The Student Room Group

Advice pls! Liverpool vs Warwick

Hi everyone

When you can't figure something out for yourself, where do you go next? The Student Room of course :smile:

I understand that my university choices are totally up to me, but was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my current situation. I do not have long left to make my choices (by 6 May).

My results last year were BCCU (dropped the U), and I am aiming to turn these into ABB grades. However I am stuck between:

Law LLB - University of Liverpool - 3 years - ABB

or

Law and Business BA - University of Warwick - 3 or 4 years - AAB (4 years to turn the degree into a qualifying law degree)

The grades for Warwick are steep and I want to avoid disappointment, I am not even 100% about a 4 year course. Although I understand the University is regarded very highly and the business school is also first class.

After University I think I either want to secure a training contract with a commercial law firm or alternatively work in marketing/HR.

I hope I have explained my situation with the appropriate information, thank you so much for any advice!!

Thanks,

Ambulare
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ambulare
Hi everyone

When you can't figure something out for yourself, where do you go next? The Student Room of course :smile:

I understand that my university choices are totally up to me, but was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my current situation. I do not have long left to make my choices (by 6 May).

My results last year were BCCU (dropped the U), and I am aiming to turn these into ABB grades. However I am stuck between:

Law LLB - Liverpool University - 3 years - ABB

or

Law and Business BA - Warwick Universtiy - 4 years - AAB

The grades for Warwick are steep and I want to avoid disappointment, I am not even 100% about a 4 year course. Although I understand the University is regarded very highly and the business school is also first class.

After University I think I either want to secure a training contract with a commercial law firm or alternatively work in marketing/HR.

I hope I have explained my situation with the appropriate information, thank you so much for any advice!!

Thanks,

Ambulare

Warwick Firm
Liverpool Insurance

There just is no comparison when it comes to these unis. One is consistently top, the other is more closer to the lower end of the Russell Group spectrum.

If your aim is ANYTHING corporate/business focused Warwick is the place to be. There are so many recruiters that give talks, host events and pencil in networking sessions - many of them being prestigious firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

or

Law and Business BA - University of Warwick - 3 or 4 years - AAB (4 years to turn the degree into a qualifying law degree)

Thanks,

Ambulare

Warwick firm, Liverpool insurance, without a doubt!

(I applied to warwick too, so hopefully I'll see you there :wink: )
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Warwick Firm
Liverpool Insurance

There just is no comparison when it comes to these unis. One is consistently top, the other is more closer to the lower end of the Russell Group spectrum.

If your aim is ANYTHING corporate/business focused Warwick is the place to be. There are so many recruiters that give talks, host events and pencil in networking sessions - many of them being prestigious firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your response :smile:

I think I know the answer to this question, but if I get ABB, is there a chance I could get accepted? It said on Warwick's website that they look at each situation on its own. The only thing is I don't think going from BCC to AAB is a likely situation, despite the fact I am doing quite a few resits lol.
Reply 4
Original post by thehistorybore
Warwick firm, Liverpool insurance, without a doubt!

(I applied to warwick too, so hopefully I'll see you there :wink: )

Ooh what have you applied for? (History by any chance? :wink: )
Ooh what have you applied for? (History by any chance? :wink: )

Nope! Chemical Engineering.

Only joking, History of course :smile:
I don't know much about the unis but I live in Liverpool and I have to say it is a brilliant city to be in as a student.
Reply 7
Nope! Chemical Engineering.

Only joking, History of course :smile:

Haha had me there! I looked at History at the open day :smile: what grades do you need?
Thanks for your response :smile:

I think I know the answer to this question, but if I get ABB, is there a chance I could get accepted? It said on Warwick's website that they look at each situation on its own. The only thing is I don't think going from BCC to AAB is a likely situation, despite the fact I am doing quite a few resits lol.

They definitely won't be lenient with entry unless lots of people miss out on their grades who firmed Warwick.
Haha had me there! I looked at History at the open day :smile: what grades do you need?

AAA, so I'm a little worried!
Reply 10
AAA, so I'm a little worried!

Good luck lol, what were your As grades like if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:
Good luck lol, what were your As grades like if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! I'm going to need it :frown:
AAAB in the end :smile:
Good luck to you also.
Warwick > All your other choices
Hi everyone

or

Thanks,

Ambulare

Hi there.

As I can see from what you've written, it's clear that Warwick is a better choice than Liverpool in terms of securing a training contract at a commercial law firm.

Even if it is 4 years, I still believe Warwick is a better choice. The reputation and the opportunities that Warwick offer would give you an upper hand in my opinion.

However, if you are really concerned about not being able to reach your offer for Warwick, then I would suggest firming Liverpool instead. Nothing is worse than having to call unis during clearing to see if there are any spots left. In the case that you are more confident that you will get better grades, then you might have a chance to aim for better universities through adjustment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
My teacher went to Liverpool and he said it was a beautiful city. However Warwick is in Coventry which is apparently quite dead. You have to see whether the uni rep or the city is more important especially how you'll be spending 4 years at Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi guys,
I have got unconditional offers from University of Liverpool and Warwick University for Msc in Manufacturing Engineering. I am very confused about the choice. Please help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending