The Student Room Group

National 5 History - This Friday.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Anyone want to go over Lenin and the Russia Revolution

me please! that would be really helpful, any thoughts on what might come up?
Original post by claraoswald11
me please! that would be really helpful, any thoughts on what might come up?

Absolutely no clue, however, don't worry as I believe there isn't too much to choose from in terms of variety of topics.

Pre-1905 - Tsarist state

1905 revolution - Cause of it and October manifesto and the Duma

Russia in WW1 - Abdication of Tsar Nicholas II/problems faced by the war in Russia and on the frontline/rise of Lenin/Provisional government.

October Revolution - What happened(causes)/Soviets/Red and Whites war

War Communism - what it was and the problems which it inflicted.

That's just a brief overview. We could quiz each other if you wish?
Absolutely no clue, however, don't worry as I believe there isn't too much to choose from in terms of variety of topics.

Pre-1905 - Tsarist state

1905 revolution - Cause of it and October manifesto and the Duma

Russia in WW1 - Abdication of Tsar Nicholas II/problems faced by the war in Russia and on the frontline/rise of Lenin/Provisional government.

October Revolution - What happened(causes)/Soviets/Red and Whites war

War Communism - what it was and the problems which it inflicted.

That's just a brief overview. We could quiz each other if you wish?

thanks! Yeah sure if you'd like!
thanks! Yeah sure if you'd like!

I'll start :smile: Describe the Russian government before 1905.
I'll start :smile: Describe the Russian government before 1905.

Okay.. before 1905 the Russian government was a complete autocracy. The way that Russia worked was that there was simply one leader, Tsar Nicolas Romanov, who had complete and absolute power. There were no elections or any sort of democracy in Russia. The Tsar and his regime had several pillars of autocracy that kept his power supported, which were vital for the Russian government at this time. These included the Russian Orthodox Church, who kept the god fearing peasants on side as they told people to stay loyal to the Tsar as it was believed that god chose the Tsar. There was also the army, who crushed any sorts of strikes, riots and protests against the Tsar, and the Okhrana, a secret police force who infiltrated any revolutionary organisations. Censorship also played it's part as this made sure that only good things were said about the Tsar, and also the Civil service who made sure all of the Tsars orders were carried out. All of these groups ensured that the Russian government at this time stayed strong and could rule with absolute power.

any thing you think I'd need to add? Okay for you.. explain the reasons why there was a revolution in february/march
Okay.. before 1905 the Russian government was a complete autocracy. The way that Russia worked was that there was simply one leader, Tsar Nicolas Romanov, who had complete and absolute power. There were no elections or any sort of democracy in Russia. The Tsar and his regime had several pillars of autocracy that kept his power supported, which were vital for the Russian government at this time. These included the Russian Orthodox Church, who kept the god fearing peasants on side as they told people to stay loyal to the Tsar as it was believed that god chose the Tsar. There was also the army, who crushed any sorts of strikes, riots and protests against the Tsar, and the Okhrana, a secret police force who infiltrated any revolutionary organisations. Censorship also played it's part as this made sure that only good things were said about the Tsar, and also the Civil service who made sure all of the Tsars orders were carried out. All of these groups ensured that the Russian government at this time stayed strong and could rule with absolute power.

any thing you think I'd need to add? Okay for you.. explain the reasons why there was a revolution in february/march

I'd emphasise the fact that the army was on the Tsar's side as that is the main reason the revolution failed in 1905. As well as that, I'd talk about Russification and the reforms which made foreign cultures disintegrate.

The 1905 revolution started for a variety of reasons. The Russo-Japanese war was one of them. Tsar Nicholas went into this war thinking it would be a clear win and a boost to the countries broken nationalism. However, Japan's industrial advances meant they crushed Russia and ran out as comfortable winners. This meant people were extremely against the Tsar's poor decisions and backwardness. Another reason is the lack of political contribution and rights the middle class had. Described to be the richer lower class, the upper class believed their knowledge and literacy was enough to see them contribute to Russia's economic and political changes. Many revolutionary groups were born as a result, seeing revolutionaries such as Lenin and Trotsky emerge. The upper class also used the peasants to oppress the Tsar. On the topic of peasants, they were fed up of the poor factory conditions and were made to realise the opportunity of a revolution through upper-class persuasion. A group of workers marched to Winter's Palace and protested, only to be shot by guards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending