The Student Room Group

I'm thinking about a second degree in Midwifery after Law degree!

I am a Law graduate and following my experience in my first graduate job as a Legal Executive, i feel like a career in Law is not for me. Although i enjoyed the academic side of my degree, i did not enjoy working in an office environment.

I often thought about midwifery throughout my degree and now that i know i'm not suited to a career in Law, im thinking about going back to uni. I'm 22 and my close friend is also returning to uni which is making me think i could do the same! Its difficult to decide to just give up on my law career when i think of the three years hard work and i know i would be good at it but i also know i wouldnt enjoy it and thats what is putting me off.

I'd love to hear the any thoughts anyone would have on this or if anyone has been in a similar situation where they wanted to change careers!

Thanks !!
Why do you want to do midwifery?

It is the same thing all the time and then you have terrible night hours,
Reply 2
I feel like it would be a very rewarding job and that everyday would be different. Meeting new faces on a daily basis :smile:
Reply 3
Definitely go for midwifery if you are 100% sure Law is not for you. Even if you don't pursue Law as a career in the future, it would limit you in the sense that you wouldn't be able to work on the NHS.

Always put your happiness first, so if midwifery would make you happy, so be it :biggrin:
Original post by amcl2
I feel like it would be a very rewarding job and that everyday would be different. Meeting new faces on a daily basis :smile:

Do you have any experience of the role of a midwife or an understanding of what they do? If you don't then that should be your first step. It'll help with an application as there's a lot of competition.
Original post by amcl2
I am a Law graduate and following my experience in my first graduate job as a Legal Executive, i feel like a career in Law is not for me. Although i enjoyed the academic side of my degree, i did not enjoy working in an office environment.

I often thought about midwifery throughout my degree and now that i know i'm not suited to a career in Law, im thinking about going back to uni. I'm 22 and my close friend is also returning to uni which is making me think i could do the same! Its difficult to decide to just give up on my law career when i think of the three years hard work and i know i would be good at it but i also know i wouldnt enjoy it and thats what is putting me off.

I'd love to hear the any thoughts anyone would have on this or if anyone has been in a similar situation where they wanted to change careers!

Thanks !!

Work experience is key. Ensure that Midwifery is for you as the idea of being a midwife may be appealing, but in reality you may not like it!

Give your local hospital a ring and try and organise a few days experience.
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies yes work experience is the next step for me to ensure that it's the right path for me! Thanks!
Reply 7
Definitely do some volunteering! I graduated Summer 2014 with a degree in Religion with the thought of becoming a teacher but have just found out I got in to do Midwifery for this September. Getting experience really cemented that I knew I wanted to a midwife rather than a teacher plus the experience boosted my application!
Good luck!
Definitely pursue it if you feel like you've reached the end of the road with Law. I'm in a similar situation and I decided to get work experience before applying to uni again. Not only will it help with your application but it will help you decide if this is really what you want. People have said to me ''rather you than me'' regarding going back to uni to do another degree because of all the time and effort it will take. But the way that I see it is: time will pass regardless and whatever I choose is going to require effort to be successful. So I may as well do something I feel passionate about.

So I say go for it - just make sure you get work experience first. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by amcl2

Thanks !!

Hiya! I am about to apply for Midwifery for September 2016 and I'm currently going into my third and final year of my current degree which is education and early childhood, so if you need a fellow second degree friend to chat to and rant about UCAS, I'm here haha!
Reply 10
Original post by tasha_xox
Hiya! I am about to apply for Midwifery for September 2016 and I'm currently going into my third and final year of my current degree which is education and early childhood, so if you need a fellow second degree friend to chat to and rant about UCAS, I'm here haha!

Hahaha thanks Tasha!! It will definitely be helpful to have someone to talk to about all the ucas details! I'm currently waiting to hear back from my local hospital about work experience ! Lol it's exciting!😊
Reply 11
People find with Midwifery that the want for doing it pops into your head one day or something makes it become apparent to you. I've talked to many current student midwifes and qualified midwifes and they all say around the same kinda things. One day it will just hit you and then you can't stop thinking about it be it your 10 and you've witness your mum/aunt give birth or your 20 and you have a child or you're 16 and watching a pregnant woman walk down the street (all true stories from asking midwives), something in that moment just suddenly clicks.
Then you can't get it out of your head so you research and gain experience only for the want to grow further you just can't explain/pin point exactly why you want to be a midwife you just know you do.
It sounds to me like you have had the clicking moment and you're sure of what you want. Anyone can try and steer you away from it 'long hours,night shifts,underpaid,stressful, no breaks' but at the end of the day you will face all that to feel the satisfaction you get from helping the women their family and also the community.
Good luck with your 2nd degree it will all be worth it in the end.
Reply 12
Well done!! could you please give me more details about the type of volunteering you were doing? Thanks a lot
Reply 13
Personally, I think 17/18 is so young to be deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life and really you can't have the experience to know 100% if you're choosing the right course. I'm 34 now and after a successful start to an investment banking career I'm giving it up because I desperately want to do children's nursing. And guess what my degree was...music!

I say trust your gut instinct. If you already feel the office environment isn't for you then do something that makes you happy :-) if you have the means to go back and do another degree then trust yourself and if midwifery is what you want then go for it with everything you have!

Good luck :-")

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I can totally understand how you feel. I've made a few bad choices in my time. When I was 18 I went to uni to do a law degree. I did the first year but really didn't enjoy it so I switched to molecular biology and genetics. To be honest I think that I chose a science based subject because I didn't really know what I wanted to do and I knew that it was something that I would find easy as science was what I was good at in school and doing my A-levels. I finished the degree and did a masters. I worked for a few years in the field doing research and really didn't like it. In 2011 I decided to to do nursing. It's the best decision I've ever made. I qualified in 2014 and have been working as a registered mental health nurse since I qualified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending