The Student Room Group

Is anybody doing AQA AS English language and literature?

Scroll to see replies

What question are you talking about? 1 or 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
- food as a tool for reform:
Vegetarian society and I don't know what else really,
- food as a comfort:
Grandpa's soup, Naughty But Nice, The Coming of Yams etc., The Warden
- joyous experience:
grandpa's Soup, Naughty but Nice
- food as a social label:
Oliver Twist, The Warden
- food for survival:
Oliver Twist, John Torode, Vegetarian Society, Text 32 (the one about toast)
- nutrition:
John Torode, Vegetarian Society
- cultural reference:
Oliver Twist, The Warden, That Surprising Craig Girl, The Coming of Yams
Original post by sagzy22
I really need desperate help. How do I link language to structure and presentation and context and purpose? Oh and how should I make my plan. Because I overwrite and the worst part is that I've been at a D for all my practice on past papers.

You don't have to link language to structure etc.
Here's how I'd write the answer:
- Outline Genre, Audience and Purpose of each text.
-Language of text A linked to audience, purpose and how context has effected the choice of language.
-Language of text B in same style as the above.
-Structure of A and how it links to audience and purpose and whether context has effected the structure.
-Structure of B in the same way.
-Concluding paragraph.
Also, remember to link the two texts together, otherwise the answer tends to be weaker.
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!
Reply 63
predictions of both questions??
Original post by cloclo29

It's pretty much impossible to predict as they could ask anything. Although, I doubt there will be an unseen transcript this year as there was one last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by bethwaller1
You don't have to link language to structure etc.
Here's how I'd write the answer:
- Outline Genre, Audience and Purpose of each text.
-Language of text A linked to audience, purpose and how context has effected the choice of language.
-Language of text B in same style as the above.
-Structure of A and how it links to audience and purpose and whether context has effected the structure.
-Structure of B in the same way.
-Concluding paragraph.
Also, remember to link the two texts together, otherwise the answer tends to be weaker.
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

Ah, Ok. :biggrin: Thanks a LOT! That took me so long to get. And for example if the text is a transcript how would the structure link to audience. I mean, how would language link to audience? I hope you understand my question.
Reply 66
Original post by sagzy22
Ah, Ok. :biggrin: Thanks a LOT! That took me so long to get. And for example if the text is a transcript how would the structure link to audience. I mean, how would language link to audience? I hope you understand my question.

Oh and one more thing!:smile:
Do you have any modal answers to a Unit 1 past paper? By any chance?
Original post by sagzy22

If its a transcript you would say there is an internal audience of both speakers and the purpose would be what each speaker is trying to get out of the conversation. Hope I explained that okay haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sagzy22
Oh and one more thing!:smile:
Do you have any modal answers to a Unit 1 past paper? By any chance?

There's a very very small chance of a transcript re-appearing since it was on last year, but I'm doing A2 as well so I can explain.
-As for audience of a transcript: if it's a spontaneous conversation, there is no audience outside of the people involved in the conversation.
-Purpose of a transcript: the purpose of a conversation basically, and usually it's transactional (aka something is going to come out of the conversation e.g. a purchase)
-Context: Context of a conversation will affect the language of the conversation.

I'll quickly write up a model answer / post part of one that a teacher has given me if that would help?
Reply 69
There's a very very small chance of a transcript re-appearing since it was on last year, but I'm doing A2 as well so I can explain.
-As for audience of a transcript: if it's a spontaneous conversation, there is no audience outside of the people involved in the conversation.
-Purpose of a transcript: the purpose of a conversation basically, and usually it's transactional (aka something is going to come out of the conversation e.g. a purchase)
-Context: Context of a conversation will affect the language of the conversation.

I'll quickly write up a model answer / post part of one that a teacher has given me if that would help?

Yes. OMG I hope im not too much trouble and It will help me tremendously!
Reply 70
Original post by LewisW180598
If its a transcript you would say there is an internal audience of both speakers and the purpose would be what each speaker is trying to get out of the conversation. Hope I explained that okay haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you explained that ok LOL. I was taught that the audience are students of spoken language. So im kinda confused now :confused:
Original post by sagzy22
Yes. OMG I hope im not too much trouble and It will help me tremendously!

Yes omg if you could do that I also would be very appreciative!!!
Original post by emwakerley

It'll help me as well so it's no trouble at all!
Original post by emwakerley

This is a basic overview of the unseen question for the AS paper. I don't think it's as detailed of an answer as it should be, and needs a bit of improvement in that aspect, but it's helpful!
Reply 74
This is a basic overview of the unseen question for the AS paper. I don't think it's as detailed of an answer as it should be, and needs a bit of improvement in that aspect, but it's helpful!

Thanks a lot! I thought it was the seen question though.
Original post by sagzy22
Thanks a lot! I thought it was the seen question though.

Here's an essay from 2014 that got full marks from the Anthology, sorry about the mix up :smile:
I am SO nervous about tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by sagzy22
I really need desperate help. How do I link language to structure and presentation and context and purpose? Oh and how should I make my plan. Because I overwrite and the worst part is that I've been at a D for all my practice on past papers.

Original post by LewisW180598
What question are you talking about? 1 or 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

- food as a tool for reform:
Vegetarian society and I don't know what else really,
- food as a comfort:
Grandpa's soup, Naughty But Nice, The Coming of Yams etc., The Warden
- joyous experience:
grandpa's Soup, Naughty but Nice
- food as a social label:
Oliver Twist, The Warden
- food for survival:
Oliver Twist, John Torode, Vegetarian Society, Text 32 (the one about toast)
- nutrition:
John Torode, Vegetarian Society
- cultural reference:
Oliver Twist, The Warden, That Surprising Craig Girl, The Coming of Yams

Original post by cloclo29

Original post by sagzy22

Hey guys, I've just been having a look at the free resources on the student room - there are a load of great notes, mindmaps and flashcards for AQA AS lang and lit - you can find them here and filter by topic on the left. Hope that helps - good luck!

To give you an idea what they're like, here's a screen shot of a mindmap on 'eating out' to give you an idea of what the resources are like

eating.JPG
Reply 78
Whats the best way to get high marks in both of the sections, such how to write your essay(what should be your main paragraphs) and what to put in each paragraph ? Also what texts would you use for social culture/change???
Original post by (Tom)
Hey guys, I've just been having a look at the free resources on the student room - there are a load of great notes, mindmaps and flashcards for AQA AS lang and lit - you can find them here and filter by topic on the left. Hope that helps - good luck!

To give you an idea what they're like, here's a screen shot of a mindmap on 'eating out' to give you an idea of what the resources are like

eating.JPG

Thanks Tom, these are really handy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending