The Student Room Group

AS retakes

I am doing my AS this year, but think I may need to retake one or two individual exams next year to make sure I am getting high enough to get good grades overall in my A2s (90% in at least 2 subjects so I can hopefully get 2A*).
If I were to resit AS modules along with taking my A2s, and not apply to university for entry next year, but instead apply for 2017 entry after I get my overall results (I am planning to take a gap year), will universities know that I have retaken AS modules? If so, how negatively will it affect me for entry into top 5, 10, and top 20 universities?
Original post by LaurieHarris
I am doing my AS this year, but think I may need to retake one or two individual exams next year to make sure I am getting high enough to get good grades overall in my A2s (90% in at least 2 subjects so I can hopefully get 2A*).
If I were to resit AS modules along with taking my A2s, and not apply to university for entry next year, but instead apply for 2017 entry after I get my overall results (I am planning to take a gap year), will universities know that I have retaken AS modules? If so, how negatively will it affect me for entry into top 5, 10, and top 20 universities?

With regards to declaring your grades, you would need to declare your AS grades and any resits, even if you had full A2s. See this thread for more info: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

Realistically, having to retake AS modules makes you a less strong candidate than someone with the same grades who didn't have to retake. If you are applying to top courses, where everyone has stellar grades, you may miss out on a place due to this.

That said, having A*A*A in the bag would put you in a stronger position than just having A* predictions in the minds of most admissions tutors.

I think, if you are going to take a gap year anyway, this will put you in a slightly stronger position when you come to apply- but if you're only considering a gap year for this reason, it's probably not worth doing.

That said, all but the most competitive courses (so top 5 and popular/competitive courses at the top 10 for that subject), A*A*A, even with retakes, should be more than good enough to gain you a place, assuming the rest of your application is up to scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending