The Student Room Group

Is anybody doing AQA AS English language and literature?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LewisW180598
You don't have to mention ALL of the bullet points do you?

Also I didn't know you were allowed to answer them in a different order. Do you just need to make sure you put he question number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no not at all, my teacher has advised us to answer 3/4 max and do them in detail!! more marks are awarded for focus on discourse and structure too!

i answered the anthology first last year too, as i felt more comfortable approaching the unseen once id used techniques on texts i already knew....not that it really helped haha! but yes deffo answer anthology first, you can prioritise it and its worth more marks so
Original post by Amj97
no not at all, my teacher has advised us to answer 3/4 max and do them in detail!! more marks are awarded for focus on discourse and structure too!

i answered the anthology first last year too, as i felt more comfortable approaching the unseen once id used techniques on texts i already knew....not that it really helped haha! but yes deffo answer anthology first, you can prioritise it and its worth more marks so

Oh okay, thank you! So it doesn't matter if you write your answer to question 2 then write your answer to question 1? Will they not think I haven't answered question 1 if I've straight away answer question 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tmahajumi
Since there's one unseen and one from anthology I'm planning on revising by writing at least 4 essays today using a similar pattern for both.
Intro: Introduce texts by saying briefly why they answer the question (only for anthology). Then CAP context of production, audience and purpose. Mention them separately as comparison.
The rest: Use PEE (point evidence explanation) for each paragraph that is a comparison. First Lexis and semantics (one para. for both texts) then Grammar (sentence types eg interrogative or complex etc.) then structure and graphology. If its a poem mention rhyme scheme or lack of it.
Mainly REFER BACK TO THE QUESTION for each point you make.
In conclusion if you're running out of time you can add another point but sum the a general answer to the question.
For people doing Eng Lang and lit B, do Q2 the anthology question first because its worth 64/100 before the unseen. And deffo take at least 5 mins annotating each text. Feature spotting helps me then as I can just make up an EFFECT for it later in my essay.
And lastly, I've just picked up a note book to write the main bullet points for the stuff mentioned above for every single anthology text.
That's my revision. Good luck!

Thank you that really helped! I have a question of anyone could answer, how do you talk about pragmatics about a text? It's something I'm unsure on
Reply 43
Original post by emwakerley
Yeah apparently that happened to the year above me as well at my college, as they had no clue about the transcript! Hopefully it's a bit nicer this time round!
Well I'm just practicing writing responses, as I'm not sure how to structure an answer. I think as long as you know a least 10 fairly well you'll be okay, least you know you haven't got issue with timing and still got a C overall despite an E! Hopefully my coursework helps me a bit too if that were to happen!

yeah i think the exam board got quite a lot of complaints over the unseen as it was a really ridiculous text, so hopefully this year it should be a lot, lot nicer, fingers crossed!
to structure your answer i'd advise comparing from the outset, in your introduction, so say something like "Both texts show similar/different attitudes about..." then go on to compare their genres, audiences and purposes! then id write about form and structure for one text in para.1, and compare this with the other in para. 2. id continue this structure for several different bullet points- definitely focus on grammar and lexis, and always relate it back to the question!

honestly, my best advice would be not to panic and worry about it. your coursework will be a massive help, and even if you are in the position to resit it's not the worst thing in the world! in fact, i have actually preferred it as i feel like i know what to expect and that my knowledge is much better, as is my essay style, because ive had a further year of practise to develop it!! so try not to stress and stay positive, but honestly if it all goes wrong dont worry- resitting the exam is not the worst thing in the world!
I'm also worried about comparing. Do you compare the bullet points for each text?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Thank you that really helped! I have a question of anyone could answer, how do you talk about pragmatics about a text? It's something I'm unsure on

think of pragmatics as 'reading between the lines'- so some kind of feeling or emotion you infer from the text, and why you think the author/poet might have done this. remember to back it up with evidence from the text though!
Reply 46
I'm also worried about comparing. Do you compare the bullet points for each text?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes- from the bullet points you choose to write about, make sure you use these on both texts. i find the comparison the easiest part to be honest because you can literally say, "this is different to text...." or, "this is similar in text... because..." and you've done it :smile: honestly try not to panic or worry too much just do what your teachers have told you and you will be fine. remember your coursework is a massive help too
Reply 47
Oh okay, thank you! So it doesn't matter if you write your answer to question 2 then write your answer to question 1? Will they not think I haven't answered question 1 if I've straight away answer question 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they shouldn't do no as they mark the paper as a whole so they'd read it and know you'd just answered question 1 after question 2
Original post by Amj97
yes- from the bullet points you choose to write about, make sure you use these on both texts. i find the comparison the easiest part to be honest because you can literally say, "this is different to text...." or, "this is similar in text... because..." and you've done it :smile: honestly try not to panic or worry too much just do what your teachers have told you and you will be fine. remember your coursework is a massive help too

Oh okay thank you so much, I really understand it now. I think I'm going to make some grids for each text with features I can use for each bullet point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amj97
yeah i think the exam board got quite a lot of complaints over the unseen as it was a really ridiculous text, so hopefully this year it should be a lot, lot nicer, fingers crossed!
to structure your answer i'd advise comparing from the outset, in your introduction, so say something like "Both texts show similar/different attitudes about..." then go on to compare their genres, audiences and purposes! then id write about form and structure for one text in para.1, and compare this with the other in para. 2. id continue this structure for several different bullet points- definitely focus on grammar and lexis, and always relate it back to the question!

honestly, my best advice would be not to panic and worry about it. your coursework will be a massive help, and even if you are in the position to resit it's not the worst thing in the world! in fact, i have actually preferred it as i feel like i know what to expect and that my knowledge is much better, as is my essay style, because ive had a further year of practise to develop it!! so try not to stress and stay positive, but honestly if it all goes wrong dont worry- resitting the exam is not the worst thing in the world!

So you would advise to write about each different text in separate paragraphs not to compare them in one paragraph? & thank you so much you've been a huge help, hopefully it's not too bad tomorrow!!
I'm so glad there's a thread for this! Does anyone know how to compare form and structure and relate it to the question? I'm really struggling trying to find the writer's meaning within the form and structure.
Original post by Amj97
think of pragmatics as 'reading between the lines'- so some kind of feeling or emotion you infer from the text, and why you think the author/poet might have done this. remember to back it up with evidence from the text though!

So how would you put that in a sentence in your answer tomorrow?
Reply 52
So how would you put that in a sentence in your answer tomorrow?

so, for example, if i was answering a question and using Text 3- the sweet menu, id quote, "the chair facing me is made of beech", and write how the reader could infer this amount of detail could show how alone he was, and the attention hed pay to someone if they were there with him

does that make sense?
Reply 53
So you would advise to write about each different text in separate paragraphs not to compare them in one paragraph? & thank you so much you've been a huge help, hopefully it's not too bad tomorrow!!

to be honest, i would base it on how much there is to say on one point for each text. if there isnt much id put both comparisons in one sentence, if theres quite a lot or numerous points id split it into two

its absolutely fine i know the feeling so id hate for other people to be the same!!
So how would you structure each paragraph? Would it be like:

"Text X and Y both use (bullet point) to present food as.... For example, in Text X.... Similarly in text Y....."

How would you structure differences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just spoke to my teacher and she said do not write a paragraph on the bullet points. She said to keep the theme your main focus but use the bullet points to compare how the texts present the attitude :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
which texts would you guys put under these topics
- food as a tool for reform
- food as a comfort
- joyous experience
- food as a social label
- food for survival
- nutrition
- cultural reference

I'm trying to make a grid/poster so I can easily choose two texts and make links... could help you guys as well :smile:
Original post by Amj97
so, for example, if i was answering a question and using Text 3- the sweet menu, id quote, "the chair facing me is made of beech", and write how the reader could infer this amount of detail could show how alone he was, and the attention hed pay to someone if they were there with him

does that make sense?

Oh okay thank you, so you don't actually put the word pragmatics in?
Original post by shakaykay
which texts would you guys put under these topics
- food as a tool for reform
- food as a comfort
- joyous experience
- food as a social label
- food for survival
- nutrition
- cultural reference

I'm trying to make a grid/poster so I can easily choose two texts and make links... could help you guys as well :smile:

food as a tool for reform:
A Modest Proposal and I'm not sure what else, perhaps Veg soc?

food as a comfort:
Nigella and grandpas soup

joyous experience:
Grandpas soup and little grey rabbit

food as a social label:
Red meat and veg soc?

food for survival:
I suppose you could twist the q a bit and use grandpas soup (survival of her grandpas memories) and of course Oliver twist

nutrition:
Red meat and veg soc

cultural reference:
The coming of yams and Oliver Twist

I haven't put a lot of thought into these haha just what came off the top of my head

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
I really need desperate help. How do I link language to structure and presentation and context and purpose? Oh and how should I make my plan. Because I overwrite and the worst part is that I've been at a D for all my practice on past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending