The Student Room Group

CPU upgrade query.

I have recently bought a Toshiba satellite C50D-A-12V and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the CPU on it s I think it's currently 1.8Ghz and it's annoyingly slow.

A Google search returned nothing.

All the other specs are fine: 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive
Original post by joecoulburn
I have recently bought a Toshiba satellite C50D-A-12V and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the CPU on it s I think it's currently 1.8Ghz and it's annoyingly slow.

A Google search returned nothing.

All the other specs are fine: 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive

As a general rule no, laptop processors are not user replaceable. Unlike in desktops which all adhere to the same standards and use socketed CPUs, laptop product liness are almost entirely proprietary and solder the processors straight onto the motherboards for reasons like space saving.

If you're finding it too slow, hopefully "recently" means you have enough time to take it back.
Reply 2
Cheers for the reply. Yeah, it got delivered today so I can still take it back.
This is somewhat incorrect.

Some laptop processors use the common BGA package, which means its soldered to the main board. However, many laptops do contain PGA package processors, which are socketed, and user-replaceable (assuming you are capable of dismantling stuff). PGA is becoming more rare, with the move to Skylake, laptop CPU's will be BGA only.

Regardless, to a typical-end user, CPU replacement is far from a breeze, so OP will be best off swapping it for another PC if the current processor is too slow for their needs.

Quick Reply

Latest