went a week without shaving then when I shaved afterwards I got it again, so I'm going to try 2 weeks without shaving. 1 week and I have a horrible looking beard starting to form and 2 weeks it looks disgusting but I'm just going to have to do it as its better than having these horrible ingrown hairs.

Is there anything I can do to make the ingrown hairs less likely to come back next time I shave?
Original post by clonedmemories
I admit my advice may not be the most useful, given a) I don't shave my face and b) it's probably completely wrong, but hey, it's what I do. I tend to pick where the hair is ingrown, get all the nasty out of it, then use a pair of tweezers to pull out the ingrown hair (this can be pretty painful, I imagine - I'm a trichotillomaniac so I'm rather used to it myself!) I tend to find that, for me, it helps it heal up much faster; I use a honey shower gel as well, which is a good antiseptic (works as body wash, shampoo, antiseptic and facial cleanser all in one!) over the top, which is the other thing that makes a difference once the hair is out. Though, as I said, not sure if it's the right way to go about things, especially on your face rather than somewhere more hidden!

I'm avoiding shaving for a while and i've read not to pick it with your hands since they have a lot of bacteria on them and can irritate te skin. I've read you can use tweezers but I don't own any. Can the ingrown hair go back to normal without tweezers?
Original post by dylantombides
I don't own one but maybe I should. I use a manual razor (Wilkinson Hydro 5).

Yeah the first time I got it I went a week without shaving then when I shaved afterwards I got it again, so I'm going to try 2 weeks without shaving. 1 week and I have a horrible looking beard starting to form and 2 weeks it looks disgusting but I'm just going to have to do it as its better than having these horrible ingrown hairs.

Is there anything I can do to make the ingrown hairs less likely to come back next time I shave?

Exfoliate and moisturise after shaving

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Exfoliate and moisturise after shaving

I thought I should exfoliate before shaving? Not after
I thought I should exfoliate before shaving? Not after

You can do both if you want, but as a female doing my legs i exfoliate after to bring up the ingrown hairs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had a similar problem for years.

It only went away when I switched from a regular razor to a stubble shaver, which doesn't cut as close to the skin as a regular razor does.
Original post by Mark8346

It only went away when I switched from a regular razor to a stubble shaver, which doesn't cut as close to the skin as a regular razor does.

I've never had a problem in all my time in shaving until the last 2 times (and I've been shaving for about 6 years now - fairly regularly). Do you think it is calling for me to try out a new razor?
Well I don't shave my face but I do shave other parts and sometimes have this problem.
Every time I get an ingrown hair or two I squeeze it. Sounds kind of gross but youll notice that the hair gets pushed upwards and the part of the hair which was under the skin is now on top. Use a tweezer (or your fingers if the hair is long enough) to pull it out and it should take the root with it. It will be much easier to pull out too especially after squeezing. (squeezing works best if it has been raised from the skin and/or is pussy)
Original post by Mark8346

What's the name of your stubble razor called?
I've never had a problem in all my time in shaving until the last 2 times (and I've been shaving for about 6 years now - fairly regularly). Do you think it is calling for me to try out a new razor?

Hormones perhaps? Bad diet, do you smoke? change your bed sheets regularly?

You should exfoliate and wash your face two times a day. Just after you've woken up and just before you go to bed.

I don't have it to an extent where there's puss. If that's the case, then you're getting infections. Ingrown hairs are hairs that grow out, then back into the skin. If it's infected, then you need to make sure that you are changing your blade once a week, and that you are washing/using shaving cream that suits your style of skin. If your skin is sensitive, try sensitive shaving cream.

Since I've been using that old-style brush thing to put my shaving gel on, my ingrown hairs have decreased. I think it's because the pri-c-ks on the brush help bring up the hairs when I put the cream on.

After I shave, I always use tee-tree oil, just a dab on the really bad areas, then I use antiseptic cream all over my shaved chin/sides. This helps with it too.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What's the name of your stubble razor called?

I ended up getting "BaByliss for Men Super Stubble" from amazon because I liked that you could adjust the length (so you can just set it to be longer if the setting you use is too short and causes ingrowing)
Guys I think it could be folliculitis? Does this sound like it? I'll try and get a photo of what my hairs look like

Quick Reply

Latest